The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2020, 06:28 PM   #1
MD2020

need help with oil filter

small block Chevy 350
So I got these really nice Headers and my oil filter is so close to the headers you can't get it off.
I got a jegs filter 13/16"-16 thread 5.35 tall filter, They have a 2.61 shorty that I think is to short.
Is there a medium length filter ??????
AC delco, motorcraft?????

this thread show the headder fitment on the truck , but not the filter, if you want to look
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=773550

comment #16

Or maybe a better place to post this thread.
Thanks
MD2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: need help with oil filter

Might be better to run a remote filter...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:57 PM   #3
MD2020

I meant to add that I did not want to run the remote oil filter.
Thanks
Old 05-26-2020, 08:26 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

10 4....I did a little searching and found reference to a short med long and xlong... but no part numbers for the medium

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:18 PM   #5
burnin oil

Buy the adapter for a 90s chevy pickup with v8. They ran a smaller diameter filter.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:44 PM   #6
mr48chev

Check an AC Delco PF 454 https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-PF454.../dp/B000C9S5GU

3.6 inches tall.

There may be a Napa or Wix that will cross and be the same height.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:45 AM   #7
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Check an AC Delco PF 454 https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-PF454.../dp/B000C9S5GU

3.6 inches tall.

There may be a Napa or Wix that will cross and be the same height.
I ran that filter for years on a hotrod '34 Ford pickup I had with header clearance issues. I recall one of the applications was Corvette, C-3 I believe. STP also makes one the same size that is less expensive.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #8
MD2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
Buy the adapter for a 90s chevy pickup with v8. They ran a smaller diameter filter.
Sorry, The filter I have looks like it's sitting on top of the header, It's not to big around it's too tall.

Thanks for that filter mr48, I could use it, And miiraclePieCo, That's good to know that you used it for years.
Thanks guy's
Old 05-27-2020, 11:43 AM   #9
dsraven

if the filter is sitting that close to the header and you are dead set against a remote filter then you might think about some heat shielding for it. one reason we run deep oil pans and extra large filters is for oil capacity. we want oil capacity so there is physically more oil to deal with but also so the oil has a better chance of cooling off so it doesn't break down and lose it's lubricating qualities. it has to be warm enough to burn off moisture but not too hot or it breaks down. if installing a smaller filter for the clearance issue you should really install the heat shield for the break down issue. you could fab up something from an old underbody exhaust heat shield found on newer vehicles because they are sort of a sandwich aluminum sheet or you could fab up something tasteful. an air gap between the parts is key. possibly something that bolts on as a shield, catches some cooling air when you're driving, but then can be hinged down to catch and direct the oil as it drains from the filter when you change oil. changing oil should be done on a hot engine to suspend any particles etc so draining that onto a hot header is going to be nasty as well as getting you hand in there to get the filter off with those hot headers. changing oil should also probably be done more often with a smaller filter that has a tendency to get super hot. it's kind of like putting your oil filter next to a heater if you think about it. maybe an ok thing for somebody who only drives to the corner cafe every second saturday because the oil would heat up quicker possibly. not really great for a vehicle thats going to be driven for longer periods or more often.
with filters,. really look at how they are constructed. some are all cardboard inside with not great anti drain back valving and not many pleats in the filter medium. check the specs on the filter to find the micron rating etc. I have cut apart lots of filters in my day and there is a big difference in quality between the el cheapo deluxe ones and a good one. when cut apart and laid out with the pleated sections flat the better filters have a longer pleated section, so more filter media, and also some have metal end caps and good quality bleed back valving.
really a remote mount filter, if done well, looks as good as a filter stuffed into a small space and looks like the installation involved some careful consideration and reasoning. especially from a discerning eye looking at the hotrod. the lookie loo's probably don't know what they are looking at anyway so if it is aesthetics you're worried about you could easily make the remote filter look good and not make a big mess at oil change time. by the looks of the rest of the build it is top drawer so a nice remote filter wouldn't be a stretch. one thing to also consider is the spark plug wire proximity to the headers. you might consider different plug wire boots to get the wires clear of the heat zone as much as possible.again, some shielding may be in order if possible. heat is going to break down the wires faster and that will cause you reliability issues down the road. it would suck if that happened in a backwater town on a road trip and a new set is a day away.
are you able to post up some current pics of the set up? showing the filter etc?
your truck, do what you like. just some suggestions from past experiences of my own.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
dsraven

some info on oil temps and the why's of min/max temps.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/engine-oil-temperature/
Old 05-27-2020, 11:45 AM   #11
dsraven

https://www.machinerylubrication.com...perature-limit
Old 05-27-2020, 02:37 PM   #12
MD2020

So I'm 2 years into this project, any picture you have seen is just part of the mock-up, if you notice on the pictures the frame is still raw.
The plug wires were not loomed up yet, that's not going to be a problem at all.
I had a hot rod back in the 80's and a door slammer drag car in the 90's .
My fire wall is clear, brake booster and clutch master cyl, is under the cab.
I'm going for a clean Old School look 383 stroker with Holly carb.
The AcDelco filter would be 2" of air space from the header.
I probably could get the remote oil filter set up under the truck out of site or good enough. or a heat shield, It still would be a mess changing oil so maybe I need to go remote. Mo Money

So the motor is out of the truck on the bolt on leg stands--https://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/746/PCE407.1001/10002/-1
and the headers wont bolt on right now because of the legs , so no pictures right now.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:02 PM   #13
dsraven

I hear ya. a work in progress. I would suggest the remote filter for sure if possible for you. run some stainless tubing to it and mount on the side of the trans or something so it moves with the engine and looks good. no flex lines needed that way and friction loss in a metal tube is negligible.keep the tubes running downhill to the filter and it will self drain with the filter slightly loosened off and a small drain hole punched in the bottom of the filter. easy to slip a drain pan under too. walk away for a few minutes and let it drip out.
or use the shorter filter with a decorative cover to insulate some. most of those are for longer filters though unless you custom fab something.
just some thoughts.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:57 AM   #14
burnin oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD2020 View Post
Sorry, The filter I have looks like it's sitting on top of the header, It's not to big around it's too tall.

Thanks for that filter mr48, I could use it, And miiraclePieCo, That's good to know that you used it for years.
Thanks guy's
Sorry I misread what you were saying. I thought it was a clearance of a tube and not the whole header. Alot of the headers I have had issues with it was one tube and the smaller diameter filter would gain the clearance needed for removal and also provide enough air space to keep the oil reasonably cool. I am talking 5-10lb drop in a situation where heat soak would also be affecting the traditional starter.

Would a 90 degree oil filter adapter work? Something like this melling part MFA6570HS? Sorry my phone doesn't want to let me link it.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:29 AM   #15
MD2020

I like to fill my oil filter before I screw it back on, so I don't think I would like that
Old 05-28-2020, 10:33 PM   #16
mr48chev

I've always filled or partially filled the oil filters that you can do that on but there are a number that you can't including some that are mounted in a position that I am pretty sure they drain down on after the engine is shut down.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote