The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2019, 10:53 PM   #26
71gmcC15

Re: Factory Wheel Color

My 71 gmc had white with the center caps. Also white.
04 chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 5.3 4l60e.
81 chevy Scottsdale k10 muncie sm465 Np208 10 bolt 8.2 ( Old Green)
71gmcC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:05 PM   #27
Martyt

i left a message with my original owner seller to see if she recalls whether the black wheels were gloss black or flat black. My guess is gloss black. I think the 16.5x8.25 wheels will look good holding Super Traxion bias ply 31x9.9 tires--old school! Am running same brand of tire on my 69 fJ40.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:08 PM   #28
Martyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyt View Post
i left a message with my original owner seller to see if she recalls whether the black wheels were gloss black or flat black. My guess is gloss black. I think the 16.5x8.25 wheels will look good holding Super Traxion bias ply 31x9.9 tires--old school! Am running same brand of tire on my 69 fJ40.

Here is the 69’FJ40 with the tires
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2019, 11:32 PM   #29
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyt View Post
Yes, if they were black, agree, they would be gloss black. Not aware of any flat ones from the factory. But...

Does anyone have a 72 data book to cross check this (or, maybe better yet a 69 data book as I always assumed that was the changeover year to all white)? In my 68 data book it only states black wheels if solid color, body color if two tone. Does not call out anything regarding hubcap type or C vs K that I can see in the 68 book. I've never personally seen a confirmed original 69-72 Chev C/K10-20 with black wheels from the factory or in a brochure. The data books do describe wheel color specifically in the paint section, so now I'm really curious...
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:48 PM   #30
Martyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Yes, if they were black, agree, they would be gloss black. Not aware of any flat ones from the factory. But...

Does anyone have a 72 data book to cross check this (or, maybe better yet a 69 data book as I always assumed that was the changeover year to all white)? In my 68 data book it only states black wheels if solid color, body color if two tone. Does not call out anything regarding hubcap type or C vs K that I can see in the 68 book. I've never personally seen a confirmed original 69-72 Chev C/K10-20 with black wheels from the factory or in a brochure. The data books do describe wheel color specifically in the paint section, so now I'm really curious...
I have not either but the original owner confirmed black wheels for me; she also confirmed no hub caps--I confirmed no hub caps from the factory build sheet. My truck is one color--medium bronze metallic. Thanks for the thoughts regarding gloss vs flat--am almost certain that is correct.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:58 PM   #31
jocko

Very interesting. I will throw this out there though fwiw, I have bought a few from original owners and some of the stuff they told me that was 100% original was complete hogwash. Personally, I'd trust a data book (Don't get me wrong - original owner discussion is a wonderful thing to have, but I can barely remember where I left my keys, let alone a color from 40+ years ago. Ok, I take that back - I can't find my keys, but I never forget a wheel color ).
Old 04-26-2019, 12:26 AM   #32
Martyt

Okay, not to beat the proverbial horse to death, but I just spoke with the original owner tonight. She said that black factory wheels were not gloss black but also not flat black. She said they were in between--kind of a matt black. I believe her--she remembers every detail of this rig. When I asked her about what happened with the chrome rear bumper she said she had the dealer take it off to put a hitch bumper on it so she could pull a trailer--mystery solved. The fact she saved nearly every work receipt on the truck is also helpful--original engine because she changed the oil and filter religiously. Later gents. m
Old 04-26-2019, 01:32 AM   #33
IronCanine
I'm trying....

This has been a point of interest for me of late as we are working on a 69 K10. It appears that all 4WD trucks in 1969 came with black rims and no hubcaps. The 69 truck vehicle information kit on the GM heritage center site states that standard equipment on 2WDs are white hubcaps, while no hubcap designation or color is specified (only wheel size) for the 4WDs. Moreover, optional hubcaps P01 and P03 are listed as available on 2WD trucks only.

Obviously when Blazers came out later in the model year of 69, hubcaps were available on them (as well as an automatic transmission and NP205 transfer case-4WD trucks appear to be 4sp/Rockwell only throughout the model year).

It makes complete sense to me that there were 70 models leaving the factory with black rims only.

A few pics from the 69 Blazer brochure and the 69 brochure (complete line up, with 4x4 in back and from the four wheel drive page)
Attached Images

1946 B.F. Avery Model A Tractor http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...55#post8292555

"Sometimes I wonder if zander208 was even real..."
IronCanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:50 PM   #34
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
My 68 had silver, also...
My '68 C/10 came with 7.00 x 17.5 tires on 5.25x17.5'' rims in Argent Silver.
I bought the truck in 1973, so I know they're original. 17.5'' rims are spec'ed in the SPID.
[I painted them white in the late '70s, as I like the look better.] I've heard 4x4 trucks came with black rims.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:36 AM   #35
pilotXC

Old thread, but does anyone have the color name(s) or code(s) for the different "white" options for wheel colors, especially for 1972 for my particular case? Thank you!
pilotXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:50 PM   #36
Furno68C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcb View Post
I have a 70 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4. The truck is 100% stock. The truck has factory dog dish caps over black wheels. Did these trucks all come with black wheels, or did some feature white? I see a lot of white on the forum but I am not sure if that is just a popular choice, or factory correct. My truck is Medium Blue and I think the white wheels would set it off a lot more. I want them white, but I don't want to do that unless that was a factory color.
These were on my 67 1/2t when I got it. Not sure if these rims were a color option for that year but they look nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Furno68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:13 PM   #37
pilotXC

I think I answered my own question and anyone else looking, here is a link with color codes for factory body colors and options, very helpful:

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pag...l#modal-close2
pilotXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:26 PM   #38
factorystock

An older thread, but, the subject often gets fuzzy because of generalizations. You can't always lump '67-'72 together and you can't always lump GMC and Chevy together, and you can't always lump 2WD and 4WD together. One needs to be specific. And some fleet trucks had their own special paint specs. Original poster had a '70 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4. Wheel color was standardized by this time ( '70-'72), it was 521 gloss white, for both Chevy and GMC 2WD and 4WD. 1969 was a transition year for wheel color for Chevy. Early '69 Chevy 2WD's used the argent silver that was used in '68. Early '69 Chevy 4WD's used the gloss black that was used in '68. Somewhere in the '69 year model, the choice was wade to go with gloss white for 2WD and 4WD. '69-'72 Chevy 1 tons with duals always stayed with gloss black wheels. '67-'69 4x4 GMC wheel colors were harder to figure out, some plants painted wheels the way Chevy painted their wheels, and some plants painted them like they were 2x4's. Theres always going to be deviations, a dealership or owner made a wheel switch or new parts department wheels were installed by a body shop or repair shop etc. All my observations and conclusions are from real original and real period photos, not from the way these trucks look 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50 years later. One caveat, watch out for many doctored GM photos ( especially found in '69 GM literature) most are really '68 pickups. Here is a real photo taken in '69.
Attached Images

factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:22 PM   #39
IronCanine
I'm trying....

Great post, points and killer photo. Thanks.
1946 B.F. Avery Model A Tractor http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...55#post8292555

"Sometimes I wonder if zander208 was even real..."
IronCanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:14 AM   #40
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
An older thread, but, the subject often gets fuzzy because of generalizations. You can't always lump '67-'72 together and you can't always lump GMC and Chevy together, and you can't always lump 2WD and 4WD together. One needs to be specific. And some fleet trucks had their own special paint specs. Original poster had a '70 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4. Wheel color was standardized by this time ( '70-'72), it was 521 gloss white, for both Chevy and GMC 2WD and 4WD. 1969 was a transition year for wheel color for Chevy. Early '69 Chevy 2WD's used the argent silver that was used in '68. Early '69 Chevy 4WD's used the gloss black that was used in '68. Somewhere in the '69 year model, the choice was wade to go with gloss white for 2WD and 4WD. '69-'72 Chevy 1 tons with duals always stayed with gloss black wheels. '67-'69 4x4 GMC wheel colors were harder to figure out, some plants painted wheels the way Chevy painted their wheels, and some plants painted them like they were 2x4's. Theres always going to be deviations, a dealership or owner made a wheel switch or new parts department wheels were installed by a body shop or repair shop etc. All my observations and conclusions are from real original and real period photos, not from the way these trucks look 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50 years later. One caveat, watch out for many doctored GM photos ( especially found in '69 GM literature) most are really '68 pickups. Here is a real photo taken in '69.
A very good point about the factory promotional literature. (Although I think that the term "doctoring" makes it sound underhanded) The thing to remember about the literature is that back in the day it took literally months and months to get things printed. Marketing concepts needed to be developed, artwork created by hand, photo shoots arranged, proofs finalized and the sent by mail or hand delivered to be approved, feedback delivered, corrections or alterations made and then approved before things were sent (Again by hand or US postal service. No electronic transmission of these kinds of documents back then) to a printing company or a magazine at least 3 months prior to the date of publication. Then a test printing would have to be made and approved.
During all this time other parts of the company were making decisions and changes were implemented that were never communicated to marketing, or it was too late, or it was deemed to expensive to change before it was released to the public.
In order to save costs GM regularly installed next year's interiors in current production vehicles to be used for brochures and advertisements. There are even documented vehicles with the next year's interior installed. They were used for testing assembly line procedures and photography then sent off to be sold.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #41
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds1968 View Post
1967 the wheels were black unless your truck was two-tone then the rims where body color (green, blue, yellow ect) with white painted caps.

1967 the wheels were white if the body was a solid color but had chrome caps. If two-tone the wheels were body color with chrome caps.
I'm digging this back up....

My 68 C-10 2WD came with argent (silver)

My 67 C-10 2WD original color was Vermillion Poly (maroon). My 67 got a make over, years before I bought it (no wonder it was so straight, hope not many repairs were needed, body work wise). THe wheels were painted in the makeover, the Vermillion Poly, also. BUT the Vermillion paint is fading/falling off the wheels. THe wheel color underneath is RED. My 67 is a solid color.. I have a friend that owned a 67 (2 tone, med blue, looks awesome), his had red wheels... also

Anyone have/had red wheels???
68Gold/white is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:10 PM   #42
jocko

Quote:
I'm digging this back up....

My 68 C-10 2WD came with argent (silver)

My 67 C-10 2WD original color was Vermillion Poly (maroon). My 67 got a make over, years before I bought it (no wonder it was so straight, hope not many repairs were needed, body work wise). THe wheels were painted in the makeover, the Vermillion Poly, also. BUT the Vermillion paint is fading/falling off the wheels. THe wheel color underneath is RED. My 67 is a solid color.. I have a friend that owned a 67 (2 tone, med blue, looks awesome), his had red wheels... also

Anyone have/had red wheels???
Your 67's original wheels would have been black - your friend's 67 original wheels would have been the same color as the original primary body color of the truck, whatever that was per the SPID. These are old trucks and wheels get swapped around a lot over the years. Only a 67 with paint code 544 would have come from the factory with red wheels.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2020, 09:24 AM   #43
68Gold/white

Thanks Jocko!!!

I wonder if my 67 wheels were re-painted Vermillion in the make over, or possibly at the factory (over the red...anything is possible).

My buddies 67 is the medium blue, for 67 (original color). He bought it 1970. The chances of him acquiring the red wheels was very good, he was very resourceful. He passed away in 2003. THanksfully, he gave his son the pickup, a few years before he passed, it's in Marietta, Georgia now. I need to dig up some pictures of it, to post here, it's awesome!!!
68Gold/white is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #44
jocko

Quote:
Thanks Jocko!!!

I wonder if my 67 wheels were re-painted Vermillion in the make over, or possibly at the factory (over the red...anything is possible).
I'd imagine someone painted or swapped on red wheels at some point and then the makeover resulted in the vermilion wheel-body match.