The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
jblackwoodc10

79 Chevy SWB Big 10 Build

Well i'm new here but figured this might be a good way to introduce myself. My name is Jason and this will be my second C-10 build. The first (an 85) ended too soon when I made a poor choice on a paint shop. I learned after that you need to do the work yourself if you want it done right. So I will be doing the vast majority of the work on this new project myself.

This was a Craigslist find in my area. I ended up paying the original owner $650 for it. He said his parents bought it when he was 13 and he had been driving it ever since. The odometer went out long ago but he guessed it had more than 300,000 miles on it. The only things he ever had to replace were the water pump and radiator. Everything else is totally original! It has a worn out 350 and the TH-350 transmission that slips and has no reverse... lol It can still be driven but is a pain to take anywhere because of the reverse issue.

This build will probably start off a little slow, but will hopefully speed up next year. My plans to start off with are to get the thing drivable, so I can sell the 2007 Silverado I have that is eating up my project money. I'll probably rebuild the engine and tranny, and redo the braking system to start with. After that it will get an altitude adjustment (probably around a 5/5static drop) and then i'll move on to the interior. Since the truck is so original, I will keep the truck as stock looking as possible, but will be adding the drop and a set of wheels (probably 20's but maybe a 20/22 combination).

Eventually I want to upgrade to either a 5.3 or 6.0 LS but my funding just doesn't support that right now. I am very receptive to inputs so feel free to let me know what you think. If anyone has any advice for me feel free to give it!

jblackwoodc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:02 AM   #2
BIG10

Re: 79 Chevy SWB Big 10 Build

Nice start. I'm digging that rear sport bumper, that's a great score. $650 is a steal for a running truck as straight as yours. I like how it sits now, but I'm partial to rally's with white letter tires. Keep us posted on the progress and take lots of pics.

Oh yeah, welcome to the board.

1978 Big 10 Silverado, 355 + 700R4 + 3.42 + factory tach + A/C + dual tanks + working cruise control = awesome highway cruiser.
BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
jblackwoodc10

Thanks for the welcome! It told ya this would be slow Well another deployment got in the way of progress but I have actually taken the front end off and pulled the motor and transmission. My plans have changed for the moment too. I am getting out of the military at the end of the year and moving back to Texas. The goal right now is to put a new motor and transmission in the truck, redo the braking system, and replace all bushings with a poly kit. I just want to get the truck running now so I can drive it for a few months. Once the move is completed, I'm going to tear it down all over again, paint and powder coat everything, and maybe drop a 5.3 LS in it. But until that happens i'll just post a few new pics...

Name:  Iphone pics 046.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  40.5 KB

Name:  Motor out 1.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  77.4 KB

Name:  motor out 3.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  68.6 KB
Old 08-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
jblackwoodc10

Progress has been slow recently but I have made a little progress. I've noticed that every bushing on this thing needs to be replaced. The control arm bushings were the worst. I put the engine on a stand and began tearing it down as well.

Name:  Truck Pics July 2010 179.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  52.5 KB

I pulled the oil pan off and found out that it was a 2-bolt main, which was pretty dissappointing. I'm probably still going to do a mild rebuild with it to get the truck running again.

Name:  Truck Pics July 2010 169.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  63.6 KB

I did find a new carb and intake for it on Craigslist. $200 for this and the carb is pretty much brand new. I read that this Holley intake was the better one that they made.

Name:  Truck Pics July 2010 201.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  56.8 KB

Next thing on the list is to get the bed off and pull the rearend off to replace all of the seals, paint it, etc. I may probably go ahead and paint the frame while i'm at it.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
R&K's71

hey bud you done anymore on the big 10 lately
R&K's71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
jblackwoodc10

Not a whole lot lately. I did pick up a 454 and a Turbo 400 to stick in the truck. I'm currently in the process of moving as well, so I'm waiting on the move to really get started with it. Hopefully the new house will include a shop?

2007 Silverado, 4.8L, 4L60E, 3.73 gears (Daily driver)