The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2017, 07:37 PM   #1
Pancholasvegas

3 on the floor shifting.

Hey guy, I just picked up my first chevy ever... '69 C10 long bed with a 350. Couple quick questions for all of you experts. This truck was a 3 on the column originally. One of the previous owners switched it over with a Mr. Gasket floor shift conversion kit.. Now. I have another truck that is a 3 on the column, and I have owned 4,5, and 6 speed cars/trucks. But this thing is a nightmare to drive! Are there any tips or tricks to this messed up floor shift? I can't seem to find 3rd to save my life, and sometimes neutral is just as tough! Second and first are simple enough, but 3rd is nowhere to be found 8/10 attempts. (At speed, parked I seem to be able to find it.) Ideally I would like to switch this over to a 4 on the floor, but I'll need to round up a transmission to do that first. In the mean time, I need to be able to get this out of the driveway and not be a burden to everyone else on the road!
Thanks,
Pancho
Pancholasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Re: 3 on the floor shifting.

Welcome!

1st thing to check out would be if the linkage is binding. Another, more serious issue could be the synchronizer for 3rd could be shot.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
Pancholasvegas

I will check into seeing if the linkage is binding. I'm hoping the syncro isn't shot as I would still like to have the truck semi-drivable until I can track down the 4 speed and the components necessary to swap them.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:07 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Probably worn and/or misaligned linkage. Check the bushings where the levers from the shifter itself attach to the rods on the transmission, and the rods to the levers on the side of the trans. If they are nylon/missing, that can be a cause. If they look OK, find a source that will show you how to align the shift gate so that it's easier to get through neutral to the rest of the rears. Summit sells Mr Gasket products, so you might talk to their tech guys about it. I'm willing to bet that this will take care of most of the problem. HTH!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:20 PM   #5
geezer#99

Look here for some tips.
In post #14 there another link to the cure I found 40 years ago with my first 3 speed shifter.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=512345
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #6
garyd1961

Unhook the linkage and put the shifter and trans in neutral then hook everything back up.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:01 PM   #7
Pancholasvegas

Thanks for then info guys, I crawled under the truck and took a look and turns out the bolt that holds the linkage together was so loose I could have undid it with my fingers! I tightened it up and checked everything else out, put some lubricant on everything and went for a test drive. Shifts like a dream now, no issues. Thank you for the help! Now I can reliably get it around.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:10 PM   #8
LongBox

Do these three speed manuals have a synchro low? Just curious. As for the shifting problem, it might be neat to switch back to column linkage.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:15 PM   #9
Pancholasvegas

LongBox, I am not sure if they have a syncro low. I just bought this truck yesterday and am not an expert mechanic. I know just enough to get myself into trouble lol. I usually just work on old honda motorcycles.. I have another truck that is a 3 speed on the column, and while fun to drive, it is more of a show truck than a daily driver and sometimes the column shifting gets a bit tiresome. I almost wonder if it would be a big pain to switch back to column linkage?
Old 03-30-2017, 11:57 PM   #10
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

1st gear synchro is probably true on this truck. Simple way to check is to try a shift into 1st while rolling. He'll know, if it doesn't grind. I THINK synchronized 1st gear is a thing from the late '50s. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. My dad's '68 1/2T had a synchronized 1st gear, IIRC. But that was sold about 45 YA, so who knows?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:29 AM   #11
El Dorado Jim

way back in high school I had a 72 with a three spd and the hurst floor shifter...it worked fine,if I remember right it had a synchro first gear..I like the floor shift better than column shift......unless you really need the granny low, I wouldnt bother changing to a four spd...I'm assuming you meant a sm465 truck trans and not a car trans...
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:41 AM   #12
Pancholasvegas

I was only able to take her out around the neighborhood for a few laps and see if everything was working well. If it keeps up shifting and not giving me any trouble then I'm just going to stick with it for a while. Hopefully it keeps functioning properly. I'm not sure what the 4 speed tranny was going to be... Guy I bought the truck from is giving it to me along with an extra tank and a whole lot of other parts.