The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Question Front Disc Brakes on a Budget? HELP!

Okay since I am doing a total resto on my '67 Chevy Fleet and suspension is one of many items that will be tackled, along with other upgrades brakes is a very real world reality. So instead of buying someone elses' kit what year model has the spindles (will buy drop later) for my year truck? I will buy new rotors later but if I can find a complete setup I will do that too.

What year models comes with Front Disc Brakes that I could just bolt-on my suspension? The project will be a 4-4.5" front drop in the future with 5" out back (Per ECE recommendations for a long bed). Yes I would love to have the tub A-arms and build around that, but I am trying to be practical and to somewhat keep my spending to the absolute minimum and still have that 'cool factor'.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
mplex2000

Re: Front Disc Brakes on a Budget? HELP!

I believe it's the 72+ you need the front suspension from. However, you might be able to buy just the drop spindles and then used brake components for not much more than the entire used front suspension. I'm thinking you could get used rotors, cheap, and have them turned, buy new pads, and used or rebuilt calipers, plus new or used hoses for pretty cheap. Seems like when I was looking people usually wanted around $300 or more for the front suspension, which to me is a lot for old worn out junk.
mplex2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
C20-67_N_MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplex2000 View Post
I believe it's the 72+ you need the front suspension from. However, you might be able to buy just the drop spindles and then used brake components for not much more than the entire used front suspension. I'm thinking you could get used rotors, cheap, and have them turned, buy new pads, and used or rebuilt calipers, plus new or used hoses for pretty cheap. Seems like when I was looking people usually wanted around $300 or more for the front suspension, which to me is a lot for old worn out junk.
Okay maybe not USED rotors. In fact my budget has been tested over this past summer.

Might just have to go with a quality kit that offers everything I need to make the conversion.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
#169fan

I bought the entire front end as well as the rear end of of a 79 chevy for $100.around here things are a little cheaper than they are closer to the cities though. they came from a local salvage yard and everything is in pretty good shape. Had to turn the rotors, 9 bucks a piece at Oreilly"s and install new brakes. Old brakes were not too bad I just prefer to install new. Bushings were all in great shape. And not to mention I got the sway bar along with it all so now my 69 GMC is equiped with that. It is an extremelly easy swap. You only have to drill a couple of holes and you can"t really screw it up because the front end is already lined up correctly before you drill these holes because the three holes on each side inside the frame rails align everything for you. I have done this swap on a 69 GMC and also on a 66 chevy. You can use the steering box of of the 69 or the 79. The steering arm is the same on both of them. If you want pics of the 79 front end intalled on the 69 frame let me know. The body and motor and everything is still off the truck, so I can get you close up pics of the install pretty easy.
#169fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
C20-67_N_MO

Question Re: Front Disc Brakes on a Budget? HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #169fan View Post
I bought the entire front end as well as the rear end of of a 79 chevy for $100.around here things are a little cheaper than they are closer to the cities though. they came from a local salvage yard and everything is in pretty good shape. Had to turn the rotors, 9 bucks a piece at Oreilly"s and install new brakes. Old brakes were not too bad I just prefer to install new. Bushings were all in great shape. And not to mention I got the sway bar along with it all so now my 69 GMC is equiped with that. It is an extremelly easy swap. You only have to drill a couple of holes and you can"t really screw it up because the front end is already lined up correctly before you drill these holes because the three holes on each side inside the frame rails align everything for you. I have done this swap on a 69 GMC and also on a 66 chevy. You can use the steering box of of the 69 or the 79. The steering arm is the same on both of them. If you want pics of the 79 front end intalled on the 69 frame let me know. The body and motor and everything is still off the truck, so I can get you close up pics of the install pretty easy.

Excellent info there!

In fact I am going to be convert to a quick-ratio power steering box. Will sell the power steering box or use it as a trade-in for the upgrade.

Thanks for the information, as that sounds like it is TONS cheaper than buying from a company that has everything. Honestly I am still up in the air if I want to do it cheap or just keep buying all new parts for this truck.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

hey 169 does it change your wheel width like the kits do?? I have a 70 and want discs at some point
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

C20,... are you keeping it 3/4 ton or converting it to 1/2 ton?
If you think about used parts,... what are you actually going to use?
You already said you will swap to drop spindles later. So what would I use that was a used part? The dust shields. That's it.
While you are spending all your cash on rebuilding the front end, (new ball joints and tie rod ends) why not do it right?
New Calipers
New Rotors
New bearings and seals
New brake pads
New hoses.
Which one of these do you want to replace later?
Then you are good to go for a long time.
I consider these new parts as a minimum. Do you really want to beat the balljoints back apart and install drop spindles later?
Save your cash. Buy Drop spindles,... and head to your local parts house for the rest.
But,... back to the first question,... is it staying a 3/4 ton?

Also,... if you are converting it to 1/2 ton you will need a different lower control arm. (ball joint "hole size" is larger on the 3/4 ton trucks)
I can help you out with that if you need some.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 09-20-2009 at 07:27 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
#169fan

Hottrucks, i just went out and measured the old front end and the one off of the donor to make sure before I opened my mouth. They do measure out the same.Even if it was a little different you could simply adjust the size of tire and wheel you are running, or the backspacing of the wheel, and you would never be able to tell. I did the same swap on my 66 like I had stated, the only difference was on the rearend. on the 66 it was alot more indepth since it was not origionally a leaf spring truck. When it was done, you could not even tell it was not origional. In a coil spring to a leaf spring conversion I found that it was easiest to get the hangers off the donor truck and use them. the back simply bolts up after drilling the holes, the front however was a little trickier since the frame is not 34 inches wide from front to back like the donor. The front hangers i simply just notched them out so the springs would run parallel to the truck and welded them in place. After the frame was coated you could not even tell that it was not factory. I didn"t mention one thing about using the 79 rearend for a 69 GMC, That is that the main issue that will arrise is the shock mounts. On a 69 both shocks are in front of the rearend. On a 79 one faces the front and one faces the rear. Because of the frame being wider directly above the rearend it is going to be easiest to simply cut off the shock mounts from the reaerend and relocate them to mount in the correct direction for a 69. No big deal. Hope some of this makes sense and can help some of you out. Let me know if anyone wants additional info on this subject. I would be glad to help if I can. I don"t always keep up on these posts, so e-mail me directly if I do not answer within 24 hours or so.
#169fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #9
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

i seems all I ever hear about is when you convert from drum to disc it make you wheel srance wider...I don't have $$ for custom wheels no do I want them I'm running stock rallies but I'm bagged and the tires just clear the fender lip so you see my issue

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Old 09-25-2009, 06:39 AM   #10
C20-67_N_MO

Lightbulb Re: Front Disc Brakes on a Budget? HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
C20,... are you keeping it 3/4 ton or converting it to 1/2 ton?
If you think about used parts,... what are you actually going to use?
You already said you will swap to drop spindles later. So what would I use that was a used part? The dust shields. That's it.
While you are spending all your cash on rebuilding the front end, (new ball joints and tie rod ends) why not do it right?
New Calipers
New Rotors
New bearings and seals
New brake pads
New hoses.
Which one of these do you want to replace later?
Then you are good to go for a long time.
I consider these new parts as a minimum. Do you really want to beat the balljoints back apart and install drop spindles later?
Save your cash. Buy Drop spindles,... and head to your local parts house for the rest.
But,... back to the first question,... is it staying a 3/4 ton?

Also,... if you are converting it to 1/2 ton you will need a different lower control arm. (ball joint "hole size" is larger on the 3/4 ton trucks)
I can help you out with that if you need some.
Lo- Yes I am doing a FULL C20 to C10 Conversion.

At the pace my truck is being pieced back together it just might be another year before I am ready to tackle this upgrade. But at least you have set me straight on what I need to do.

Very much appreciate the offer.....
Old 09-25-2009, 06:52 AM   #11
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
i seems all I ever hear about is when you convert from drum to disc it make you wheel stance wider...I don't have $$ for custom wheels no do I want them I'm running stock rallies but I'm bagged and the tires just clear the fender lip so you see my issue

Everyone makes this sound worse than it is.
Yes the track width will be wider than your drum brake set-up,... but no wider than what's stock on the 71-72 trucks.
Also the drop spindles might ad a little width.
Normally a wheel that is 1" narrower will cure this. Like using 7" ralleys up front and 8 inch ralley in the rear.
There are low buck ways to address this.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:25 AM   #12
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

thanx lowlife I guess I'll start prowling around for a set os van ralleys??

do they even make a 6 lug 7" rally or do have to swap the rear too??

Old 09-25-2009, 08:01 AM   #13
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
thanx lowlife I guess I'll start prowling around for a set os van ralleys??

do they even make a 6 lug 7" rally or do have to swap the rear too??
I guess you missed this thread.
They make them,... but they are kinda rare.
Look here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=359217.

Look at 72BlckButy's "Blank Slate" project build. He has 6-lug disc brakes now and the super rare 7" 6-lug ralleys.
Plus he has plenty of pics to show the entire process.

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 09-25-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #14
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

thanx the big swap is this weekend I'll have my buddy keep his eyes open I won't be able to make it so......

Old 09-26-2009, 07:03 AM   #15
C20-67_N_MO

great info there lolife99.

I see everyone else has a tons of helpful questions as well and it really helps everyone to share their ideas and thoughts.

Can't wait until I get to my truck on the Suspension, Brakes & Final assembly. But I know once it gets completed it will be a brand new truck!