The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2021, 05:52 PM   #4826
idbeast

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
Thanks I'll call them tomorrow. Meanwhile I will try to make a better tool.
By the way, you are doing some very nice work!
Jim W
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:12 PM   #4827
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
By the way, you are doing some very nice work!
Jim W
Thank you and everyone else on the forum that helps me out. This is my first time doing anything on this level. I have only been a R&R car guy before. I build dry ice manufacturing plants in my real life. I have a good understanding of principals but without the help of others I would be stumbling in the dark. I am and will be forever grateful.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #4828
idbeast

Quote:
Thank you and everyone else on the forum that helps me out. This is my first time doing anything on this level. I have only been a R&R car guy before. I build dry ice manufacturing plants in my real life. I have a good understanding of principals but without the help of others I would be stumbling in the dark. I am and will be forever grateful.
Get ahold of me via PM with any questions you have, I'm on graveyard right now, so it might take a day for me to get you an answer!
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:41 PM   #4829
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
trying to identify the 12 bolt truck rear axle thats in my '49. I know there should be an id number on the axle tube behind the right rear wheel but 70 + years of grease and crap and i cant find it. wire wheel doesnt cut it. may have to take the axle out and media blast it. all this to figure out what drum brakes i have in the rear.
There is some info here. https://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-s...rearend-guide/ It is a bit vague but does give you a little bit to go on.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 11:50 PM   #4830
nvrdone

Thanks for the link. I did figure out that there is a serial number (? ) on the front of the right axle tube. my problem is the many years of grease and dirt covering it up. looks like next weekends project is to soak the area with brake clean and take a wire wheel to it. hopefully i can find the number.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:37 AM   #4831
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
Thanks for the link. I did figure out that there is a serial number (? ) on the front of the right axle tube. my problem is the many years of grease and dirt covering it up. looks like next weekends project is to soak the area with brake clean and take a wire wheel to it. hopefully i can find the number.
You might measure the inside diameter and inside depth of the drum and the width of the shoes. Then take some pics of the installed shoes and the front and rear of the rear end and post it all. Someone here should be able to help you with what you've got.

For extra credit, media blast the front of the right tube while it's in the car. Good Luck!
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:05 AM   #4832
dsraven

Hey dransport, if you dont mind the smell, spray a little diesel on the area and let it soak. Castrol super clean works well too. If you get it cleaned but find it hard to make the numbers out try a quick coat of lacquer, let it dry, then use a fine file lightly over the area, or sandpaper on a wood block. This removes the paint from the tube but leaves the paint in the divets made from the number stamps. It has worked for me before for things like this.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:32 PM   #4833
mick53

I think I'm ready to try again. One of the problems I had with the 4 jaw chuck was getting it tight enough to suit me without deforming it. I went back to the 3 jaw because it lines up with the spokes (6) in the pulley. I also made this thing to hold it against the chuck for piece of mind. I figure if it slips it might not destroy itself and me. I also made a new and improved tool. Nothing left but the doing. I have .004" runout.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2021, 10:15 PM   #4834
mick53

Well I haven't failed yet because I haven't given up. It is now a quest. Here's what I know. Pulley is 6061 aluminum. Coating is type 3 anodizing .002"-.004" thick. The tool bits I'm using are not some overseas sweat shop steel they are repurposed Armstrong high speed cobalt. I think it's pretty hard stuff. The test pulley I made is 6061 aluminum. It cut it like butter. The same tool worked terribly on the first groove on the real pulley. After looking at it I thought I forgot to put a relief cut on the front of the tool. The manufacturer and the anodizing company both told me that machining the finish was no problem. After thinking about it they have probably never done it. I sanded the finish off the face for countersinking and it was a nightmare. It laughed at aircraft stripper and we get the good stuff here. I spent a lot of time making the second tool and was quite proud of it. I checked my tool height and set my RPM's. I ran it in and it Angelina Jolie'd itself and was gone in 60 seconds.
it barely scratched the surface, more like a dent. I took an insert tool and came in from the side at .005" and shaved it off. Gone baby gone. I ordered a nice grinding wheel and some HHS tool bits, probably from a sweat chop overseas. Sorry so long. Thank you for your time.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2021, 10:45 PM   #4835
DransportGarage

Quote:
Well I haven't failed yet because I haven't given up. It is now a quest. Here's what I know. Pulley is 6061 aluminum. Coating is type 3 anodizing .002"-.004" thick. The tool bits I'm using are not some overseas sweat shop steel they are repurposed Armstrong high speed cobalt. I think it's pretty hard stuff. The test pulley I made is 6061 aluminum. It cut it like butter. The same tool worked terribly on the first groove on the real pulley. After looking at it I thought I forgot to put a relief cut on the front of the tool. The manufacturer and the anodizing company both told me that machining the finish was no problem. After thinking about it they have probably never done it. I sanded the finish off the face for countersinking and it was a nightmare. It laughed at aircraft stripper and we get the good stuff here. I spent a lot of time making the second tool and was quite proud of it. I checked my tool height and set my RPM's. I ran it in and it Angelina Jolie'd itself and was gone in 60 seconds.
it barely scratched the surface, more like a dent. I took an insert tool and came in from the side at .005" and shaved it off. Gone baby gone. I ordered a nice grinding wheel and some HHS tool bits, probably from a sweat chop overseas. Sorry so long. Thank you for your time.
I'm betting that you'll get it. Persevere!

I am a little concerned about the .004" runout. I could see that causing a resonance at some RPM if the grooves are not concentric with the O.D. of the pulley, and with the shaft that it's mounted on.
Old 03-30-2021, 12:02 AM   #4836
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
I'm betting that you'll get it. Persevere!

I am a little concerned about the .004" runout. I could see that causing a resonance at some RPM if the grooves are not concentric with the O.D. of the pulley, and with the shaft that it's mounted on.
Well it could have been the coating? I cut it off so it's round now I guess. My secondary radiator has an electric pump on it so it wouldn't strand me. at least the A/C and P/S would still work.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:35 AM   #4837
DransportGarage

That should do it. Looks like you're ready to soldier on!
Old 04-02-2021, 11:11 PM   #4838
mick53

I finished my water pump pulley! I'm calling it a big win. It seems my problem all along was the coating. This is the first time I made a lathe tool from scratch. I used a jewelers file and 500 grit sandpaper to radius the tops and deburr it. Thanks for everyone's advice and support. A special thanks to idbeast. I still need to have it anodized black but they have a $100 minimum so I might wait until I have more to take in.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2021, 02:25 AM   #4839
DransportGarage

Quote:
I finished my water pump pulley! I'm calling it a big win. It seems my problem all along was the coating. This is the first time I made a lathe tool from scratch. I used a jewelers file and 500 grit sandpaper to radius the tops and deburr it. Thanks for everyone's advice and support. A special thanks to idbeast. I still need to have it anodized black but they have a $100 minimum so I might wait until I have more to take in.
Whoa! Nice job!! I suppose you know you'll never run out of stuff to talk about when you show up at a cruise in. The most common stupid question will be, "Where did you buy that?" Maybe put together a numbered picture album so your answer could be "See picture #27", or "See picture #152".

Last edited by DransportGarage; 04-03-2021 at 02:32 AM.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:00 AM   #4840
Rickysnickers

Impressive work!! Top notch
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 05:35 PM   #4841
Black_Sheep

Got the new calipers and stainless brake lines installed after the false start last weekend. I also cleaned inside the front wheel wells and the front half of the undercarriage, including the chrome oil pan, pulleys, etc...

Tired and sore from rolling around on the floor for 2 days.
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:27 PM   #4842
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
Got the new calipers and stainless brake lines installed after the false start last weekend. I also cleaned inside the front wheel wells and the front half of the undercarriage, including the chrome oil pan, pulleys, etc...

Tired and sore from rolling around on the floor for 2 days.
Congrats on going with Wilwood.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:37 AM   #4843
MiraclePieCo

I took the panel truck out for the monthly gathering at the local country store. Fun little show with a couple dozen cars, live music, and food vendors.

BTW: I got my new gauges installed. Dolphin sent me a free replacement set, and they work perfectly. Kudos to Dolphin for great customer service!
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 04-05-2021 at 04:55 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 05:12 PM   #4844
pvienneau

Removed and replaced spark plugs. Holy crap were they covered in thick black carbon. Its amazing the truck started. Seems I've been warming her up with the choke too much. Starts so much easier with the fresh plugs. Had black coming out the tail pipe as well. To much choke.

1949 unmolested Indy Farm Deluxe AD
1949 Standard 4 speed http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=581544
pvienneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:51 PM   #4845
dsraven

Dunno if you are familiar with the old stuff, manual chokes etc, but in general if it is running like it has a big cam in it, "loping", then too much choke. You gotta babysit the old girl, release the choke a little at a time and enough so it still runs but just on the edge.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:58 AM   #4846
evilokc

been driving the wheels off of it lately. love when everything works.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:58 PM   #4847
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
Dunno if you are familiar with the old stuff, manual chokes etc, but in general if it is running like it has a big cam in it, "loping", then too much choke.
Haha, as teenagers, when cruising the main drag we used to pull the choke out to make the car lope like we had a nasty cam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
been driving the wheels off of it lately. love when everything works.
I know what you mean. After getting my gauges sorted out I'm feeling real good about my truck.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:23 PM   #4848
1project2many

Broke the dang master cylinder cover. I actually remembered to keep the battery charged this year so I could get it fired up quickly when I found the right day for first drive. Yesterday was the day. Brake pedal was low so I attempted to open the stock master to check fluid level and it broke in half. Grumbledy grumble. The cylinder date codes to the truck correctly and I'd like to keep it so I guess it's off to Ebay to try and find a replacement cover for cheap.

Last edited by 1project2many; 04-09-2021 at 08:51 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:14 PM   #4849
mick53

I went to Wisconsin and picked up another chassis for the 53 3100. It's in nice shape and was only $150 from a guy on Stovebolt. It should have taken 8 hours but someone put Chicago in the way so it took 11.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:35 PM   #4850
Dan in Pasadena

I FINALLY finished my dad's old masonry box for use in the '55 bed. Considering what I started with I think it finished out nicely. The Chevrolet script is from a 1954 car sourced from eBay.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote