The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
kglowacky

steering column bearing

I am trying to replace my lower steering column bearing. Purchased a complete kit of 4 pieces. Bearing, plastic boot/cup, Retainer wire clip and a round housing that holds the clip. My question is what sequence does this go together in. The bearing does no fit inside the plastic cup Not sure if I got a cheap import or what . anyone have this issue? Thanks
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
skyphix

Re: steering column bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglowacky View Post
I am trying to replace my lower steering column bearing. Purchased a complete kit of 4 pieces. Bearing, plastic boot/cup, Retainer wire clip and a round housing that holds the clip. My question is what sequence does this go together in. The bearing does no fit inside the plastic cup Not sure if I got a cheap import or what . anyone have this issue? Thanks
I'm about to do this - I believe it goes the white plastic piece, then the bearing, then the black plastic piece on the outside slips in/on until you can clip the wire retainer clip over the whole thing.

Also subscribing to this thread in case I am totally wrong.
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
RUN GMC

I had to rebuild mine a few years back in my 87 GMC I used this link that I booked marked and downloaded the pdf file............hopes this helps....

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf
RUN GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:29 PM   #4
kglowacky

That's what I thought, the white plastic the bearing then round cover then clip but then there is nothing holding the bearing from sliding down The round cover is a thin band that will hold the white plastic in place but not the bearing. The bearing does not slide into the white plastic at all.
Thanks GMC that is a great recap but the bearing on the end of the shaft is different. but I am sure someone can use this thanks for the post
Old 05-27-2020, 08:59 PM   #5
kglowacky

update. while searching the forum for another answer to a another question I ran into a picture of this Steering column bearing question. Here's what needs to be done to assemble. The bearing itself must be pressed (snapped) into the white plastic collar before installation. When you first look at it you are going to say no way it will go together without cracking the plastic but it will. I put mine in vice and pressed them together, it is more like a snap not a press fit. Look real close at the bearing it has a grove around it and look at the plastic it has small ridge on one end. Yup they go together. After it is together then slide the unit up the column then place the retainer and clip on to secure it. Good luck everyone I hope this helps This is for a 89 C10 column at some point the columns changed around 78
Old 05-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #6
skyphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglowacky View Post
update. while searching the forum for another answer to a another question I ran into a picture of this Steering column bearing question. Here's what needs to be done to assemble. The bearing itself must be pressed (snapped) into the white plastic collar before installation. When you first look at it you are going to say no way it will go together without cracking the plastic but it will. I put mine in vice and pressed them together, it is more like a snap not a press fit. Look real close at the bearing it has a grove around it and look at the plastic it has small ridge on one end. Yup they go together. After it is together then slide the unit up the column then place the retainer and clip on to secure it. Good luck everyone I hope this helps This is for a 89 C10 column at some point the columns changed around 78
Thanks very much for this!
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote