The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2004, 11:17 AM   #1
jover

Question Need Front Disc Brake help on my 68

Hey Everyone: Need some pro info from my favorite truck guys. I have a 68 Chevy Stepside, and I've been offered a 77 1/2 ton GMC for parts. My question is, I know this truck has disc brakes and I need to know exactly what I need to take off the 77 and how hard a job it will be to change over. I've heard its a bolt on and pretty easy, but I'm just not too sure. A long time ago I read a post on here about this very same topic but can't remember too much about it. Can anyone help me ASAP, need to take what parts I need before my local junkyard sends it to its demise. Thanks JoAnne
jover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:05 PM   #2
SCOTI

You can swap the entire crossmember as a complete unit or just use all the suspension pieces for your disc brake swap.

I used the spindles/b.joints, brake flex hoses, brake hard lines/prop-valve, rotors, bearings, dust shields, tie-rods/adjusters, drag-link, & sway-bar. I would have also used the control arms because I feel the 73-up rubber bushings ride better, but I already had new 67-72 style solid bushings so I just used them.

Some people feel swapping the entire c-member is easiest. I took stuff apart to rebuild it so just went the piece by piece method.

You will need the correct 67-72 power brake bracket & master cyl/pwr booster for the firewall if you are upgrading to pwr brakes. I've done several of these as have other board members, & theres more than 1 correct way (my way isn't the only correct way is what I mean). If you have any questions.... ask away.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:37 PM   #3
chevytruckfan
Account Suspended

Yes just unbolt flex brake lines, the crossmember (about 8 bolts, on each side from the frame), disconnect the pitmant arm from the steering box, and the idler arm from the frame on the passenger side and it will drop out as a unit. Then if you want to rebuild it ok. I just find it easier to take out and work on as a single unit instead of unbolting everything.
chevytruckfan is offline   Reply With Quote