The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2011, 04:19 AM   #1
COLEFORBUS

1971 4wd Jimmy

This is truck I bought from a buddy about a month ago. He has had it for a while and needed to let it go since he doesnt have the time for it. Im a nurse so mechanic work isnt my specialty, but Im intelligent and confident enough to learn to do anything. All ive really done so far is put a new alternator and new power steering pump on it. As you can see from the pictures it has a lot of rust issues. Other problems I need to address are:

1 Fuel gauge/tachometer do not work
2 Gas tank does not fill up properly, I dont think it lets air out when you are filling up and gas pours on the ground.
3 Transmission slips, it doesnt always like to go into reverse and you cant feel it shift into drive.
4 I have the 4wd shifter but dont have the bolt
5 The steering gear leaks
6 I think the front end needs to be rebuilt, it has a lot of play when youre driving. Guess I will know for sure once I get a new steering gear on there.
Attached Images

COLEFORBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Re: 1971 4wd Jimmy

It's always nice to start with a running vehicle...love the 68 nose on a blazer too!

Let me try to help with what you listed:

1 Fuel gauge/tachometer do not work
There should be a wire that's connected to the sender on the tank. Make sure it's all connected and there's good grounds back there. Is the tach aftermarket or stock int he cluster?
2 Gas tank does not fill up properly, I dont think it lets air out when you are filling up and gas pours on the ground.
More than likely your tank isn't properly vented. Is it a stock tank? Many threads on this issue, so take a look at your tank and do a few searches and you should be able to get that taken care of pretty easily.
3 Transmission slips, it doesnt always like to go into reverse and you cant feel it shift into drive.
Ouch...
4 I have the 4wd shifter but dont have the bolt
Don't know anything about the 4wd's, but check the classifieds on the board to see if anyone has what you're looking for. FYI, you have to be a subscribing mbr in order to post a WTB (Want To Buy) ad.
5 The steering gear leaks
Ouch again, but you can pick these up almost anywhere
6 I think the front end needs to be rebuilt, it has a lot of play when youre driving. Guess I will know for sure once I get a new steering gear on there.
I'd go with the box 1st too since it's leaking and then replace what's required.

Good luck with the build!
Old 11-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
COLEFORBUS

The guy that I bought the truck from put that 68 front clip on there. It looks pretty good. My progress is going to be stalled for a while because a buddy of mine passed away last week. He was the guy who had a shop, welder, tools, and basically everything that I need. With winter coming on it will give me time to gather up the tools and parts I need to get this project moving.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
beonkey

looks like a fun project
beonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:08 AM   #5
COLEFORBUS

Its been a while since Ive updated because I havent done much due to cold weather. So I made the 14 hour trip to Colorado to pick up a new tub (1st picture) . It is in pretty decent condition, inner rockers & supports have very little rust, no rust on windshild frame, has a roll bar, and original 72 bench seat. For 250$ I couldnt pass it up, the trailer I rented to tow it on cost more than it did. Wont have more detailed pictures of the new tub until I get some time to meet up with my buddy to use his shop to swap the tubs.

I got it running again over the weekend and decided to go ahead and put a new steering gear on. My progress was snagged when I realized the splines on the coupler shaft (2nd picture) are so worn down I just didnt feel comfortable using it. Luckily, my stepdad has a new one sitting on the shelf in his shop so Im just waiting for it to come in the mail. Its from a early 80s model suburban or pickup but from the pictures he sent me it looks like the exact same as mine. Regrettably I had to clean up and leave the Jimmy sitting in my driveway without the new gearbox in. (3rd picture)
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
COLEFORBUS

I stripped down the old truck and have it ready for the old body to come off. I hauled the new body to the body shop for some rhino lining and welding to support the rear quarter panels next to the tail lights. This is the new body with the inital coat of rhino lining in the interior, tomorrow they will be welding and spraying the bottom and the firewall.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Nice score on the tub! Shouldn't be long before it's drivable again...what's the next plan?