The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #26
jdb_us1

Re: 1990 GMC crew cab build

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa1 View Post
that new hub looks great.
What a night. So disheartening. So I got one hub back from the machine shop as it was the only one he had done (three weeks past when he said he would have both done), go up to the garage excited to be able to turn this hulk back into a roller. Start putting the greased bearings in and look at the seal I have and the inside of the hub where the seal is supposed to sit and I see splines. Hmmmm. Then look at the outside of the hub where the lockout hub is supposed to fit and I find the perfect spot for a wheel seal. Yup. He machined the wrong flange off the hub. So upset. Called the guy and he vehemently denies any wrong doing, that he cut off the flange I told him to. UGH. Now I do what I should have from the get go, go to my favorite junk yard and find a set of SRW front hubs...........
Old 01-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #27
MTCK

That sucks. Nothing worse than having your truck laid up waiting for a shop to do what they say they are going to do. Well I guess it is worse when they don't actually do it. Hopefully SRW hubs are easy to find. They are common up here.

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #28
deejaaa1

yep, that sucks. did he write down your instructions?
Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
...68 Chevy Shortbed... guy clearcoated..and...threw glitter all over it...like he was feeding chickens!!!...
deejaaa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #29
jdb_us1

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa1 View Post
yep, that sucks. did he write down your instructions?
Nope, and when he asked if he cut of the flange I had asked him to I said I didnt remember that it was a month and a half ago. Cest la Vie.

So I was pretty heated through all this and I remembered I have a friend down the road who wants to sell a lathe, tool sharpener, and grinder. Told the wife the hell with it I was going to go buy the stuff and teach myself how to use it and turn my own hubs.

Once I cooled down I realized that by the time I get the tools, find the hubs (if I can only find dually hubs again) learn how to use the tools, then do the work, and put them on the truck I will be retired and the kids will be in their 30's and I wont need a crew cab truck anymore!

I may still get the tools just to have, I guess I am a tool hoarder.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #30
daddyjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb_us1 View Post
Once I cooled down I realized that by the time I get the tools, find the hubs (if I can only find dually hubs again) learn how to use the tools, then do the work, and put them on the truck I will be retired and the kids will be in their 30's and I wont need a crew cab truck anymore!.
You could always buy the lathe and set it up in my shop. I would be happy to show you how to use it and let you come by and use it any time you want. I would love to get a lathe and a mill some day. It sucks about the mix up. New hubs are available, but they are a little spendy.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #31
deejaaa1

i'd like to find a good deal on a lathe......
...68 Chevy Shortbed... guy clearcoated..and...threw glitter all over it...like he was feeding chickens!!!...
Old 02-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #32
jdb_us1

there are a lot of brake and fuel lines on these trucks. Long anyway.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #33
jdb_us1

So progress has been slow, and no pictures to date. The warmer weather motivates me to get working again.

To date I have completed the fuel and brake lines and begun to hang the fenders again in preparation for body work. When I took the truck apart months ago I tagged and bagged all of the body shims I took off knowing they could go right back in. I put them in a special place where they would be safe. They are still there and safe, and I can't find them. I should revert to my old ways and put all hardware in one big tub or scatter it all across the floor as it would be easier to find. Ugh.

Got everything hooked up enough to try to start with dead batteries and found no fuel flow. Needed a new mechanical fuel pump. Fortunately that job is much easier when you can take the fender off.

Still waiting for my guy to pull his dually hubs so I can have them turned....again.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #34
deejaaa1

Quote:
....months ago i tagged and bagged all of the body shims i took off knowing they could go right back in. I put them in a special place where they would be safe. They are still there and safe, and i can't find them. I should revert to my old ways and put all hardware in one big tub or scatter it all across the floor as it would be easier to find........
lol!!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:12 AM   #35
jdb_us1

I've got a friend who works at a metal recycler who is allowed to save stuff that comes in. Apparently he saves alot of good stuff, but fortunately for me he saved a dana 60 front diff. He also dropped off a pair of open knuckle 1/2 ton diffs to replace the closed knuckle units on the 72 chevy project. BACK IN BUSINESS!! Just have to strip the hubs off and haul them to the machinist again and negotiate my price.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:34 PM   #36
deejaaa1

Quote:
I've got a friend who works at a metal recycler who is allowed to save stuff that comes in. Apparently he saves alot of good stuff, ...........
i need a friend like that!
Old 04-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #37
jdb_us1

Update, pics to follow.

New hubs are at the machinist...again.

Rear brakes are all done and pinion angle set and ready to have perched welded back on.

Exhaust pipes are hung but it looks like a gorilla bent them on his tube bender. The p side pipe makes it past the t case and makes a hard bend to port crossing right in the path of the unmade drive shaft

The d side misses the crossmember and dumps to the ground. Crazy. they are walker parts but mail ordered them months ago so return is not an option. Will have to get them rebent.

front seats are in and I am down to a short list of stuff to finish up before she is movable again.

One question I will throw out there though:

The t case is from an 86 GMC reg cab and has a fixed output yoke for the rear drive shaft. I spoke with my driveshaft guy yesterday regarding how he will make a slip shaft without going 2 piece, and he says he wont. I will need to either convert the rear output to a slip shaft yoke or run a 2 piece shaft (which I dont really want to do). Any one have any idea what it takes to swap them?

I dont remember which t case it is but will look tonight hopefully.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:26 PM   #38
jdb_us1

Question answered regarding the slip yoke. Because my driveshaft would need to be 8' long if I eliminated the carrier bearing, it cannot be done in aluminum, and honestly probably shouldn't be done at all. I will have to keep the 2 piece shaft after all. Nice thing is that I have the parts to make the shorter shaft so it will be cheaper.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #39
daddyjeep

You just cant catch a break...first screwed up hubs and now crappy replacement exhaust. I assume that is replacement for factory dual exhaust. Mine was snaked around the transfer case on the passengers side and I thought it was some muffler shop's doing. Must be that is the way it is supposed to be. I cut up a couple older systems that were still in good shape and welded up my own exhaust with both pipes running along the drivers side. There is tons of room under the drivers side.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-28-2017, 08:14 AM   #40
jdb_us1

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
You just cant catch a break...first screwed up hubs and now crappy replacement exhaust. I assume that is replacement for factory dual exhaust. Mine was snaked around the transfer case on the passengers side and I thought it was some muffler shop's doing. Must be that is the way it is supposed to be. I cut up a couple older systems that were still in good shape and welded up my own exhaust with both pipes running along the drivers side. There is tons of room under the drivers side.

[IMG][/IMG]
Ahh, interesting thought. It was supposed to be factory dual exhaust, but, are both legs of the exhaust supposed to run down the driver side frame rail? or down each side and a tailpipe out each side (that is what I was expecting). If both pipes were supposed to exit on the driver side then they might actually be right.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #41
daddyjeep

I believe a pipe is supposed to be on each side. There are exhaust mounts on both frame rails. I did mine this way just to stay away from the tight clearance around the t-case.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #42
jdb_us1

Havent been working on the truck much lately, I have come to the realization that I have too much stuff and have begun selling it off. The boat is gone, and the '59 XLCH is up for sale. I go up to the garage and look around and dont know where to begin, fortunately the crew cab is so big it is an easy choice.
Body work has begun, still don't have the hubs back, but am told they will be done this week. Front seats are mounted, had to make my own brackets and will post some pics tonight. Jeep only has 194k miles, so I have a good 7k miles of time left, or January 1, whichever comes first.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:31 PM   #43
deejaaa1

i hear ya on too much stuff. i work local now so no need for long commutes. so i need to sell the diesel jetta. have the 96 2500 diesel that i started listing parts for sale. no one would buy the complete truck that i could get for scrap price so figure if i can sell a few parts, pull engine and trans, put them in the shop for spares and haul the rest for scrap metal, i'll be ahead of the game. and have more room.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:41 PM   #44
jdb_us1

It is still alive. I have been picking away at this monster and I am proud to say she is back on all four wheels and rolls. Time is a premium now, we listed our house for sale on Tuesday on a whim with a seemingly high asking price, by friday we had a full asking price offer. Oops, no we need to find a suitable replacement.

After putting some time in as available I am getting closer and closer. Seems as thought the clutch master cylinder is shot so I cant move it under it own power yet.

My next move is to weld the rear spring perches back on and I have a few questions that I can use your help on. Perch spacing is first: what kind of gap should I have between the rear spring and the inside edge of the drum? I measure 3.5".

Pinion angle: If my transfer case out put is -8 degrees of off level, and I assume that pro chassis builders know what they are talking about when they say they recommend 6-7 degrees of difference between the pinion and output shaft I should set my rear pinion angle at -1 degree off level. Sound right? I will talk to my driveshaft guy Monday but wanted to try to get a consensus from you guys.

I will hopefully get to take some pics tomorrow in the daylight to show the progress.

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #45
jdb_us1

Truck is back on all four tires. Starts, stops, moves front and back and side to side! Sound deadener and carpet installed, doors jambs painted, cab corners being replaced. Scored a new (to me) bed for $200, and started prepping for paint.

I have determined my 6.2 has no vacuum pump so I am researching options for an electric pump to run my hvac controls. Ford apparently put one on their powerstrokes that can be had for $50-60.

New windshield installed and rear driveshaft made and installed.

Through all of this we listed the house for sale and sold it four days later. The new place has more property but no garage so I had to thin the herd a bit. Disheartening to say the least but realistically it was a good thing. The goal is to have the truck painted and on the road before the October settlement. Read back to my very first post and I am only 10 months past my original goal.......
Old 09-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #46
jdb_us1

First two show the progress to date. 72 got traded for an 84 K20 with a plow, and the 59 got sold due to downsizing.

and the last picture is a public service announcement. Have a friend who lost his 40x100 garage to fire. Among an entire workshop, there were several vintage cars, family photo albums, a tractor cab in the process of being restored, and a room dedicated exclusively to antique hammer guns. The picture shows what is left of several hundred guns......Check for sparks, unplug your rechargable battery chargers......
Attached Images

Last edited by jdb_us1; 09-11-2017 at 03:35 PM.
jdb_us1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #47
deejaaa1

man that sucks. all from a battery charger?
Old 09-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #48
jdb_us1

The state fire marshal was unable to determine a cause but it was suggested as a possible cause. Guy had a snap on chest that was probably close to 8' long, full of tools, complete loss. They had to cut the faces off the drawers and found melted globs of aluminum which used to be air tools. It was bad.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:00 PM   #49
jdb_us1

Truck is in primer, bed is back on. Settlement on the old house is 8 days from today. The goal will be to have color on the body and be weatherproof before the move.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2017, 12:57 AM   #50
deejaaa1

nice!