The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2024, 09:52 PM   #1
JORGIE95961

64 sreering column issues, could use some help please

Took apart my steering column to work on some blinker issues. For some.reason when i shift to park my shift tube makes contact with my signal switch housing and rotates it to the left. It almost feels like my shift tube is too far up. Is there an adjustment to bring it down away from the signal switch housing?

Last edited by JORGIE95961; 02-27-2024 at 11:10 PM.
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 03:24 AM   #2
Braunschweiger

Re: 64 sreering column issues, could use some help please

If you take a look here, you will definitely be able to answer many of your questions. Damn great site.

https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebl...lumn-page.html

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 09:30 AM   #3
JORGIE95961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunschweiger View Post
If you take a look here, you will definitely be able to answer many of your questions. Damn great site.

https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebl...lumn-page.html
Thank you!!
That write up is àwesome i have been using it the last few days.
I think i just noticed im suppose to have 3 tabs on top of the shift tube for the signal housing to grab on to and mine only has 2. I am.also missing the bushing that sits on top of shifter tube.( tried makin one out of pvc) .
I would love to know the story of how that tab on the shifter to broke off. Something tells me that the previous owner did some work to it and tried hammering on it. To get that signal switch housing to grab. I'm hoping I'm wrong and that'll fix everything. Along with my makeshift pushing that. I have no idea how I thick it's supposed to be.
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 10:07 AM   #4
mookandairin

That is exactly correct. The last owner or the onde before him was putting in a turn signal switch and thought it would be a lot easier if I just trim this little part off the thing....... oops that thing I cut was for the mounting......... now what? and put it together just so it didnt look jacked up. I know this because it happened to me when I trimmed mine.
I started looking for a replacement one right after I did that stupis trim of the turn signal housing and found one on ebay. If I was going tpo look for another one thats where I would start and marketplace. I was looking for column parts or some column I couls just rob one from. The search wasnt the easiest but it is doable. gotta think outside the box sort of sometimes
mookandairin is offline   Reply With Quote