The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2005, 09:50 PM   #26
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

I have seen this happen twice last week.RR Wheel on the black 1/2 ton,and LR dual on the 1 ton.I wasn't driving either time,but I did get to repair the damage.I would be at the Midas building as soon as they open.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 09:58 PM   #27
Boog
laying low

Good thing your Burb isn't lowered any more that it is or that gas tank may have been a gonner. And your truck.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 05:21 AM   #28
4x4Poet

I can't believe all that brake dust and grime built up since a brake "job" only a few weeks earlier. I think you need to definately have your lawyer examine the Midas workorder/receipt that documents the work "done." Your lawyer should have a professional mechanic compare what the workorder says was "done" with what actually was done, if anything. If you have them on both negligence (overtight lug nuts) and fraud, you shall reap enough money in penalty judgement/settlement to have ECE build you the burb of your dreams. Of course, this info should not be taken as legal advice blah blah blah....
Old 02-27-2005, 08:17 AM   #29
curbyk
69 C-10 project

If they over tightened them on that side...what about the others? I'm sure they used the same tools.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:06 AM   #30
nitor
Too many projects

I hope you get some satisfaction out of this. Were they suppose to put on new brakes, or just check what may be wrong with what you have? When the lugs sheared off, would the drum turn? In any case, they should be the ones that pay to have it repaired.

'55 Chevrolet Pickup
'56 Chevrolet Belair
'04 Chevrolet Astro
'95 Chevrolet Blazer
nitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:54 PM   #31
cojnit
Nothing clever

thanks for the thoughts. The drum was on the ground a few feet from the truck, but I noticed that there are to rivot grooves in the drum. hhmmm anyway I am waiting to her from the insurance adjuster. As usual no one calls when they say they are going to, or show up when they say they are. What is wrong with "professionals" today. No one is held accontable for doing what they say they are going to do.

Anyway I am still in shock. I am getting more confused as each day goes by. I am tempted to go to an attorney outside of the insurance agency (mercury) but dont want to mess up the process.

My biggest problem is it seems that they did not give me a copy of the original receipt back when I got it back the second time. I didnt notice when they handed me the midas envelope. crap.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:05 AM   #32
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojnit
...I am tempted to go to an attorney outside of the insurance agency (mercury) but dont want to mess up the process.

My biggest problem is it seems that they did not give me a copy of the original receipt back when I got it back the second time. I didnt notice when they handed me the midas envelope. crap.
If you haven't informed Midas about the incident, go back with a straight face and tell them you didn't get a receipt for the last job. If they ask why you need it, say you need it to keep track of work done on the truck for resale purposes. Perfectly true and legal.

And no one "in the process" need know you have sought legal counsel. Keep mum with the other parties. Let your personal lawyer advise you on what you should say to whom and when he should publicly enter the fray, so to speak. You need advice on what you are entitled to and how to handle to situation to your legal advantage, with fairness in mind. IOW, CPNE was right.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:13 PM   #33
cojnit
Nothing clever

UPDATE:

Called midas and they faxed me a copy of the reciept. cool. I paid for NEW everything!

Midas so far has said that they are going to belly up and take care of it. I will be on their ass to see just how on top if it they are. Supposedly they have a relationship with a body shop near-by. I looked into this shop and they sound reputable. They are sending over a flatbed tomorrow, lets see what happens.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:29 PM   #34
silvertonguedevil

Good luck!

My Chevy trucks, past and present:

1962 C10 SB Fleetside
1964 C10 LB Fleetside BBW
1966 C10 SB Fleetside
1966 C10 SB Fleetside BBW
1968 C10 SB Fleetside
1971 C10 LB Fleetside
1971 C10 SB Fleetside
1972 C10 SB Fleetside Cheyenne
1972 C10 SB Fleetside Cheyenne Super
1972 C10 LB Fleetside Cheyenne Super
1974 C20 Cheyenne
1979 K5 Blazer Cheyenne
1982 K10 SB Fleetside Custom Deluxe
1982 K10 SB Fleetside Scottsdale
1986 C10 SB Fleetside Silverado
2008 Silverado 1500 4x4
silvertonguedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:42 PM   #35
jamie72

i wish you luck, it really suck we build, take care of, love these trucks, and someone screws up our ride...

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:51 PM   #36
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Poet
I can't believe all that brake dust and grime built up since a brake "job" only a few weeks earlier.
I agree with that,and would use that as an argument.I would think it would be a lot cleaner,of course depending on how many miles you put on in a week.

Good luck.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:36 AM   #37
hotrodtroy

Great news. Hold their @55es to the fire.

"It's o.k. to dream about what you want to do, until you start doing what you are meant to do." Line from "The Rookie"
hotrodtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:46 AM   #38
GreyHoundSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet
My guess is that your insurance will have to pay for repairs and you might be able to get Midas to pay for your deductable. Did you call the police or have any witnesses?
If you take the repair bill to Midas and can show them that they worked on your truck on that side then they might just pay off. They have insurance to cover things like that. My bet is they are going to say that they didn't have anything to do with it and your're on your own. I hope not but that seems to be the way business is done. You should contact your insurance and you can get a free consultation from an attorney sometimes. Good Luck

VetteVet

m
He's right about this. I took my acura to a place a few years ago and had my brakes done and when i picked it up the first time i noticed an awful streaching sound and so i turned right back around and dropped it back off to be fixed right. The next day i get a call saying its done again and i pick it up and dont get half a mile down the road before i have one of the front brake pads come right off the caliper. I had it towed back to the shop i had the brakes done at and told the manager what had happened and can you guess his response? "what do you want me to do about it?" I told him that i wanted him to pay the tow truck driver and fix it right and replace any components that were damaged as a result of their poor work. He said he wasnt going to pay for anything and that it was my problem. The sad thing is that i had a similar experience with my wifes Volvo as well. You just cant get good work done anymore and NO ONE will take responsability for anything they do. Its a sad state of affairs we live in these days and chances are your on your own here.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:32 PM   #39
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

Yep, time for Midas to bend over.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:38 PM   #40
72 Cheyenne K20

Ouch man. Screw Midas. They need to take responsibility for the work they do. They love to hang their little awards saying their #1 in the world at everything, so when their not, make em pay. New brakes my bass. One thing I learned in the Marine Corps. HIT HARD, HIT FAST, HIT OFTEN. Keep on them till they brake, I couldn't resist. Good luck with your burb.

Scott
72 Cheyenne K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:02 PM   #41
cojnit
Nothing clever

well update:

Midas says that it was not their fault. they are blaming old lugs and my rims for the lugs snapping. Although they have admitted to the brakes not being up to snuff, they say that the lug situation is a coincidence. They have replaced the brakes, but are not willing to cover the body work as a result of the wheel displacement.

I am struggling with what kind of attorney to hire, or if it even worh it. should I just threaten a lawyer and see what happens? wont the lawer cost me more in the end? I am going insane with this whole thing. I tried to be honest with them and tell them exactly what happend. I am not trying to get them for injury or scamming them in any way, I just want my car fixed loike it was before this happened.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:13 PM   #42
rgray71

They are a multi-million dollar company. Get a lawyer and make them fix it. It wasn't your fault that their mechanic over tightened those lugs.
rgray71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:15 PM   #43
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

Better business bureau, the newspaper, and the local news. They already shafted you on your brakes and I am sure they don't want that getting around, now do they? This is a 'burban, therefore a family vehicle. I am sure the local news station "peoples advocat" or whatever would be interested in how a "heartless corporation purposely and with malice placed you and your family in harms way, by not only @#$%^ your brake job, but leaving your vehicle unsafe to drive" I would contact anybody and everybody until they do the right thing.
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #44
CHEVY & GMC FOREVER

Well I would threaten them with a lawyer just to get a rise out of them and see what happens and if they chose to continue on there path of stuborness then just get a lawyer to take care of everthing and get your insurence company involved maybe they can make some headway with them to..... best of luck with your burb

1969 CHEVROLET CST-10 PICK-UP
Good memories

1999 Chevrolet Z71 Ext. cab 5.7L
Good Memories

With a quart of oil, and a gallon of gas, she won't let no other car pass!!!.

& FOREVER
CHEVY & GMC FOREVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:24 PM   #45
shifty
Questionable

Talk to an automobile accident and injury attorney. There should be dozens in the phone book.

Almost every lawyer in the book will offer you at least a half hour of free consultation. Most will refer you to someone else if they aren't the right lawyer for the job - laywers are like hyenas, they flock in packs.

Also, most of them will not expect any form of payment unless you make a settlement. Chances are you can probably find a way to make Midas pay for your lawyers fees if a settlement is reached, so you should be able to come out without paying anything if the lawyer is successful.

You're in the right on this one. Fight them tooth and nail. They're trying to intimidate you - when they see you've got a lawyer and that you're serious, hopefully they'll cave in and do the body work.

Meanwhile - settle for a shop that YOU like. If they're going to be assholes here and say they aren't responsible, don't let them have a choice on how your 'burb is repaired in any way, shape or form - you pick the shop, you pick the work.

If they are found responsible for the damage, they are required by law to restore the vehicle to the previously appraised value and/or condition

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:28 PM   #46
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVY & GMC FOREVER
Well I would threaten them with a lawyer just to get a rise out of them and see what happens
4x4Poet is correct - This is usually a bad idea. Companies eat people who do these things for breakfast. The absolute best action you can take is to shut up, don't talk to Midas or the insurance company, call a lawyer who can help and let the lawyer do the talking - again, most of them don't charge unless a settlement is reached.

screamin_c10 has a great idea with contacting the newspaper and local fraud division at the television station - BUT do not threaten Midas with the fact you might do this.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:42 PM   #47
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

Sorry I forgot to mention the not threatening them part

They are trying to blame the age of your truck, yet they were aware of the trucks age when they took your money and promised you a brake job right?

This is exactly why I do all my own work, I'm the only one I trust.
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:49 PM   #48
cojnit
Nothing clever

well normally I would have done my own brakes, but work has been very good this year and you cant turn it away. Feast or famine you know. Thought I would take it to a shop and have them done, and voila! Here I am . In retrospect the time is is taking me now to figure it all out is may more than it would have been to just do it myself.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:51 PM   #49
shifty
Questionable

Just promise not to give up. Even if it takes a few weeks longer.

I'm pretty sure that Midas will back down when your lawyer contacts them. But, after seeing their current reaction (only wanting to cover the least amount possible), I would expect them to call "their shop" and thell the shop to do a quick, sloppy job and that's not good.

Stick to your guns. Call around for a couple of lawyers. It will take some time, but ... dude, it's your truck! It's beautiful, it's a classic and they f***ed it up!

Old 03-09-2005, 07:17 PM   #50
cojnit
Nothing clever

how difficult do you guys think this body work is going to be? any ideas on what someone might quote? I want to get as much information as I can without notifying Midas, and they have the truck right now.

Maybe this will give me the push needed to chop it a couple inches. except for the fact that I have never done any body work in my life! hell for as much as I think this will cost maybe buy a nice welder and some tools and start learning!

I checked into small claims here in CA but they lmiit you to $5,000. anyone think this would cost more than that to fix? Also anyone have any good body shop recomendations in Los Angeles?