The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2020, 05:08 PM   #1
badherb

Headliner

Have a 60 swb. The headliner is metal as everyone knows. I wanted to install a fabric headliner foam backed ( gonna have upholstery guy do this). What I want to ask is there trim kit for the 60 I realize probably not but has someone did this and used something else or am I sol? Thanks
Old 08-10-2020, 12:38 AM   #2
cwcarpenter98

Re: Headliner

I do not think that there is a factory headliner trim for the 60-66 trucks. If I'm wrong, I know someone will correct me

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:01 AM   #3
roll_the_dice

I found this thread where someone made a headliner...

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ight=headliner
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:01 AM   #4
The Rocknrod

No, never seen an aftermarket unit.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:35 PM   #5
forestb

I have a cloth and insulation headliner. Just so that I can have insulation on the ceiling. The upholsterer used velcro to hold it up. Glued one side to the ceiling and sowed the other onto the headliner. It worked well until the heat got to the glue and then it started falling down. Still trying to get the old glue off the ceiling so I can figure out a better glue to use.

Last edited by forestb; 08-11-2020 at 11:17 AM.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:03 AM   #6
AcampoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
I found this thread where someone made a headliner...

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ight=headliner
Hey, that's me! Thanks Dice Roller. I think that's the first time anyone besides me has linked one of my threads. The headliner is still doing well and isn't falling or sagging.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #7
kens65fb

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Quote:
Originally Posted by badherb View Post
Have a 60 swb. The headliner is metal as everyone knows. I wanted to install a fabric headliner foam backed ( gonna have upholstery guy do this). What I want to ask is there trim kit for the 60 I realize probably not but has someone did this and used something else or am I sol? Thanks
If you are going to have an upholstery shop make one for you, and install it, it's not going to be cheap, trust me.

I bought this one a while ago, it's 20% off again, that will take it down to $160.

Installation was a breeze, and the quality was great.

Goes great with my new door panelsName:  Screenshot (38).jpg
Views: 347
Size:  92.4 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by kens65fb; 08-11-2020 at 12:52 PM. Reason: ....
kens65fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:30 PM   #8
The Rocknrod

Wow - What a find. Door panels look great too.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:00 PM   #9
kens65fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Wow - What a find. Door panels look great too.
The headliner is currently available in 8 colors, for $194.99 with an additional 20 % off at checkout.

Here is a pic of my seats & console
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2020, 04:48 PM   #10
verdell

Smile Re: Headliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Hey, that's me! Thanks Dice Roller. I think that's the first time anyone besides me has linked one of my threads. The headliner is still doing well and isn't falling or sagging.
How's it holding up? Velcro still holding it firm and secure? It looks like a great project and you did a A1 job but I'm concerned with it in the deep south heat. It's 98 degrees in the shade right now here in north MS and I don't keep my truck in a garage.
verdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:47 PM   #11
AcampoDave

Summer days regularly get into the triple digit temps where I live and on those days, my garage gets too hot to even spend time inside it. Nonetheless, the headliner stays put. One key to success is to choose a lightweight covering. I later tried to make a gray one out of some thick vinyl fabric and it was too heavy and the thing kept trying to come down. The black vinly stuff you see in my thread is suprisingly thin and light weight. Walmart regularly has plenty of different black vinyl styles but other colors can be a little sparse.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 08-11-2020 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-11-2020, 08:05 PM   #12
AcampoDave

I used these https://www.amazon.com/Noico-Insulat...a-806533907915 under my carpet and they are super sticky squares of foam stuff. I got to wondering as I was applying them, if there would be some way to utilize them in constructing a headliner. If somehow they could be laid out to form and then covered pehaps with a lightweight piece of fiberboad or palstic that you would glue to the non-sticky side then maybe wrap it with vinyl or cloth using the peel and stick side on the back to hold the material where it wraps over. Then peel the paper away from the back of the product and stick it up there.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:49 PM   #13
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
I have a cloth and insulation headliner. Just so that I can have insulation on the ceiling. The upholsterer used velcro to hold it up. Glued one side to the ceiling and sowed the other onto the headliner. It worked well until the heat got to the glue and then it started falling down. Still trying to get the old glue off the ceiling so I can figure out a better glue to use.
They likely used an adhesive backed Velcro. Be sure to get all of the glue off.

Then you can use Velcro with VHB backing or someone on the forum also suggested magnets.

Velcro with VHB: https://www.itapestore.com/3m-dual-l...-the-yard.html
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:58 PM   #14
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
They likely used an adhesive backed Velcro. Be sure to get all of the glue off.

Then you can use Velcro with VHB backing or someone on the forum also suggested magnets.

Velcro with VHB: https://www.itapestore.com/3m-dual-l...-the-yard.html
I was the magnet guy. I decided against it. What is VHB? Somebody else I know suggested using neoprene glue.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:28 PM   #15
jweb

Quote:
I was the magnet guy. I decided against it. What is VHB? Somebody else I know suggested using neoprene glue.
VHB ( very high bond) tape is what all of the emblems are attached with on new cars. It has been tested in very harsh environments and holds up well.

We use VHB tape and the VHB backed Velcro on quite a few parts when assembling the aircraft interiors we make at work.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:37 PM   #16
forestb

I was just looking at the link you posted. This might not work for me because I already have the standard loop style sowed into the headliner. I will have to find a different one that is VHB backed.

Last edited by forestb; 08-12-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #17
jweb

Quote:
I was just looking at the link you posted. This might not work for me because I already have the standard loop style sowed into the headliner. I will have to find a different one that is VHB backed.
How wide is the Velcro in your truck? I have some 1" width that will work with standard hook and loop with VHB here. I could send you some pieces of either the hook or loop that you need for free.

If the 1" will work just send me a PM, let me know if you need the hook or the loop and how long, also your address.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:36 PM   #18
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens65fb View Post
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

If you are going to have an upholstery shop make one for you, and install it, it's not going to be cheap, trust me.

I bought this one a while ago, it's 20% off again, that will take it down to $160.

Installation was a breeze, and the quality was great.

Goes great with my new door panelsAttachment 2039853
Wait i just have 1 question how in the name of all that is holy do you roll down your windows and also open your door with those panels?
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:48 PM   #19
kens65fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFMANmike View Post
Wait i just have 1 question how in the name of all that is holy do you roll down your windows and also open your door with those panels?
These door panel have a strong waterproof fiberglass panel underneath the vinyl, not a fiberboard backing.

First install the door panel, then press the vinyl with your finger to find the shaft, that the handles attach to

Cut a small x with a razor into the vinyl, and push the vinyl to expose the shaft, then attach the handles, with the set screws

Neat & clean
Attached Images

Last edited by kens65fb; 08-12-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:01 PM   #20
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Summer days regularly get into the triple digit temps where I live and on those days, my garage gets too hot to even spend time inside it. Nonetheless, the headliner stays put. One key to success is to choose a lightweight covering. I later tried to make a gray one out of some thick vinyl fabric and it was too heavy and the thing kept trying to come down. The black vinly stuff you see in my thread is suprisingly thin and light weight. Walmart regularly has plenty of different black vinyl styles but other colors can be a little sparse.
hey bro i have this idea im gonna do when i make my head liner for my 65 c10 and i bet it would work well for you too and the heat should not matter so here it is i cant remember what its called but that real thin press board shape it to fit then your foam shape it to fit and last part most important Home depot has Neodymium magnets very strong and they happen to have counter sunk holes in the center of them see where im going here? so place your magnets where you want them then run a screw through the counter sunk hole into that thin press board do it with all the magnets then put a washer and a small nut to keep it from ever coming lose. now comes your foam so that the foam sits flush on its new press board backing use a exacto blade and cut the diameter of the magnet so that when you lay it over the magnets it covers it and sits flush now use the 3m dualloc velcro for your foam that stuff holds 25 lbs! put that on your foam backing and the press board and you my friend are all set!! the idea here is that #1 the strong magnets are holding up the whole thing and heat has no effect on the magnets power # 2 the press board and magnets will be absorbing the full brunt of the heat but your foam will not get as hot it will serve as a insulator and as long as you get strong enough magnets she aint gonna fall hot. cold. or not now i have not made mine yet but its just a idea in my head i thought ide share with you for yours and others who may be into it
Old 08-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #21
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens65fb View Post
These door panel have a strong waterproof fiberglass panel underneath the vinyl, not a fiberboard backing.

First install the door panel, then press the vinyl with your finger to find the shaft, that the handles attach to

Cut a small x with a razor into the vinyl, and push the vinyl to expose the shaft, then attach the handles, with the set screws

Neat & clean
ahhhh ok got ya i was like wait a min here lol
Old 09-12-2020, 05:07 PM   #22
forestb

Yay
Reinstalled my headliner for the first time sense last year with some VHB Velcro. Thanks jweb.
Attached Images