The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
Brock
upgrading to an older model

Its finally time!!

I've had my truck for going on almost a year. My brother-in-law is a mechanic, I'm NOT...I'm pretty good at building stuff and he needs a deck. So, I build a deck, he gets the truck on the road. Sounds like a plan to me!

I've done some body work (amateurly, but it'll work) and have collected a couple of parts that I'm going to use. We pulled the motor and tranny tonight making room for a 307 that I bought from a guy for $20 (he pulled it out of his '70 to make room for a stroker) and a 700R4 that was given to me by a guy at the racetrack, Its already been rebuilt. I only paid $250 for the truck and paid $249 for the seats I'm gonna put in it, So I've done pretty well so far (I know its just the beginning)

My Dad who was a mechanic back when these things were new popped the hood and declared it a 292(?)...My brother-in law (who is a tranny guy) said the tranny looked like a saginaw 3-speed. What are the chances of them being right? I looked at the block number and I think it was 377127. I don't think either was original because the truck aready has a newer crossmember in it (along with the old one). I don't have a clue what I'm gonna do witht the motor, It looks pretty rough, the fuel pump is gone (there's a dirt-dauber's nest in there), the distributer and carb are gone to. Didn't try to turn the motor but the water pump spun free. I think there is an alternator bracket...I guess what I'm saying is if anybody wants something off it let me know (I think we are gonna keep the tranny)...I'm not trying to post a "sell it" but if you want to come get something and make a donation that would be OK too. Just trying to help somebody out if they need something.

I know no pics make this thing useless but I'll work on it...I might be able to find some old ones.