The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2020, 08:09 AM   #1
KevinK7

Preserving/polishing original faded paint ??

My '68 has original paint that I want to save/preserve. Some may call it patina, others just faded old paint.
Most searches I've done come up dealing with the heavy surface rust (or the debate on patina vs. repaint, which is not what I'm after.)
I don't want to CLR (not sure it would even be needed in my case anyway), and I'm not sure I want to matte clear over it.

What I'm considering is a light Scotchbrite scuff, then light 3M rubbing compound. My main concern here is I don't want to rub off all the paint that is left while doing this.
I've already started into the hood and think I'm going to keep going, but curious for those who have had similar condition trucks (that wanted to keep the original paint as I do), what did you do?
The net, even though I have an idea on what I want to do, just looking for methods/products others have used.

Thanks,

Kevin

Old 05-31-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
Chevyland

Re: Preserving/polishing original faded paint ??

Rubbing compound ( go easy)
Hand glaze
Carnauba wax
Attached Images

Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:15 AM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

WD-40 and 0000 steel wool. It won't take the paint away but will knock down the rust.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:52 AM   #4
AZBuckHunter

Steel wool will leave little metal flakes, I would advise against that.
I would try a buff and polish.
AZBuckHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:20 PM   #5
Sheepdip

There are several good methods as above suggested ways to keep the patina, I created my own patina from scratch to match the cab on the hood, fenders, grill surround and bed on this 36 Dodge pickup Rat Rod I built several years ago.

The hood I built from scratch from 16ga. cold rolled, the grill surround was 33 Chevy and the bed was from a 40 Ford pu that I shortened 33".

Besides the lettering I used red and black primer and some hunter green all flattened/cut with steel wool. Everything matched the cab patina wise when done.

Don't be afraid to add some paint of a like color in bare areas because you can take it down again to give a more uniform effect to the overall results as I did to the cab to make it all look like it aged together over the years, after all what are you hurting....it's only wore out paint.

The average joe will never know the difference. Experiment and have fun doing it.
Attached Images

Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:48 PM   #6
67/Heaven

A lot really depends on your paint, my paint was just faded and oxidized. I ended up
using Meguiears #80 with oscillating polisher ( follow the suggested rpm ). Once done, for maintenance , I found. NuFinish works quite well on the old acrylic paint.

Last edited by 67/Heaven; 05-31-2020 at 12:57 PM.
67/Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #7
KevinK7

Thanks for the replies

After the light scotchpad, I hand applied 3M Rubbing Compound and Hand Glaze. So far so good, it actually has a bit of a 'sheen' to it which is what I'm after. The paint is definitely thin (especially on the hood) so I went real easy. I'll try waxing next and see how it goes.

Thanks again