The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2018, 02:55 AM   #51
28TudorAZ

Re: Starting a 52 Chevy 3100 Project.

Going to set the cab on the frame tomorrow. Hopefully the height is correct.
Attached Images

28TudorAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:19 PM   #52
28TudorAZ

Got the cab sitting on the frame with the bolts in it. What do you guys think of that wheel placement? I thought I read somewhere it will move back a little when it has a motor in it. Does anyone know? Thanks!!!!
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2018, 10:00 PM   #53
joedoh

do you have the grille in? its important to have the grille in because it will push the bottoms of the fenders out.

the s10 front suspension will pull back in the wheel arch as you lower it. so approximate the weight by sitting on it, or having a few people sit on it. if you plan on using drop springs it will move back about an inch, which is why people consider s10 long bed trucks to be 117" wheelbase even though they are 118" on most specs.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:38 PM   #54
solidaxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
When you get the cab mounted, work on the front sheetmetal and mount the hood,
keep us posted!
Just a reminder at this point of your mock up
Try fitting the hood to cowl and fenders
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:48 PM   #55
28TudorAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
do you have the grille in? its important to have the grille in because it will push the bottoms of the fenders out.

the s10 front suspension will pull back in the wheel arch as you lower it. so approximate the weight by sitting on it, or having a few people sit on it. if you plan on using drop springs it will move back about an inch, which is why people consider s10 long bed trucks to be 117" wheelbase even though they are 118" on most specs.

Thanks to both of you. My next step is to get the front put all together and attached. I am then going to mock up the motor. I will not do the final welding of the body mounts till everything is mocked up then pull it apart for a final welding.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:13 PM   #56
28TudorAZ

Have the front all bolted together and set the height.

What do you guys think about the center of the wheels? Will it move back when I put the motor in?
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2018, 09:50 PM   #57
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28TudorAZ View Post
Have the front all bolted together and set the height.

What do you guys think about the center of the wheels? Will it move back when I put the motor in?
You probably want to sit the engine in there before making anything permanent. Pretty much the whole truck is built around the front fender placement, so that has to be spot on. Glad to see the hood is on, that was a mistake I made by setting everything up including the core support and not checking my hood gaps first.

I was a bit crazy with mine. Looked at it over multiple days.

I'd say looking at the same picture of yours, it looks like the wheel is slightly forward. Putting the engine in may bring that wheel perfectly centered though.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #58
gigamanx

Quote:
Going to set the cab on the frame tomorrow. Hopefully the height is correct.
Good looking cab mounts!

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Old 08-07-2018, 12:20 AM   #59
28TudorAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
I'd say looking at the same picture of yours, it looks like the wheel is slightly forward. Putting the engine in may bring that wheel perfectly centered though.

I hope so. I really don't want to redo the mounts. I did just tack them in there but I hate redoing things. I measured it 2" inches in front of that oblong holes on the frame like others had suggested. When you jack up your front end does the wheels come forward?
Old 08-07-2018, 05:25 AM   #60
Dan in Pasadena

Wow! I hadn’t checked in on some threads in awhile and the torches and pitchforks came out and ran Brian out for having an opinion. Sheesh.

Criticize hm for expressing his opinion on a forum that’s ALL about expressing our opinions about AD & TF trucks?

Criticize him for where he lives influencing his opinions?

Criticize him for how much he talks about himself? I talk about myself all the time on my thread. Who ELSE would I talk about?

OP- Good luck on your project. I wouldn’t do it your way and neither would Brian but WTF do you care? It’s YOUR truck and YOUR money. Do it anyway you want and hopefully you’re happy with it but if you’re going to come here and post about it please listen to more than one person’s opinion. Doesn’t mean you have to TAKE their opinion, just consider them.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 08-07-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #61
Shinysideup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Wow! I hadn’t checked in on some threads in awhile and the torches and came out and ran Brian out for having an opinion. Sheesh.

Criticize hm for expressing his opinion on a forum that’s ALL about expressing our opinions about AD & TF trucks?

Criticize him for where he lives influencing his opinions?

Criticize him for how much he talks about himself? I talk about myself all the time on my thread. Who ELSE would I talk about?

OP- Good luck on your project. I wouldn’t do it your way and neither would Brian but WTF do you care? It’s YOUR truck and YOUR money. Do it anyway you want and hopefully you’re happy with it but if you’re going to come here and post about it please listen to more than one person’s opinion. Doesn’t mean you have to TAKE their opinion, just consider them.
I'm behind you on this. I think Brian made great points that need to be thought of before major decisions. We are here to help with our experience. I've watched/helped a friend with an s10 swap and it was anything but simple. I personally woundnt lower an AD truck to that chassis. It is plain to me that joedoh has trolled him and mucked up the OP's thread with his crusade for all things s10. To each his own but dont jump him for an opinion, just state yours ...to the OP.
. [_____(O)_|_'|__}>-------[-_(O)__i'___i (O)-]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
No thank you on that lifetime warranty. I don't want a turd for life.
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #62
gigamanx

Quote:
I hope so. I really don't want to redo the mounts. I did just tack them in there but I hate redoing things. I measured it 2" inches in front of that oblong holes on the frame like others had suggested. When you jack up your front end does the wheels come forward?
SO much easier to redo them now though if they are tacked on. I redid mine twice. First, to move it forward 1/2". The second time because I made the rear mounts too short and had to add an inch. Keep in mind my first comment, every part of the truck is determined by the front fender and core support placement. The rake of the cab, the position of the rear bed, if the cab is centered on the truck, taking out the S10 "lean" to one side....all done with those front fenders and those four mounts

I should add....going up and down is much easier. You can build little spacers between the cab and the rubber mounts, but you can't make a spacer that puts the cab further forward or backward. I ended up having to put a spacer in my core support to push the front fender up a little. Thankfully, the design of the core support mount allowed for a little movement.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:25 AM   #63
28TudorAZ

Quote:
SO much easier to redo them now though if they are tacked on. I redid mine twice. First, to move it forward 1/2". The second time because I made the rear mounts too short and had to add an inch. Keep in mind my first comment, every part of the truck is determined by the front fender and core support placement. The rake of the cab, the position of the rear bed, if the cab is centered on the truck, taking out the S10 "lean" to one side....all done with those front fenders and those four mounts

I should add....going up and down is much easier. You can build little spacers between the cab and the rubber mounts, but you can't make a spacer that puts the cab further forward or backward. I ended up having to put a spacer in my core support to push the front fender up a little. Thankfully, the design of the core support mount allowed for a little movement.
I followed Hussey's design of placement of the mounts but his motor was already in so hopefully when I drop the motor in they move back just a little. I think I am going to try and at least set the motor on the frame this weekend.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:28 AM   #64
gigamanx

Keep us updated. Running truck in three months is ambitious and I thought I was ambitious with a one year project Using the same engine might speed things up since you don't have to build a new cross member, motor mounts, or driveshaft unless you ditch the two piece shaft for a single tube.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #65
joedoh

I always use 2 1/8 forward of the hole but my mounts are based on skymangs so they are 3 3/4 wide, so thats the same as 2 1/4 forward of the oval hole, unless my math is wonky.
I also cut my body mount holes a little larger than the mount for some small wiggle room they are centered on this truck currently though.

IMG_0681 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I chucked a fender on to see how my alignment is, its important to "tuck" the rear of the fender into the recess on the cab, it will almost snap to it. also it is important to level the bottom style line of the fender so it doesnt point up or down.

here is my (fender only)! alignment.

IMG_0682 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

this truck has the Z85 rpo which is the high riding suspension, bigger coils in the front and an extra leaf in the back. so my tire will go back slightly with a drop coil too.

so make sure your fender style line is mostly level with the frame, it could be you have the front pointing down a little.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:58 PM   #66
28TudorAZ

Quote:
so make sure your fender style line is mostly level with the frame, it could be you have the front pointing down a little.
Thanks for the tip. I think it might have been pointing down. I loosened up the fenders from the the cab and raised it, and my dad is coming over tomorrow to help put the hood on again and we will see how it lines up.

I ended up re-using the mounts for the front end from the S10 to mount the radiator support. I am going to drill a hole in the frame and weld a bolt to the top of the frame.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2018, 12:51 AM   #67
28TudorAZ

Quote:
Keep us updated. Running truck in three months is ambitious and I thought I was ambitious with a one year project Using the same engine might speed things up since you don't have to build a new cross member, motor mounts, or driveshaft unless you ditch the two piece shaft for a single tube.
I want it running and driving in a year but if I get it done sooner that would be great. It has the 1 piece drive shaft so it will just need to be shortened. I am using the 350 TBI motor/700R4 from a 91 Chevy. I decided to custom build the motor mounts so I could control more of the height of the motor and maybe not have to hack up the floor board as much. I will custom build the transmission mount as well. I already have in my head exactly what I am going to build and have the metal.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #68
joedoh

I like the wide core mount on bushings too. looks like a good plan!

Quote:
I want it running and driving in a year but if I get it done sooner that would be great. It has the 1 piece drive shaft so it will just need to be shortened. I am using the 350 TBI motor/700R4 from a 91 Chevy. I decided to custom build the motor mounts so I could control more of the height of the motor and maybe not have to hack up the floor board as much. I will custom build the transmission mount as well. I already have in my head exactly what I am going to build and have the metal.

be careful the oil/tranny pans dont stick out below the front crossmember, that is the limit of down for me. if you move the motor back to the firewall, a rcsb s10 driveshaft will fit.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #69
28TudorAZ

Set the motor and tranny in today during my lunch. We are going to set the front end back on tomorrow and see if we can fit a fan and radiator in there.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #70
28TudorAZ

---
Old 08-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #71
28TudorAZ

Got the motor mounts welded in today.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2018, 01:46 AM   #72
28TudorAZ

Decided to reseal the motor before I put it in for the final time.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2018, 08:20 AM   #73
mikebte

Quote:
Decided to reseal the motor before I put it in for the final time.
Good call, nothing like fixing a leak on a fresh rebuild.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:18 PM   #74
joedoh

mounts look great!

you should ask a mod to move this thread to the project section.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:02 PM   #75
28TudorAZ

Quote:
mounts look great!

you should ask a mod to move this thread to the project section.
Thanks I tried flipping the s10 conversion mounts but the height was all wrong.

How do I get a moderator to do that?