The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
landarts
landarts

How to remove turn signal ?

Can anyone give me some advice on getting the turn signal mechanism out of 1970 cst steering column. I have already removed the horn and steering wheel and the screws holding the unit on. Seems as though the flasher button wont allow it to come out. Is there a trick?
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
davano

Re: How to remove turn signal ?

Just did this today on a 68' automatic non-tilt colum. Once the turn signal switch is unscrewed completely, lift the side opposite the flasher out first and then the flasher will slide in through the colum and out. The problrm I initially ran into was not knowing how to get the half moon wiring plug through the shifting portion of the colum. Turns out you need to take the wires out of it first which is eaily done by taking a very small slotted screw driver or knife and collapsing the tabs on either side of each terminal and then pull each wire out. You dothis from the plug-in side of the plug where the terminals come through, you'll see very small slots in the black plastic on either side of the terminal. Just make sure to photograph and/or diaram the order of your wires so you know how they go back into the plug for future reference.

David
davano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
Kid

I got mine out by pushing the 4-way button in, then worked it out, "Or" & this hard to explain.. Once you have the 3 screws out that hold the turn signal switch, grab the "cup" that the switch assy. is sitting in (seperate housing ring just above the portion of housing that the shift lever is attached to) rotate the housing counter clock wise approx. 30 degrees & pull toward you. youll have to play with it a little till you find the right spot. When you get the housing assy. off the column, youll see the 2 "bumps" on the column & the notches that have to be lined up whith them to remove & install. I found that this housing assy. had to be removed in order to get the new switch assy installed. Not sure if I helped or just confused you more. Replacing the turn signal switch is one of those things you gotta just "figure it out" as you go.
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
Kid

davano, didi you get the new wires installed without removing the housing? I couldn't... Was alot easier for me to just disassemble the housing..
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote