The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2020, 12:46 AM   #1
Nappers

1964 Chevy C-10

Greetings gang,

Long time lurker, answered a few questions etc. I never showed my truck.

1964 Chevy C10, original 230 SM 420 long bed small window.

New rebuilt front end(ball joints, bushings etc)
re-manufactured crate 350
Edelbrock spread bore intake (2101 I think)
Summit Racing 750cfm Quadrajet
Dynomax BlackJack headers
New shocks
rebuilt/cleaned/replaced some componets all 4 drums
New rear springs
Cleaned and sparkly other places, some LED bulbs in dash etc.
Since pictures taken, I got my tach back in mounted on the steering column. It has the typical front fenders flapping in the wind and a little rust on the rockers. Bed wood is only rotted in one spot. I will probably mill my own wood, nothing special and keep camper on it. It has a carpet kit with cushions in the back.

Future plans, paint, recover bench seat or newer model truck seats, restore the camper shell and continue to clean and paint the engine bay.

Long story, but shortly after installing my new re-manufactured crate 350, the lower radiator hose popped off and didn't realize it while on a cruise. I started to hear a ticking sound, pulled over and steam started to pour out of under the hood. After a call to the wife, she brought a screwdriver and 4 gallons of distilled water. Needless to say, I got back on the road to a smoking, hardly running truck. After some exploratory surgery and a set of used heads, I cleaned them with new valve stem seals and lapped the valves. After a quaint compression test (180 across the board) and leak down test was positive I proceeded. I put 2 new push rods as 2 were bent, new plugs, timed her and she ran good. Engine not under warranty as I cooked it. My parts guy gave me money off of replacement parts and gaskets. I was going to buy a brand new crate motor, but wanted to keep things at a lower cost.

Thanks for looking.

Nappers - Aaron (or A-A-Ron)
Nappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:20 AM   #2
AcampoDave

Re: 1964 Chevy C-10

Nice truck dig the little vent window on the front of the camper. It reminds me of a Gem Top I once had.
I feel your pain on the hose blowout. I ruined the engine on my Toyota Tacoma when the radiator cap went bad. Didn't figure out what happened until my heater quit working for lack of water. I just wasn't watching the temp gauge. Guess I'm just an idiot light kinda guy.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:35 PM   #3
Nappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Nice truck dig the little vent window on the front of the camper. It reminds me of a Gem Top I once had.
I feel your pain on the hose blowout. I ruined the engine on my Toyota Tacoma when the radiator cap went bad. Didn't figure out what happened until my heater quit working for lack of water. I just wasn't watching the temp gauge. Guess I'm just an idiot light kinda guy.
It's a heart breaker, I didn't even have a 100 miles on it! I can tear a motor apart and heads off pretty quick now. I only had one extra bolt this time too! I think I grabbed out of my stash for some reason or another though. It runs good now, no smoke at all. I plan on getting mufflers as the glass packs sound cool, but they are loud exiting behind the cab. I didn't mind the idiot lights, but liked the look of those Equus gauges.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:20 PM   #4
AcampoDave

My latest truck project is redoing the dash on my '66 with an insert panel and Autometer electric guages. I put a tee on the oil port in the block so I could have a guage and a light. I also used a different spot on the intake to put a dummy light sender for a 235 degree idiot light sender. I should just watch the guages more but I don't. (Even on my Silverado that replaced the Tacoma)....that's why they call 'em idiot lights I guess. At least you were able to salvage your motor. Nice job.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:56 PM   #5
Nappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
At least you were able to salvage your motor. Nice job.
I took it for a cruise today to get my mail and pick up my LMC shipment, new turn signal switch, pedals, some misc clips and tail light lens.

It ran great, got some thumbs up as it rumbles with that 2 1/2" exhaust, headers and Purple Hornie glass packs exiting behind the cab. Funny part is I was going to get some quieter mufflers on it and the wife likes the sound! The only bummer is the speedometer doesn't work and I suspect I didn't put the cable back on when I put cluster back in..... I would love a gauge cluster in it. The little gauges will work for now.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:43 AM   #6
jmarkha1

nice looking truck - love the camper shell.
real shame about the radiator hose but it sounds like you have got it sorted for now - if it runs reliably you can carry on using the truck...
jmarkha1 is offline   Reply With Quote