The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
skydiver
Just a fan.

Question Brakes...bubbles in the Master Cylinder???

Hey Everyone, I need a little brake advice. I have bubbles coming from the bottom of the rear reservoir in my master cylinder when I press the brake down. As you can imagine that because of this the rear brakes dont work at all. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Is it a bad seal in the booster? The truck is a 72 c10 with 350 / 350 / 4 bbl carb with disc brakes in front and drums in rear.

Skydiver
1972 C10
skydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:17 AM   #2
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Re: Brakes...bubbles in the Master Cylinder???

Are you loosing fluid? WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:19 AM   #3
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Or did you run tha master cylinder dry?
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys

Last edited by Classic Heartbeat; 06-02-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:22 AM   #4
skydiver
Just a fan.

I have check for leaks and found nothing. I have also bled the front and rear lines and there is no air in the lines. The only thing left that I can see is the master cylinder bubbling air. Only the rear reservoir does it, the front pushes fluid and the brakes work great.

skydiver
Old 06-02-2008, 01:23 AM   #5
skydiver
Just a fan.

I emptied the master cylinder last fall to get all the rust out of it and then filled it back up. It was dry then but I have bled the lines since then.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:03 AM   #6
truckdude239

if the rear brakes dont work then something is wrong. may it be a wheel cylinder leaking in back or the mc is bad. there is noway for the booster to leak into the mc. you have air int he lines that is getting in there some how

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:50 AM   #7
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
The only thing left that I can see is the master cylinder bubbling air. Only the rear reservoir does it, the front pushes fluid and the brakes work great.
My fuzzy memory thinks that on a disc-brake equipped '72, the front reservoir is for the rear brakes, and the rear serves the front brakes.... No?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay

Last edited by Stocker; 06-02-2008 at 02:51 AM.
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:57 AM   #8
Steelawork'n
Just hang'n around

I'm sure you already know this, but when you remove the mc for work or replacement, you can bench bleed it before you reinstall it. Saves time.

FYI...With the lid off the mc cannot proper pressurize the system. You're really not supposed to pump the brakes with the mc lid off. You should put the lid back on and bleed the mc and then bleed the rear and front brakes.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:45 AM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

your master cylinder may well be leaking into the booster.
They are very cheap to replace from any parts store.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:58 AM   #10
skydiver
Just a fan.

Can anyone confirm if the front reservoir is for the rear brakes?

I really dont think it is air coming from the brakes up through the lines to the mc b/c there are no leaks anywhere. When I push the brake the bubbles come from the bottom of the mc and then when the brake is released the bubbles also come again. Like there is a seal that is not sealing and allowing air into the mc.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:19 AM   #11
Steelawork'n
Just hang'n around

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
Can anyone confirm if the front reservoir is for the rear brakes?

I really dont think it is air coming from the brakes up through the lines to the mc b/c there are no leaks anywhere. When I push the brake the bubbles come from the bottom of the mc and then when the brake is released the bubbles also come again. Like there is a seal that is not sealing and allowing air into the mc.
Yeah, it's cause you got the lid off the master cylinder. It's not pressurizing properly. Brakes are supposed to be a closed system which means when you pump the brakes with the lid off, you allow air into the lines and thus the closed system is opened and no longer will it work.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:36 AM   #12
copywritten
CopyWritten

I thought that it was okay to bleed brakes with the lid off as long as the fluid level doesnt get to low. How can air enter through fluid? Air bubbles will eventually move to the highest point in a brake system (as long as there is enogh fluid in the master cylinder)
copywritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:17 AM   #13
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Just a vacuum pump. That thing sucked.
Now that is funny.........
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #14
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Now that is funny.........
i was wondering if anyone would catch that...

"Adios to all the concrete; Gonna get me some dirt road back streets"
jayharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:33 AM   #15
89 crew

A problem I ran into a while back was a rebuilt master cylinder. They had bead blasted it and eaten away the female connection where the brake lines screw into it. It would constantly pull air back in and it didn't leak. once I returned it and replaced with a different one all was good.
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #16
70GMCer

The front of the mc is for the front brakes. At least mine is like that, and everything is brand new.

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:28 PM   #17
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Yeah, it's cause you got the lid off the master cylinder. It's not pressurizing properly. Brakes are supposed to be a closed system which means when you pump the brakes with the lid off, you allow air into the lines and thus the closed system is opened and no longer will it work.
That's not really the case. The system is "closed" because the fluid is hygroscopic....(readily absorbing and retaining water) This not only destroys it's heat transfer properties, but it causes rust with-in the system. This is why they always tell you to use fresh fluid from a sealed container.
The cap is "vented" above the seal to allow for fluid drop in the system. As the pads wear (in a disc system) the caliper holds more fluid, taking it from the master cylinder. The gasket/seal in the cap is like a diaphragm, allowing the fluid to move w/o being "open" to the outside.
The master cylinder is not "pressurized" in the reservoir. It gets some "back-flow" when the brake shoes are pulled back by the springs. That is why you don't see much movement in the front reservoir of a disc equipped truck. The fluid really doesn't back-flow much.
The pressure is created by the piston. When the piston is fully retracted, it exposes it's bore to the tiny hole in the bottom of the reservoir. This allows the drum's wheels cylinders to push the fluid back, when you release the pedal. It also allows the discs to increase their fluid volume as the pads wear.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #18
skydiver
Just a fan.

Longhair, so would air be entering the rear reservoir from the booster or the lines?

Last edited by skydiver; 06-02-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #19
og350

i have a 71 with front disk and rear drum the side closest to the cab is the front and the side away from the cab is the rear on mine. i had bubbles in mine with the cap off too. i just bled everything and the prop. valve! that helped alot. good luck!
og350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #20
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

I had the exact same problem about a month ago with my MC and rear right cylinder swap. I had the ol lady pump the brakes and i could see one little bubble pop up from the rear reservoir piston whole. It turned out to be just a little air in the lines.

Mine is LWB and the rear lines were completely dry.

So it took ALOT of bleeding and pumping, letting it sit, Driving around to shake and rattle what air that was left in the system out. I tried one of those one man cheepo bleed systems. Just a vacuum pump. That thing sucked.

After driving it a day and then re-bleeding a final time the bubbles went away and the pedal wasn't squishy any more.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:36 PM   #21
skydiver
Just a fan.

Brakes still a little soft. I am going to try to bleed them again tomorrow. Cant believe how how bleeding is needed. Good thing the wife is patient.

1972 C10 Medium Bronze
Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 PM   #22
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

LOL.. watch out, if she pumps too much she'll have a strong left leg able to kick you in the butt when needed.

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #23
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I used the forum search - typing key words: 'bubbles top master cylinder' and this thread popped up. Mine is doing the same.
It's a brand new mc and I have went thru quite a bit of effort to bleed the brakes. Still getting little bubbles trickling up from the larger reservoir. 66 chevy with 79 donor drivetrain.
79 mc, 79 discs front, 79 drums in back. I can get the front to gravity bleed, but not the rear.
I've used a mityvac pump, and I can get it to draw from the front, but not the rear.
However, if I run clear tubing from the rear bleeder valves into a clear jar half full of fluid, I can get it to bleed by pumping the brakes.
I guess I'll give it a few days and try bleeding again. It's just odd. When I bled the brakes when I switched out to the 14 bolt, all went fine, and I had solid brakes with little effort. This time, putting discs up front, with a new mc, I'm struggling to get a good bleed.
Like I said, I'll give a couple days and then try again.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #24
jocko

It sure sounds (to me) like the master was never bled after you drained it to get the rust out. You can bleed the brakes at the bleeder valves on the wheels all you want and it won't make up for not bleeding the master. If that was never done when you drained the master, that is the first thing I would do - and then go bleed at the bleeder screws again. (on a normal brake job, you shouldn't have to bleed the master because it never went "dry", but if you purposely drained it or installed a new one, it needs to be bled). "Bench" bleeding the master cylinder can be done with the master on the truck. It can (ok, it will) be messy, so make sure you throw some towels and stuff under the master to protect any engine compartment paint if you're worried about it. Really just need 2 fittings/lines to run from the outlet ports up into the master fluid (submerged) and pump the brakes about 1 inch (only), and SLOWly, until you no longer see the bubbles rise in either reservoir. Then reinstall the lines, top off the master, replace the cap, and then re-bleed at the wheels starting with the left-rear, right-rear, right-front, then left-front. (sorry, I know you know how to bleed the brakes at the bleeders).

Anyhoo, anytime the master is emptied, it requires a master cylinder bleeding first before the wheels can be bled for all to be truly "airless".

As for which res is front/back - I can't help there - I know that on the drum/drum setups, the front reservoir is for the rear brakes and vice versa because the MC's internal design provides for the forward proportioning (i.e. no prop valve required on a drum/drum). On a disk/drum, generally speaking, the larger reservoir is for the disk brakes and the smaller res is for the drums. But, if you have same size reservoirs on a disk drum setup (and the proportioning valve provides all the proportioning) then I don't know which is which. My gut feeling is that most disk/drum setups are "opposite" of the drum/drum arrangement - i.e. most disk/drum setups should be setup just like 70 GMCer said - front(usually larger) reservoir is for front brakes and rear (usually smaller) reservoir is for the rear brakes.
Hope that helps.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote