The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2023, 04:34 PM   #1
Mike_The_Grad

Help finding which shocks to order.

Hey everyone, I'm working on a buddy's 72 2wd jimmy that he bought already lowered. The front is just a drop spindle with stock springs and shocks. So that's fine. But the rear is another story. It has a c notch bolted in to the frame. The shock mount are in the stock location with what I'm assuming are stock length shocks but not sure. They definitely are not sitting at the correct angle. They are nowhere near vertical and mostly parallel to the ground. The truck has 2" drop blocks. And I'm assuming drop springs. But I don't know what drop spring amount they used. It also has stock panhard bar.

The plan is to install shock relocation kit from performance online and their double adjustable panhard bar to center the rear end. (From drivers side brake backing Plate to side of frame rail is 11-1/2", passenger side is 10-1/2". So the bar should fix that.) I just don't know what to measure or how to calculate which drop shocks to order. My buddy wants to order everything at the same time. Right now I just measured from the top of the rear axle tube to the bottom of the c notch plate directly above the rear axle tube. And it's roughly 3". Basically putting the top of the axle tube right below where the frame would normally be with out the c notch kit.

Any help is appreciated and just trying to get these last few things done for him so he can truly start enjoying his truck.
Attached Images

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 06:45 PM   #2
Mike_The_Grad

Re: Help finding which shocks to order.

Bump

Old 08-28-2023, 02:10 AM   #3
Richard

Best way to determine full bump shock length (fully collapsed) on a coil spring application is to remove the coils and set it on the bump stop with the full weight of truck. Measure mounting points and get a shock that meets the minimum requirements and has the longest length. For a leaf suspension break down to main leaf and cycle suspension. There are pics and details on the leaf setup in my build thread. Obviously, the new shock mounts and panhard shoud be in place when the process is done.

Last edited by Richard; 08-28-2023 at 02:20 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 02:06 PM   #4
Mike_The_Grad

Thanks Richard. I'm not able to do that because of the way the exhaust is routed. I guess what I'm asking is if anyone knows the specs on the coil springs compressed height for the different drop heights. I think I'm gonna have to get out the tape measure and make some phone calls.