The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Project Vegas

Well for the last couple of months I have been looking for a decent running decent condition SWB 68-72 truck. I was not concerned to much with what the motor was as I would replaced it anyways.
Well after looking around between the SW I would find fairly rust free trucks that were not painted so you could see what the body was like but they wanted to much money for what they had. If they were painted you could see rust through the paint and so once again no use in buying a painted truck that had to be sanded down and given rust repair.
After all the searching I decided to find a roller and build from there. I found a nice roller from a member in Indiana and am having it shipped out here. Heres a few pics of his roller. Seems everything has been gone through and is pretty much brand new.
The wheels are Boss 304 wheels 22" rears and 20" fronts which are for sale in the parts section as I am going to go with some coys. The motor will be removed as well as it is a nicely rebuilt 305 but I am installing a Vortech Big Block 496 in this truck.
Heres a few pics

vegaschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Re: Project Vegas

Shortly after finding the roller I figured the place I needed to start was getting the sheetmetal in order. I was looking everywhere and even drove to Kingman to look through a junkyard there which had quite a bit of trucks but none of the metal looked to good.
I happened to look on Craigslist friday night (which I look between Vegas, Phoenix, and SO CAL about 20 times a day searching for C10 stuff). Well I found this cab, and doors, and rear bumper on Friday night freshly listed. Called him up told him dont sell it and Ill be right there. Left vegas and headed for Phoenix and picked this Rust free cab up for $300 bucks with a couple scrap doors and this rear bumper which I am not sure if it is Repop or not but have not decided if Ill use it or a roll pan yet.
My current plans are to run 17"-18" Coys, nice wide tires, 4-6" drop, 496 stroker, auto tranny, and nice one color paint and lots of bling under the hood. Im thinking copper, bright blue, red or black for the truck.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

While in Phoenix I was browsing Craigslist on my Blackberry and found this No Limit Billet gauge cluster which was a GREAT deal at half price. SO Ipicked it up as well. I will polish it up and install Autometer Phantom gauges.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Another member 70rs/ss has some other parts I will be picking up form him hopefully this week. We will probably meet somewhere inbetween here and his place and Ill pick up a Vortech 454 with a spun bearing, a front clip form a 67-68 truck as well as two rust free great condition doors, and my BBC towers.
THis guy is very helpful and very nice to work with. Ill have some pics of this stuff when i get it.
Ill also get a few days to reorganize my garage, get my skis in storage ane make some work room. Thats when Ill be asking a lot of questions about the cab as I want to get rid of all unwanted holes in the cab, fill in the rear cargo light hole, weld up the seams nicely, get rid of the drip rails, and anything else I can think of. I am very picking and miticulous, so this will be a great project for anyone wanting to dive in to their truck. I have ZERO experience in body work type stuff but not afraid to jump in and try it out. Hell I have very little welding experience too... buying a new welder this week.
Not to mention this is the first build up of one of these trucks.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
70rs/ss

Man, you scored on that frame, his asking price seemed a little high till you try to duplicate what is on there, Baer Brakes are not cheap!! I'll almost bet he has about his asking price in just the front and rear brakes!!

That cab is a super sweet deal as well, AC cab with what appears to be zero rust!! I like the cargo light, but it your's so delete away!! I was wondering if you had a frame yet, so now I see you do, man you are well on your way to getting this project moving right along. I have always said starting with a done frame is a great way to go, then you add drivetrain, and you are ready to roll!!

Can't wait to see more picts!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
SCOTTMO
powdercoater

Sweet score..hey if you need anything powder coated i know of a good one in your area http://www.snailmotorsports.com/
tell him scottmo sent you
SCOTTMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Ill give them a call.l I am always needing something done for something. LOL

Cannot wait. Talked to the shipper today and they will have a better ETA and pick up once they have a guy dropping in the area later this week.

I also have the motor coming which I can start working on and building. The tranny should be good to go. Cannot wait.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:16 AM   #8
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Picked up a few more parts for the Truck today. Met a member in Kingman and picked up some fenders, complete and nice doors, grill, core support, 454 gen VI block and a 700R4 tranny.
here is a few pics

Old 06-13-2009, 12:19 AM   #9
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Here is a few more detailed photos of my cab. I will be asking lots of questions over the next month as I trim the drip rails, fill the firewall, and get it ready to be perfect!!!

Ill have to figure out how to reinforce and fix these bent cab backsides

Last edited by vegaschevy; 06-13-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:20 AM   #10
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Old 06-15-2009, 12:04 PM   #11
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Waiting on the shipper who should be here some time this morning with my rolling chassis.
Cannot wait!!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #12
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Ground done a few places where I was concerned with on this 99.9% rust free cab I picked up.

heres the pics:

Wondering if you would do anything with this jagged edge. It would have rubber molding around it.

This was the only real area i was aware that bondo had been used. I will have to repair it and did not know if hammering it out or replacing the piece with new sheet metal would be the way to go.

This is on the bottom of both the drivers side and passengers side of the windshield. I am going ot have to say these are suppost to be like this as they are in the same spot on both sides. I am concerned as they were filled and smoothed with bondo. Whats the scoop with these? they drains from the window? should i need to fix them?

This is just a couple other areas. above the windhield on the drivers side and on the fire wall. The fire wall has small pits in it but I am guessing it would be fixed with a thin skim coat.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #13
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

I would hammer/dolly the area out unless the metal is so bad it needs to be replaced. as far as the jagged edge since the window moulding will be going there, i would wirewheel, and por-15 it or something similar. as far as the drip rail seams, I welded these up on my son's truck after cleaning very well, and treating with rust kill. good luck on your build you have a very nice foundation for sure.

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470

Last edited by my67chevytruck; 06-16-2009 at 04:14 PM.
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #14
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67chevytruck View Post
I would hammer/dolly the area out unless the metal is so bad it needs to be replaced. as far as the jagged edge since the window moulding will be going there, i would wirewheel, and por-15 it or something similar. as far as the drip rail seams, I welded these up on my son's truck after cleaning very well, and treating with rust kill. good luck on your build you have a very nice foundation for sure.
Ya the cab is a great cab. not many issues at all.

I decided to have the cab media blasted this week and then will hammer dolly the dent as best as possible. It does not look to bad but they really caked on the bondo there for sure.

WHen you say you welded the seam up are you talking about on the front window? where the gap on each side of the window is. What is the gap there for originally?
Old 06-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #15
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

the gaps are from where the cab pieces joined together and were spot welded, the issue is when the seam sealer breaks down over time allowing water to drip down into the rubber seal to retain moisture and harm our precious metal

I attached a cpl of pics of what i did. I read Bruce88 it's just a truck thread and he is doing this as well.
Attached Images

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470

Last edited by my67chevytruck; 06-16-2009 at 04:31 PM.
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #16
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Nice work my67chevytruck I'm going to be doing that soon on mine. Any pointers?
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
*Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #17
mbgmike

Nice cab. If you are going to fill in the firewall i would recommed the precut panels from a member here. His panels are laser cut and fit like a glove. We can sell you an entire shave wall but you can weld in these panels pretty easy to. I do alot of welding and get tired of it however his are fun to weld in.

Infinati Rides
Gerry

Last edited by mbgmike; 06-16-2009 at 06:54 PM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #18
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

whos panels?

I have a lot of small holes i will need to check to see what all I will need to leave once media blasted.

I also have to make a piece for the interior passenger side as it was cut out.. not sure how it is suppose to look.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #19
70rs/ss

Looking good, how's the frame look!? I have the cab to those doors, I guess I am going to cut it up, it is as nice as the doors, so it sucks to think about cutting it up, but it has been here too long now?! More picts!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #20
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

I finally got the frame. There was some rust underneath the frame before powdercoating as you can see the pit marks but hopefully it was well cleaned before powdercoating,

Also is this rear bar suppose to be riveted at an angle?

Old 06-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #21
Rokcrln

Yes the angle is normal.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #22
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Thank you sir!!! Next on the agenda is getting the cab to a media blaster. I have had quotes for between 500-1000 dollars. Seems like a bit more then anyone is paying around here.
While that is gone I am going to get the motor out of this chassis and get it sold and see if anyone definitely wants the wheels off of here.

THen I think the next order of business is getting a fuel cell and getting it fit in. I want to get a fuel cell guys fuel cell as I believe it will hold 23 gallons of fuel so maybe I can make it 100 miles...

Once the cab is back which will only be a day once I actually find a reasonable media blaster ill start removing the drip rails, getting it all welded and patched back up, filling the fuel filler hole, and rear cargo light, as well as all the holes on the fire wall.

Stay tuned!!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #23
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

double post

Last edited by vegaschevy; 06-17-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #24
seldomseen65
spirit rider66

Location: pahrump, nevada, in the bowels of the Mojave desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaschevy View Post
Well for the last couple of months I have been looking for a decent running decent condition SWB 68-72 truck. I was not concerned to much with what the motor was as I would replaced it anyways.
Well after looking around between the SW I would find fairly rust free trucks that were not painted so you could see what the body was like but they wanted to much money for what they had. If they were painted you could see rust through the paint and so once again no use in buying a painted truck that had to be sanded down and given rust repair.
After all the searching I decided to find a roller and build from there. I found a nice roller from a member in Indiana and am having it shipped out here. Heres a few pics of his roller. Seems everything has been gone through and is pretty much brand new.
The wheels are Boss 304 wheels 22" rears and 20" fronts which are for sale in the parts section as I am going to go with some coys. The motor will be removed as well as it is a nicely rebuilt 305 but I am installing a Vortech Big Block 496 in this truck.
Heres a few pics

Vegas Chevy on your pics, # 3 , right next to your pretty tire on the gray frame you'll have to take the paint off and it will be under that part on the frame rail.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:33 AM   #25
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

I found it right about where the drivers door would be on the top of the frame. plain as day