The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Question Locking the door????

Ok so I have been rebuilding my 68 step side and yesterday I got the drivers side door back together, but I can not get the door to lock once I close it. It works fine when the door isn't shut but it's like it's hitting something when the door is closed. I worked on it for 2hrs adjusting the door stricker and latch but nothing helped.
What am I missing? The passenger side shut just fine and I can lock it with no problem.
You think it's the latch could just be worn out? I guess I should have bought them new to.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #2
Willys_MB

Re: Locking the door????

I have a similar issue on my 68. I haven't spent the time to fix it, but if I put all my body weight on the door and get it to close the last 1/8" it locks just fine. If you've got new weather stripping on that might be an issue? Have you tried leaning on the door to get it to lock?
Old 12-12-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
maverickmk

Loosen the catch on the door frame and move it out a little bit and see if that doesn't help some.

Not to brag, but I don't need alcohol to make really bad decisions.

1969 GMC Short Step Side
maverickmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Locking the door????

I did all the adjustments I could think of. I even loosened the door latch assembly screw to see if that would help. It didn't! I didn't try leaning on it though. I hope that will get it. As stated I worked 2-hrs on it yesterday and finally called it a day. It was the end of the day and I just got tired of it. I will try again another day.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #5
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I did all the adjustments I could think of. I even loosened the door latch assembly screw to see if that would help. It didn't! I didn't try leaning on it though. I hope that will get it. As stated I worked 2-hrs on it yesterday and finally called it a day. It was the end of the day and I just got tired of it. I will try again another day.
I did all those things too!
Had the latch out of the door several times too.
Finally just bit the bullet and replaced the latch.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #6
Sheepdip

The drivers door on Otis does the same thing, I just give it a nudge inward while turning the key and it locks fine, it unlocks with ease and no issues. I've adjusted, lubed and cussed.
I figure it has something to do with the little arm on the key barrel being just a little too long.....I just live with it.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #7
tdangle

it has to do with the pawl and star wheel. There some posts about it, I don't remember exactly what I had to do, but I believe it was filing a bit of metal off of the pawl to get it to set in the star correctly or something like that

I think I found it: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...door+wont+lock

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #8
Chevys4life

I have the same problem that I just discovered when I tried to lock the driver's door on mine. I have not had the time to see what was going on too!!!
Chevys4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Locking the door????

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
it has to do with the pawl and star wheel. There some posts about it, I don't remember exactly what I had to do, but I believe it was filing a bit of metal off of the pawl to get it to set in the star correctly or something like that

I think I found it: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...door+wont+lock

Thanks I read it. If I pull it out to do this I'll buy a new one and replace it.Thanks for the post though at least I know now it's not something stupid easy I missed.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 12-13-2019, 03:25 AM   #10
mr.precision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
The drivers door on Otis does the same thing, I just give it a nudge inward while turning the key and it locks fine, it unlocks with ease and no issues. I've adjusted, lubed and cussed.
I figure it has something to do with the little arm on the key barrel being just a little too long.....I just live with it.
Same here on my '67. You won't adjust this problem away.
Wear and tear on the pawl and star wheel. Either replace or just live with it.
mr.precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:56 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

I never had this problem. I'm wondering why some material would be need to be filed off the pawl. It must be when new door seals are installed?. I mean, how does the pawl get longer? BTW, if these are dumb questions it's because I didn't read the thread in the link. Just read through this thread which left me wondering

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:21 AM   #12
randy500
Account Suspended

Read the door locking problems explained thread that is linked in my signature line. Your latch is worn out. You cna modify it to work better or buy a repro latch they work well.

NEVER buy a used latch and expect it to work properly, they are all worn out and very difficult to bench test.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:25 AM   #13
randy500
Account Suspended

Sorry, didnt notice someone linked my writeup...
I ground the pawl on my 72 k10 i restored last winter, works pretty well but not quite perfect. Needs just a little more grinding i think. On that one if you push the door handle when locked it releases the latch partially and the lock pawl hangs up,slightly making the key difficult to turn.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:50 AM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Read the door locking problems explained thread that is linked in my signature line. Your latch is worn out. You cna modify it to work better or buy a repro latch they work well.

NEVER buy a used latch and expect it to work properly, they are all worn out and very difficult to bench test.
Thank's Randy500,

It's a pain to take it back out also after just installing it so yes if I take it out it will be to replace it with a new one for sure!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Last edited by Andy4639; 12-15-2019 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:31 AM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

I ordered a new latch so I will be swapping it out next week. I will install the right side also, I got all new keys and door locks for it also.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 12-16-2019, 02:19 AM   #16
lil hoodlum

I replaced the door weather stripping in my truck around 9 years or so ago. I still have to "push in" the driver side door with my knee to lock the door. I also adjusted the door as much as I could to little to no avail. I also heard the pawl and star wheel were the culprits. I had bought a new latch assembly from LMC at the time and it made no difference for my driver door.
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #17
geezer#99

The one I had trouble with I found the star wheel centre pin worn out. Star wheel would twist out of alignment.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:24 AM   #18
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Locking the door????

Well we will findout later this week what is up. I will head over to the shop in a bit to work on the passenger side and pull the drivers side back out to wait on the new one.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 12-16-2019, 08:44 PM   #19
Andy4639
Old member

I installed the new right door latch and it works great. No door adjustment at all. Thank goodness. The drivers side should be here Wednesday. I'll get it swapped also. Got over to the shop and started to put the passenger side door back together and forgot the window!! I had everything else though, vent window rubbers regulator everything but the dang window! Tomorrow another day.
So I decided I would work on the wiring a bit. Got the purple wire ran over to the starter. Got the wiper switch wires ran to the other side of the cluster. Got to strip out the resistor wire for the HEI hook up.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 12-16-2019, 09:43 PM   #20
maverickmk

Nice. I just ordered a new latch because the one on my left door is acting stupid and not working more than it is working.

Not to brag, but I don't need alcohol to make really bad decisions.

1969 GMC Short Step Side
maverickmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:17 PM   #21
Andy4639
Old member

New drivers door latch installed and it's working great. Can lock the door with the key and I didn't have to adjust it any! I'm happy and surprised.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club