The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Talking GM under dash AC unit

SCORE!

I picked this factory GM under dash AC unit up this morning. Anybody have any info on it? I'm gonna clean it up good and install it in the Ramp truck. I hope to have it done by end of summer. Got to find some other parts first. Got to find a condenser and other motor side stuff. LKQ yard I hope to find something off a late model Tahoe are suburban.
Hoping it will keep the cab cool. I took it out myself this morning of a 68 Impala. I even got the compressor and brackets. The brackets look like C-10 brackets. Not going to use them though. I have a brand new Sanden chrome compressor. I'll buy the brackets for it.
Started cleaning it up to paint the face of it and get it looking like new again.

If anybody has any info on this type unit please post it are send it to me in message please. I want to get it cleaned up and lubricated before I reinstall it.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
weim55

Re: GM under dash AC unit

Is that unit shallow enough to fit under the dash of your truck? The problem with most of these old universal under dash units is they are always too deep to fit 67-72 and stick out well past the edge of the dash and into the third passenger area. Hope yours works, that’s a great find!

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:30 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: GM under dash AC unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim55 View Post
Is that unit shallow enough to fit under the dash of your truck? The problem with most of these old universal under dash units is they are always too deep to fit 67-72 and stick out well past the edge of the dash and into the third passenger area. Hope yours works, that’s a great find!

Steve weim55 Colorado
I have a four speed so it will sit off to the passenger side but I'm hoping it will fit OK. Trucks not here right now but good point. I may need to go see if it will work. I sure hope it does.
Here is some more pictures.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 05-22-2020 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:50 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: GM under dash AC unit

Well I did find one but he sold it. He had pictures of how it should look so that helps me out some and he had the original owner manual with pictures. His was a 69 model though.
I hope I can get this thing working. I'll keep digging for info.
I think I will paint mine to match the ramp truck though. Light red with chrome high lights.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Last edited by Andy4639; 05-23-2020 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: GM under dash AC unit

The unit will fit even if I have to make floor brackets for it!

I started taking it a part this afternoon and washed it all down good let it sit in the sun drying now. I even soaked the motor shaft in Lithium Grease Spray good and hooked it up to 16 volts. It ran great. no noises are binding at all. I will paint all the parts good before reassembly and hope it will hold a charge when hooked up. Gonna be awhile before it's in the Ramp truck but it should work just fine.
Still would like some info on this thing though. I feel it will cool the cab good since it was for a full size Chevy Impala originally.
I guess I will be searching for another set of alternator brackets to swap the alternator over to the drivers side of the truck when I get ready to install it.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 05-24-2020, 06:12 PM   #6
HeavyHauler

Re: GM under dash AC unit

Is your 1971 C10 LWB a original AC truck? If not then where are you going to cut the firewall for the AC hoses to run through?

I would like to have AC on my 1968 Chevy C10 SWB, but I dont want to cut any holes in my firewall. I would have to get creative on where to run them.

That is a nice find by the way!
HeavyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:56 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: GM under dash AC unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHauler View Post
Is your 1971 C10 LWB a original AC truck? If not then where are you going to cut the firewall for the AC hoses to run through?

I would like to have AC on my 1968 Chevy C10 SWB, but I dont want to cut any holes in my firewall. I would have to get creative on where to run them.

That is a nice find by the way!
\

Thanks,
This isn't for the 71. It has AC. But not factory installed, I did the swap many years ago myself. Its got a mix of parts. Factory fire wall look but has upgraded guts for 134-A installed.

This is for the 67 Ramp truck. I will have to drill 2 holes for the lines to go through the fire wall some where but I'm not worried about it. It's a truck and trucks are made to work on and modify! I haven't started looking yet because the truck is in the shop right now having the whole front disc brake swap done from a 86 model.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club