The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
ryanmcb

Suburban Upholstery ideas

Just looking for some feedback. I have an 88 suburban with buckets and the armrest option. The interior in this thing is nearly new but I am finally getting some wear on the drivers side bucket. (see pic). I don't know if I should try to repair this, try to find an original seat, original seat cover, or buy new seat upholstery.
My concerns with new are that it won't match and all other seats look like new. I also think if my seat is wore, than chances are I wont find a used one. My suburban just broke 74k miles.
Anybody have a nice gray bucket or cover? Any recommendations on a company that makes a really good match for the upholstery?

Thank you!
Attached Images

ryanmcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
ryanmcb

Re: Suburban Upholstery ideas

Nobody out there has used an aftermarket company that they are happy with? I was wondering about Classic Industries or LMC and if they have a close match? I really wish I could just find a clean original. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Brothers has OEM style seat covers.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
ryanmcb

Cool. Have you used Brothers? Just wondering if it is a pretty close match. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow.

Ryan
Old 07-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #5
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I have not ordered them from Brothers, but someone here told me most of the companies selling restoration parts for these trucks were getting their seat covers from the same source. I don't know if that's true or not but sounds reasonable. They have ok prices and I planned to order from them for my 79, so I'll be curious to see what you think if you order from them.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 07-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
ryanmcb

Unfortunately Brothers covers won't work. They sale just one cover for all years from 81-91. I called them and they said the picture is on their website is what the cover looks like. It really does not look like my seat. It closely resembles the 89-91 style seat though. Classic Industries sells the same one and had the same response to my question about the year difference. The worst part is they sale all three seats as a package (probably because they don't match the factory). The price is 650 dollars at either place, and they don't separate the set.
Looks like I am really on a quest now to find a nice, gray, bucket seat to replace mine. Someone did tell me that the drivers and passenger interchange though. That helps because there are a lot of nice passenger seats out there.
Any leads would help. Again, looking for a gray bottom section.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 07-31-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Keep your eyes on the classifieds section, it'll pay off. I've bought two pair of bucket seats there from members here.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 07-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
ryanmcb

Thanks, I've been watching everyday. Something will turn up.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:35 PM   #9
bnoon

If I remember right, aren't the seats the same on the bottom cushion for both driver's and passenger's side? If that's the case, you should be able to find a passenger's side seat bottom in good condition no problem. But of course, like me, if you actually need something it magically disappears, but when you're not looking for it there are 5 in a salvage yard. Always happens. I go to the salvage yard pretty much every weekend for a walk-through... if I see anything I'll send it your way.
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:47 PM   #10
ryanmcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoon View Post
If I remember right, aren't the seats the same on the bottom cushion for both driver's and passenger's side? If that's the case, you should be able to find a passenger's side seat bottom in good condition no problem. But of course, like me, if you actually need something it magically disappears, but when you're not looking for it there are 5 in a salvage yard. Always happens. I go to the salvage yard pretty much every weekend for a walk-through... if I see anything I'll send it your way.
I have been told twice now that the bottoms are the same on either side. You are absolutely right, the passenger side should be something I can find in good condition. I appreciate your eyes!