The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #1351
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Re: Kabwe's aka Bam's build

Yea im a Stoogers fan.

That tank looks great. Is that sliver or grey?
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #1352
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Yea im a Stoogers fan.

That tank looks great. Is that sliver or grey?
Thanks trouble marker.

Its silver I didn't know that sliver was a color.lol
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #1353
chevyrestoguy

Love the wheels, the green color, and the silver on the tank!!!

The truck is going to look great with those deep rims tucked in the back and that green paint glowing in the sun.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #1354
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Thanks trouble marker.

Its silver I didn't know that sliver was a color.lol
I know you still have your color wheel chart from 2nd grade cause you keep everything. Yes silver is a color. LOL
Old 11-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #1355
made2drag

that's looking good man!
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #1356
El Campo

Nice nice!
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #1357
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Alright Bam, your being quiet, whats up, hows the truck coming along?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #1358
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
Nice nice!
Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Alright Bam, your being quiet, whats up, hows the truck coming along?
None of your biz, tell me how is your truck coming first, nosey dang.lol

Not much to report.

I bought some drilled and slotted rotors to match the ones I bought for the rear a long time back. I had a heck of a time finding them for a decent price for my IFS. Ebay sellers are tricky. The would post a decent price only to charge you 60 or 70 bucks to ship.lol They were making their money with the shipping.

Anyway not much to show but I got the suspension parts painted and the rotors installed.

Oh yeah let me share a pic of the 45 Chevy truck that I can't seem to stop helping out with.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 12-04-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #1359
Jesse49chevy

Hello Bam, congrats on all of your projects. It seems that there is nothing you can't tackle and make it look easy. Hope you don't mind, but I have a question. I'm working on my 48, a while back you gave me your opinion on the subframe I bought (73 camaro). You said that for your likings, it ran a bit wide. Well being that i was excited to finally get going, I bought it not thinking ahead or listening to your words of wisdom. Now that I cutoff the chassis and mocked up the clip, I realize what you meant. My desire is to have it nice and low, and it is obvious that I will have fender clearance and turning issues. Someone said I could run skinnies in the front (dang!!! Another question). I see some guys using S10 chassis. So here is my question(s). If I use the 73 camaro ifs, what are my limits or challenges in dropping it, what size tires should /could I use to get the results I desire. Also, I was brainstorming and was wondering, has anyone used the ifs off a S10, Blazer? Could I go that route instead and avoid having to use skinny tires? I appreciate any advise you can throw my way.... Below is some pics of what m working with...thanks
By the way, that's my right hand man in the pic....my best buddy measuring to make sure we hit that 116" on the dot....
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Check out my project:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559086
Jesse49chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #1360
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Jesse49chevy,

I'm going to pm you my number and we can talk about options in detail. It you want to know about S10 stuff xpickup is a good person to ask because I've never done a frame swap it you are thinking of going that route.

So checkout your PM and give me a call.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #1361
oldman3

Bam, good to hear from you again, I was just thinking we hadn't hear from you in awhile...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #1362
Dan in Pasadena

Bam,
Are you using automotive grade paint for those suspension parts? Or is it rattle can stuff? Whatever it is, it looks goood!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #1363
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Bam, good to hear from you again, I was just thinking we hadn't hear from you in awhile...Jim
Thanks buddy its knowing really to report on the truck because xmas is here and no money will be sent on the truck until after the holidays. I have to give my kids great xmas's for their memories. You know how that is.lol But I have so much work to do that will not cost anything but time. But I have a shortage of that lately also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Bam,
Are you using automotive grade paint for those suspension parts? Or is it rattle can stuff? Whatever it is, it looks goood!
Dan,

The suspension parts were painted with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator thinned 20% with lacquer thinner and shot through a spray gun. I did not shot over rust I simply don't believe in doing that I just cleaned the parts up really nice sanded with 180 grit and shot them. Here is a pic of what they looked like in bare metal.

Why the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator? No reason other than I had some laying around not getting used and I wanted to see what it looked like. I like the flat black finish. It seems quite durable after it's cured and its easy to touch up. How durable? I don't know but its only control arms time will tell. I shot the frame with single stage satin black and that is very durable.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #1364
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Dan,

The suspension parts were painted with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator....and... I like the flat black finish.
Uh....huh......Okaaay....but they're SILVER!

So you went over them w/an automotive paint or a single stage (cheaper)finish like Rustoleum w/ a hardner?

As for "not painting over rust" - I couldn't agree more BUT I have a question:

My doors have some rust-through (of course). I'm gonna cut it out and weld in patches. But that will not TOTALLY do away with all the rust.

So I'm thinking I either have to R&R the lower 4-6" of door skin, sand the rust off and replace the skin - a lot of work for a lousy welder, but I'm willing IF I can do it properly. Of course I'd use a weld-thru primer inside.

OR, I can cut out the rust-through and use that opening and the interior openings for my little Craftsman sandblaster and CAREFULLY blast the lower inside of the door before applying the KBS I have. I suppose I could just splash the interior of the door with Ospho for a day or two and THEN put the KBS on(?) What's your advice - given my limited abilities, NOT your very strong abilities?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #1365
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Uh....huh......Okaaay....but they're SILVER!

So you went over them w/an automotive paint or a single stage (cheaper)finish like Rustoleum w/ a hardner?

As for "not painting over rust" - I couldn't agree more BUT I have a question:

My doors have some rust-through (of course). I'm gonna cut it out and weld in patches. But that will not TOTALLY do away with all the rust.

So I'm thinking I either have to R&R the lower 4-6" of door skin, sand the rust off and replace the skin - a lot of work for a lousy welder, but I'm willing IF I can do it properly. Of course I'd use a weld-thru primer inside.

OR, I can cut out the rust-through and use that opening and the interior openings for my little Craftsman sandblaster and CAREFULLY blast the lower inside of the door before applying the KBS I have. I suppose I could just splash the interior of the door with Ospho for a day or two and THEN put the KBS on(?) What's your advice - given my limited abilities, NOT your very strong abilities?
I don't believe in that limited abilities stuff. If you put your mind to it and ask questions you can do a fine job. You have the info now you just need the confidence. Take your time and do it right. Cut out the rust (not surface rust) that eat up stuff and weld in the new piece. You are correct that when I did my doors. I cut the bottoms out sanded all the surface rust off that I could reach, tape off where I would be welding, coated the interior of the door with some epoxy primer, removed the tape, welded together, then shot some zero rust down in the door as far as I could. Now my belief is you can't get too nutty about rust because there will always be areas you can't reach. It took over 50 years for my truck to rust the way it did and I doubt serious if I will be here another 50.lol If I am I will not be able to drive anyway.lol
Old 12-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #1366
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
I don't believe in that limited abilities stuff. If you put your mind to it and ask questions you can do a fine job. You have the info now you just need the confidence.
I AGREE with you. I've always been able to do what I set my mind to. Perhaps not to someone else's standards, but I figure only MY standards count as I'm the one who spent the cash and has to live with the results! I just know that I want the things I do to come out perfect the first time. I'm impatient.

Quote:
.... my belief is you can't get too nutty about rust because there will always be areas you can't reach. It took over 50 years for my truck to rust the way it did and I seriously doubt if I will be here another 50.lol
Unfortunately, I won't be here either. I'm glad you wrote what you wrote. I'm gonna TRY to get everything I can so after it's done I'm proud of it and it doesn't gnaw at me knowing there's rust in there eating my baby! Thanks again, Bam!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #1367
Daze57

Dan in Pasadenea

'' I AGREE with you. I've always been able to do what I set my mind to. Perhaps not to someone else's standards, but I figure only MY standards count as I'm the one who spent the cash and has to live with the results! I just know that I want the things I do to come out perfect the first time. I'm impatient ''

Dan remember -''Patience is a virture until people make it a science ''
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #1368
Daze57

+ Dan - it;ll all come out fine
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:42 AM   #1369
butchp

Hey I went thru the build again and the only pictures of the fuel tank are where you painted it. could you take a picture of the rear view with bumper installed. Or can you tell me if you can see the tank below the bumper. It is time to get the tank. Thanks in advance.
butchp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #1370
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchp View Post
Hey I went thru the build again and the only pictures of the fuel tank are where you painted it. could you take a picture of the rear view with bumper installed. Or can you tell me if you can see the tank below the bumper. It is time to get the tank. Thanks in advance.
Its virtually the same tank that Chuckdriver has, at least its the same company and dimensions. Here is a link to his build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=334552
Old 12-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #1371
CAL 58 GMC

Hey my friend, what's been going on with the 58? I haven't seen any updates lately. Hope all is well and have a great New Years!
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #1372
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL 58 GMC View Post
Hey my friend, what's been going on with the 58? I haven't seen any updates lately. Hope all is well and have a great New Years!
Hey man everything is going fine, no updates on the truck I been busy with my honey do's list. I wish you a great New Years also.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #1373
Chevette

Quote:
Hey man everything is going fine, no updates on the truck I been busy with my honey do's list. I wish you a great New Years also.
This is what I like to do with the "Honey Do" list.
Attached Images

Question: Know how to sell your truck for $50,000?
Answer: Spend $100,000 building it.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #1374
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevette View Post
This is what I like to do with the "Honey Do" list.
Yeah right, man I'm trying to stay married.lol

I did get the fuel lines done. I was going to go with all hard line until I tried to bend 3/8 stainless steel.lol I damn near got a hernia.lol So what I did was run braided stainless steel lines on all the bends and curves in the rear and then ran a 37 degree flared hardline to the front that is a straight shot. It came out pretty nice. I will post pics when I get a chance to get back in the garage.

I have a lot of stainless steel tubing left that I will use on other areas of the truck when I get a better tube bender.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #1375
Chevette

Quote:
Yeah right, man I'm trying to stay married.lol

I did get the fuel lines done. I was going to go with all hard line until I tried to bend 3/8 stainless steel.lol I damn near got a hernia.lol So what I did was run braided stainless steel lines on all the bends and curves in the rear and then ran a 37 degree flared hardline to the front that is a straight shot. It came out pretty nice. I will post pics when I get a chance to get back in the garage.

I have a lot of stainless steel tubing left that I will use on other areas of the truck when I get a better tube bender.
For the "frame to the caliper" I bought "Stop-Tech" braided stainless lines. I will use good quality nickel/alloy from the master to the braided. I figure with the limited amount that I will drive the truck, nickel lines will outlast me and after I'm dead and gone, I could give a rats behind what happens to my replacement.

Question: Know how to sell your truck for $50,000?
Answer: Spend $100,000 building it.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote