The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
Sambar56

1970 gmc custom help needed.

Hello, my name is Sam and I'm fairly new to all this truck but I've always wanted to learn everything there is to learn about it. I just bought a 1970 GMC CUSTOM TRUCK. It has a straight 6 on it, it's a manual transmission with 4 gears. I'd like to make sure that I can rely on this truck as a daily driver but I don't know where to start. I'll post some pics of the truck later today. I'd appreciate the help.
Sambar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
BLT gmc

Re: 1970 gmc custom help needed.

Welcome to the site. I am fairly new to the site as well and am loving it. The question is where to start? Some of this depends on where the truck has been, was it used daily, regularly, in frequently, or is this a ressurrection. In general I would start with simple tasks like changing fluids, engine oil + filter, flushing coolant and new thermostat, transmission and rear end gear oils. I would also change fuel and air filters. If money and time allows- a tune up - distributor rebuild, spark plugs and wires. Grease the drivshaft if the u joint have zereks and the front end steering and suspension. Consider belts and hoses, heater hoses included. As I type this I am also thinking about items that pertain safety- tires- tread, sidewalls, pressure, steering, and brakes. Good luck Bruce
BLT gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
Sambar56

Awesome! Thanks Bruce I appreciate the help! Would you say I could do all the fluids myself? Or just take it to a shop? As for the condition of the truck, It runs and turns on without a problem so far but the guy I bought it from had it sitting in his driveway for a couple of years

Last edited by Sambar56; 04-15-2014 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Left some info out.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
litew8

With some time and patience, you can learn it all yourself. Buy a Chilton or Haynes at your local auto store and read, read, read - as you go. Before buying all of the above (buy the book), maybe do a quick once over to the engine and ensure it is worth spending the cash on those parts beforehand. Some service literature for our trucks: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=558016

Last edited by litew8; 04-15-2014 at 12:19 PM.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
Tinkermc

Welcome to the Forum, but we live through your printed word and PICTURES
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Sambar56

This is my truck.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
Tropical Snowstorm
Lurky lurky

You have a 3/4 ton truck, so the suspension and brakes are a bit heavier duty than the 1/2 tons. If it is a 70 and not swapped out it should have drum brakes at all 4 corners, the 6 cylinder should be the 292 if I'm not mistaken as well.

Looks like a fun project. These trucks make great daily drivers (assuming you're not scared of a gas pump). I would go through all the fluids (oil, coolant, trans, rear diff) and while changing them check for leaks. Then I would bleed the brakes, change the fuel filter (or add on if there's not one) and see how she does.

I'm sure at first you'll need to adjust and tune things to get it reliable but a few hours and a few dollars it should be a great truck!

Let us know your plans, read the forum for motivation, tips, and tricks, and enjoy your new hobby!
Tropical Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
BLT gmc

Sam,
It is very difficult to advise over the computer, in regards to you doing the work or having a shop do the work. If you are in a hurry, money is not a problem, and you do not mind others touching your truck, by all means take it to the shop. A lot of us take pride in understanding and working on our own property. The work listed above can be done in the garage or driveway with simple hand tools. I really like the truck, GMC and four eyes(headlights). Good luck, Bruce
BLT gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
hugger6933

to pick a truck to learn on the 6 cylinder 4 speed is among the simplest there is and ever was not much to them to make them work so it is pretty easy to pick up on the way things go. like the others have said read study and read some more. Get it safe where it will steer and stop and then it will be lots more fun to drive. Once it is reliable then you can start planning the upgrades that many others on here talk about. B being a fresh starter keep the plans simple and the projects short so that the trucks down time is limited. It is the down time that leads to loss of energy on a project truck and once that ball stops rolling it is hard to get motivated again. Welcome to this site and welcome to the world of old trucks. I will be glad to help you any way that I can short of coming there and doing it myself.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote