The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2021, 03:13 PM   #1
chrismeyer78

1972 c10 trailing arm axle measurements?

I have searched and found conflicting measurements. I am trying to swap in a different axle into my 72 c10. I need measurements for the on center for the trailing arm pad mount. I've seen people who have posted old frame measurements from like an old shop manual or something....but not for the axle. I want stock measurements and a pinion angle to weld the perchs on. Surely somebody could give me an angle differnece from the yoke to the pads...or something of the such. I want to paint the axle and put it under the truck once. I understand I could tack it together and mount...then remove and weld it up...and then reinstall it. I don't have an old axle to get the measurements off of. I attached a picture of my situation.

Thanks guys....I really appreciate any help you can give me.
Attached Images

chrismeyer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:07 PM   #2
SkidmoreGarage

Re: 1972 c10 trailing arm axle measurements?

I wouldn't trust a bunch of measurements over just installing it, measuring it and tacking it up. Every truck is just a little different, and it would really suck to have to cut them off to adjust the pinion angle or if the trailing arms bind under articulation.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:18 PM   #3
chrismeyer78

I realize I could just put it in. But from the factory they welded them up first. So why can't I duplicate how the factory did it on a stock restored truck?
Old 04-09-2021, 07:32 PM   #4
SkidmoreGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismeyer78 View Post
I realize I could just put it in. But from the factory they welded them up first. So why can't I duplicate how the factory did it on a stock restored truck?
The factory had fixturing jigs to enable placement, they didn't use a measuring tape. You choose your own path, but if you are fighting putting the axle in an additional time to allow you to paint something before test fit, I suggest you are chasing false economies.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:03 PM   #5
chrismeyer78

That's why I'm confused....if the factory had jigs....why can't I duplicate the factory methods. I've seen complete frame diagrams with every measurement imaginable. These frames were built in jigs too. Im not understanding why I would want to just mount it and wing it from there. It's not a lowered truck with all this custom suspension stuff. I know that I can put it in first....was just hoping somebody could help with measurements and factory pinion angles.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:45 PM   #6
69GMC2004

Quote:
That's why I'm confused....if the factory had jigs....why can't I duplicate the factory methods. I've seen complete frame diagrams with every measurement imaginable. These frames were built in jigs too. Im not understanding why I would want to just mount it and wing it from there. It's not a lowered truck with all this custom suspension stuff. I know that I can put it in first....was just hoping somebody could help with measurements and factory pinion angles.
I wouldn't exactly call that winging it unless your plan was to eyeball it and say good enough and weld er up. If you mock up the axle you can center it in the frame (because even if you have frame measurements they were never all that exact, they all had tolerances, and not to mention there could be a lot of flex or possible previous collisions/repairs in the last 50 years or so), and as for the pinion angle do you want the it to match you trailing arm saddles or do you want to get the right pinion angle to match the angle of your transmission? The only way to get your pinion angle correct is to put it in, put the weight on it and take some measurements.
69GMC2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:22 AM   #7
chrismeyer78

Sorry guys....just thought I'd ask for measurements. I have done axles before with the install and center up method before....I totally understand what your saying. But if a factory can do it before hand....why can't i? Every 1972 factory axle was the same....right? So why can't I just duplicate a factory axle....(which I don't have...hence my question) If u don't have the measurements....please move on. Just thought maybe I could start a thread with factory numbers for these things. Sorry if I sound pissy.....just spend hours googling these things and I can't seem to find anything. Even if this isn't the correct way to do it....I thought maybe I could come up with info to verify what a mock up would be. I really do appreciate all the help.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #8
69GMC2004

Quote:
Sorry guys....just thought I'd ask for measurements. I have done axles before with the install and center up method before....I totally understand what your saying. But if a factory can do it before hand....why can't i? Every 1972 factory axle was the same....right? So why can't I just duplicate a factory axle....(which I don't have...hence my question) If u don't have the measurements....please move on. Just thought maybe I could start a thread with factory numbers for these things. Sorry if I sound pissy.....just spend hours googling these things and I can't seem to find anything. Even if this isn't the correct way to do it....I thought maybe I could come up with info to verify what a mock up would be. I really do appreciate all the help.
If I get my axle out this weekend I can try to get you some measurements.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GMC2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:18 AM   #9
chrismeyer78

That would be awsome! Thanks!
Old 04-10-2021, 12:17 PM   #10
Lee H

My 72 C10.
Attached Images

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote