The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2021, 08:12 AM   #1
jrthe1

327/Saginaw 4 speed-clutch recommendation

Back in October after putting my 66C10 to bed for it's winter nap, I started a thread " Noise when clutch is released. Help" The determination was that my throw out bearing was going bad.

I'm getting my C10 out of storage and plan on replacing the clutch, throw out bearing and pilot bearing.

Wondering what brand and model number clutch kits you might recommend and any other advice you may have for this project. The clutch will be for street use and the motor with a few goodies probably puts out no more than 300 hp. I was told the motor came from a 62 Impala.

Thanks.
jrthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #2
88Stanger

Re: 327/Saginaw 4 speed-clutch recommendation

well I have yet t drive mine but i am going with Mcleod clutch and pressure plate with hydraulic throwout bearing. this does take some modifications no doubt, but is doable.

Not running an excessive amount of horse power makes it easier on the clutch. I think ant name brand will do you good.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:58 AM   #3
AcampoDave

I've always used whatever my local auto parts store is selling. They back up with their exchange warranty and everything is usually fine. Of course there is higher quality stuff out there, but my vehicles have always been pretty mild.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:47 AM   #4
jrthe1

I was hoping for brand names and model numbers. ;-(
Old 04-07-2021, 07:24 PM   #5
AcampoDave

All I can add is; anything labeled as "high performance "or "heavy duty" will require more pedal pressure. I don't think you're going to need something like that with the application you described. I had a heavy duty clutch once back before I knew better. I got rid of it because it was a workout in traffic.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:30 AM   #6
Paul Y

If you are looking for a light clutch pedal with great holding power and longevity can I recommend Centreforce?

I had one in my BBC 56 Chevy - put up with loads of abuse ran high 11's low 12's with 29" tall Mickey T's and was light enough for my wife to drive it without complaint.

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #7
motofly196

You guys are recommending $600 clutches for this application? All you need is a new throw out bearing it sounds like. Check your clutch disc for oil residue, inspect the pressure plate for chatter marks when engaged. If this all looks good, just get a new $30 bearing at your local auto parts store. Reinstall and enjoy.
motofly196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:32 AM   #8
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by motofly196 View Post
You guys are recommending $600 clutches for this application? All you need is a new throw out bearing it sounds like. Check your clutch disc for oil residue, inspect the pressure plate for chatter marks when engaged. If this all looks good, just get a new $30 bearing at your local auto parts store. Reinstall and enjoy.
Good Point...... but he did say he was replacing everything and asked for recommendations on what to get. My clutch is expensive yes, i was just saying the brand i like and have used but which one depends on want and need.

Factors to base what clutch to get I would say are
HP of motor
Use of truck (Race, fun or daily driver)
Size of Clutch
$$ to spend

From that you can figure out what you want to run. Cheap and easy, go to Parts store and get generic replacement. For better and stronger use then go for name brand.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:10 AM   #9
jrthe1

Thanks everyone for your input. I've had my truck out of storage and for a few drives and the damn clutch noise is no longer happening.
I would like but have never had a vehicle fix itself so I'm not too optimistic. I am adopting the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" mindset.
When it breaks, I'll go with inspecting first and replacing whats needed and if it needs a clutch I will go with an inexpensive kit. Thinking Progressive 110647583, Luk 04-021, or Zoom MU1675-1?