The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
barthmonster

67 Longstep very first build !

Okay, got the 1967 Longbed Stepside a couple of years ago for my son. He's 12 now, and he's been after me to get started. So guess it's time to get going on it.

Plans for now are a restoration with a low 'budget' in mind, plus a 383 upgrade from the 250-six. Staying with Hugger Orange, but the white parts will be updated with a sort of white-pearl (ice pearl ??). Also thinking of larger rear tires (4x4 style maybe) and stock front tires. Sort of a 70's look...

Thats in the next 3 years or so. Ultimately by the time he's twenty, it is going to get a 4x4 frame under it.

Enough rambling. Thought I'd find very little rust on this truck, because the cab-corners are sweet and rockers also... But under the cowl I think I'm seeing rust-outs in 1 spot on each side... comments about this ???

This will likely be a long, slow build. But we all know a 'thread' helps with motivation right !!!?
Attached Images

barthmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
barthmonster

Re: 67 Longstep very first build !

My son goes by 67longstep (I think) so maybe he'll chime in here. Don't be afraid to give him encouragement, he's learning how to use tools for the first time and he likes it a lot !!

These are the pics showing the rust-spots at the base of the windshield on either side...

Truck was a Nebraska farm truck with 86K on it w/ 4-speed. Anyone wanting a nice 250-engine will have to PM my son and make him an offer on it. It ran really sweet and probably just needs a few gaskets and a tune-up...!
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
barthmonster

taking offers on the sweet rear bumper too !! Har, har....
Old 09-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Looks like a fun build

I remember when I was 12 or 13 I got my first project truck, a 1946 Studebaker M-5

Are ya gonna keep it a long step ??
I drove a 67 GMC long step for a while & it was the koolest thing

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
67longstep

Talking Re: 67 Longstep very first build !

ya, Im going to keep it as a longbed step, i kinda think its cool because when you go somewhere truck guys recognize it as a longbed stepside cause its unique
67longstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #6
barthmonster

We removed the front-clip today. That was a 2-day job due to some stubborn bolts...
Those rubber grommets under the radiator support can act like NUTS when they've been on 42 years !! I almost had the whole front end jacked up just from the radiator-support !!

Those spots I was calling 'rust' under the windshield seem to be on other trucks I'm seeing too, any chance that's just a spot with caulking in it ??