The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
kcfirstbuild

What would cause this ?

I started to pull apart my 307 with 55.000 miles on it. I know that the truck has been sitting for 13 years so i just planed on putting new gaskets in it but then i found trouble.
I pulled of the crank and looked at the cam and it was pitted. What would cause that ??

I also notice on some of the water ports of the head there was some weird stuff in them. I would almost say it looks like solder melted and hardened. Not sure what thats about.
kcfirstbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
1949gmc

Re: What would cause this ?

Pitting or rust on any internal part would probably be caused by condensation inside the engine. Condensation will occur during the warm/cold cycles of our seasons.... especially up by you. Think of it this way: the engine is out in the cold all winter long. The first couple of warm (above freezing) days the engine warms up to ambient temperatures, but the oil remains cold, because it's so thick, thus causing the condensation inside your engine. Same thing happens to your gas tank. I noticed a considerable amount of sweat on the gas tank of my '49 back in March. It had just started to warm up outside, but the gas was still cold. Beyond this explanation, I would have no idea what caused the pitting.

Not sure about the stuff in the water jackets without some pics.

Last edited by 1949gmc; 06-05-2010 at 11:41 PM.
1949gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
kcfirstbuild

Could be ?
Old 06-05-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
gkesseru

The blowby gases get absorbed into the oil; the moisture combines with these impurities to make an acid, which eventually eats away the cam and bearing surfaces. This means that you should never store an engine that has old oil in the crankcase.
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The weird stuff in the water jacket might be from a stop leak product. The corrosion is likely from what the others have posted. Since the engine will be pulled apart for gaskets any way, just do a rebuild. As long as it doesn't need a ton of machine work the cost is not that bad doing it yourself or with some help from an experienced friend.

I did a shortblock rebuild for about $400 last year, including honing, mag test the block for cracks, dipping the block and polishing the crank journals.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

Guys have all made various points in which I agree with 100%. Therefore, no need for me to say the same thing. But, I will add this...you now need to rebuild the whole engine and not just swap gaskets.

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280
68jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
cdowns

with the sealer crap in the jacket would scare me// would do nothing less than a hot tank and magnaflux of block and heads to see what you have to start with

at that price i'd in all honesty scrap it and look for a rebuildable 350 core b4 getting that deep into the 307
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
with the sealer crap in the jacket would scare me// would do nothing less than a hot tank and magnaflux of block and heads to see what you have to start with
at that price i'd in all honesty scrap it and look for a rebuildable 350 core b4 getting that deep into the 307
GOOD ADVICE... IT'S CHEAPER TO REBUILD A 350 & YOU GET ALOT MORE OBVIOUS BENIFITS. I LIKE TO HAVE ANY BLOCKS OR HEADS MAGGED BEFORE I DUMP ANY MONEY IN THEM. FOR ME IT'S JUST PEACE OF MIND IF NOTHING ELSE. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
kcfirstbuild

I want to keep it a numbers matching truck, so thats why im sticking with the 307. And its not a hot rod so i wont need alot of horses. I had some one check out what that weird stuff was and they said it was metal that didn't get cleaned out from when the heads were cast.