The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
NINERS1

Why we do it?

I went to the local pizza place for a bite today and as i was going in a voice said " excuse me!" i turned and there was a nice looking lady that just got out of her truck, and said do you mind if i take some pictures of your truck? I replied no problem take all you want. I went in and got my order and was heading to the truck and she was on the phone, standing by my truck, I heard her say" dad you should see this truck! as i went to open the door she hung-up and asked " is that a 71 or 72? I thought wow this lady knows her chevy trucks. i said a 71 and she said it is a beautiful truck, I said thank you grinning from ear to ear. I thought to myself, this is why we do what we do! i drove off feeling good that people notice our work and effort and get a little joy from our work. Makes it all worth it!

http://s321.photobucket.com/albums/n..._tab_my_albums

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
NINERS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

Re: Why we do it?

I know what you mean...thanks for sharing your story.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:15 AM   #3
Pop's C-10

Older rides always bring good vibes from people..car junkies or mini van drivers.
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
gikken20

People used to do that when I had my 51 Chevy p/u or they wanted to race lol. had alot of people offer to buy it on the spot or leave notes under the wiper saying if I ever wanted to sell it to let them know.
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
2007 GMC Yukon 4x4 (wife's)
gikken20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
mrein3

I hear ya. Last weekend I was driving across the lake from my fish house to my house. Just off my ice road there were two dudes next to one snowmobile just sitting there. I stopped and asked if they were broke down and needed a hand.
"No. Sweet truck."
Thanks I replied.
Then they asked me for a light. I'm not a smoker and I don't carry around a Bic lighter so I pushed in the cigarette lighter.

You ever see the look on a kids face that has never seen an old school cigarette lighter before? I'm guessing most 16-23 year olds never saw a cigarette lighter outlet in a car that had anything but a gameboy or DVD player plugged into it.

They both stood there and watched me drive away puffing on their heaters.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
cam.man67

I was sitting in my truck in the college parking lot before class the other day waiting for my class to start, and this guy walks up and knocks on the window. "Just want to let you know you've got a very nice truck", he says. "I used to have two '68, both stepsides." That made my whole day!
1989 Toyota Pickup 22re, auto, 3.73
cam.man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
68Stepbed

I have lots of stories like that. Too many to type, actually. My favorite is from a few years back. My wife used to be a member of a credit union. We didn't do our normal banking there, but she had a savings account with them. Once a week, I would go get my wife's paychecks, and deposit some in her savings. At one point they hired a new girl, and put her at the drive-thru. The first couple times, I was in my longbed 66(aka The Booger) and she didn't seem to pay it much attention. The next time I went through, I was in my 68. She started going on about how pretty and nice my truck was and how she would like to take a ride in it someday(yeah, right. If I were only still single.) At one point, I thought she was actually gonna try to run out and get in with me. :O

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
Jessechop

Try owning a old Beetle. If you have to get out, ANYWHERE you have to hear a story. "I bought one brand new in (insert year between 56-75) for $1xxx. Nice working little car, no heat though. And man that thing would go through snow!" I didnt mind hearing those ones because usually it was older people just reliving some of there younger years.

or...

You got the VW Expert ex drag racer 1st cousin to John Force and Dale Earnhart who had a 19xx Beetle with a 19xx Super Beetle motor that was so fast. (FYI Beetles and Super Beetles used the same exact motor)
Jessechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

[QUOTE=Jessechop;4468681]Try owning a old Beetle. If you have to get out, ANYWHERE you have to hear a story. "I bought one brand new in (insert year between 56-75) for $1xxx. Nice working little car, no heat though. And man that thing would go through snow!" I didnt mind hearing those ones because usually it was older people just reliving some of there younger years. QUOTE]

I'm one of those that has owned several, including a new Super bought in '71. That winter, we got some serious snow....meaning a foot in one snowfall. (If you live up north, I don't wanna hear any laughter.) Anyway, I was at work and was asked if I could take a couple of girls home, who lived about 15 miles away. I told 'em I would, for a set of chains. So, here they come with a set of those reinforced V-bar chains (before we had radial type) and I put them on. Drove 'em home, Coming back, I took a hilly route, because I knew the road and the hills. I had a ball! There was one hill where cars were in the ditches on both sides. I laid into the throttle. That VW had a LOUD EMPI extractor on it and the snow flew off of those rear tires/chains looking like a rooster tail on a ski boat. Folks on the sides (in the ditch) weren't happy....

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
yote1234

nice! its why we do this!
1968 Camaro 327
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
Lee H

I have a glove box half full of notes and business cards asking to be the first called if I ever decide to sell or call me if for sale. I also get a lot of weekend drive bys asking if it is for sale.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
screamin_c10
I dun gradjiated collij!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
I have a glove box half full of notes and business cards asking to be the first called if I ever decide to sell or call me if for sale. I also get a lot of weekend drive bys asking if it is for sale.
I get that alot with Screamin....she's purdy. Now Bessie... well not so much. She's kinda like the ugly sister you talked your friend into goin out with on a double date....
Attached Images

Last edited by screamin_c10; 02-07-2011 at 10:12 AM.
screamin_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin_c10 View Post
I get that alot with Screamin....she's purdy. Now Bessie... well not so much. She's kinda like the ugly sister you talked your friend into goin out with on a double date....
id give bessie a new pass. 67 fender and then she'd be purdy!
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #14
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

I love it!! it's always been a big part of driving a Classic Yank Tank over here you get looks & compliments on a regular basis here in the U.K, mainly because they're so different looking and large in comparison to British vehicles, so it's odd to think that you guys are getting that kinda reaction in the land of their birth, proly cause a whole generation has grown up with nothing but compaqs and imports, and a true American vehicle is as rare there now as it has always been in the U.K.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
swierker

I bet we all have stories like this one. I always love getting compliments on my truck when I'm driving around town. It's still a work in progress and no way near "beautiful" but it's nice to know that people appreciate these trucks.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #16
slomotion
Old Duffer

My all-time favorite was before I even had a truck. At the time, I lived in Ft Lauderdale, ('74) and had a nearly stock black '51 Chevy two door, with wide whites, painted steelies with baby moons, skirts, and good chrome. I was sitting at a stop light, and with it being hot out, my window was down. An older guy pulled up beside me with his window down, and hollered across to me "What year?" I told him '51. "Nice car," he said. I thanked him and he continued.." I had one exactly like that, only mine was a '52, green four door, with blackwalls, and no skirts. Yessir, just like yours!"

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #17
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Blah, blah, blah...

You said she was nice looking and you said she was interested in old trucks but you never mentioned whether she was wearing a wedding ring or not. Priorities man !
Old 02-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #18
Quickshift-Perf

When I was test driving the 68' LWB I just picked up, we had to stop and get gas for it. While gassing up the younger guys next to us commented on how nice it was for being basically all original. I pretty much decided to buy the truck right then and there lol....

Mike

Last edited by Quickshift-Perf; 02-07-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Quickshift-Perf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #19
redbaron69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Blah, blah, blah...

You said she was nice looking and you said she was interested in old trucks but you never mentioned whether she was wearing a wedding ring or not. Priorities man !
Old 02-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #20
NINERS1

Well she was sitting in the passenger side of a f@#d 1 ton dooly deisel, so waiting on her husband probably besides i already have a woman that puts up with me spending more time and money on my truck than her!

http://s321.photobucket.com/albums/n..._tab_my_albums

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
NINERS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #21
81ShrtBox
MadMan

My truck isnt much to look at. Truck guys always ask if its forsale But mostly I get the "What happened to your suburban??" question I just tell'em its home chillin, I would rather drive this one Thats when they look at me like I'm crazy. My wife dont understand it either. My 2 little girls 8and 10yrs old love my C-10. They said everytime we go riding in that old truck I get them something. We usually go to Harbor Freight, Walmart, Napa and then to Burger king or Sonic drive in... its just something about that old truck.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #22
bigyellow

Smile Re: Why we do it?

my truck has overall been awesome to me. the other day sittin in bojangles gettin some lunch before work i saw two kids, probably about 10 or 12 poking their head out the window checkin out my truck, the dad asked em what kind it was and the kids said "its a chevy" i thought it would have made a cool truck commercial haha

sometime last year i was drivin from myrtle beach, sc back into clemson, sc when alternator decided to come apart...yeah so i'm in the middle of ****ing nowhere sc tryin to find a parts store on a sunday at 530. i luckily found an advanced so i pull in the truck is sputtering and what not b/c of not enough volts to run the hei. i get out and tell em i need an alternator and a belt for it. so i'm in the parkin lot changing parts(dont go on extended trips w/o tools, dad taught me this when i was lil) and even though my truck hadn't been washed in weeks the hood was up and apart i still got compliments. gotta love it.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #23
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Blah, blah, blah...

Good point!! Luv it!!!

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #24
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Couple weeks ago I came out of the grocery store and there was a couple of teens off of a ski bus checking out my K20. I walked out slowy so I could see what they were up to, you know you cant trust anyone under 30 (heh).

Basically there were just checking out the body and front end, then down on their hands and knees. I came walking up ... Hey guys, whats up? ... Oh we were just checking out your cool truck ...Thanks, she's an oldie but a goodie. Then I told em to check out this site if they were really interested in this style of truck.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #25
BearFlagRepublic

I just had my first "Are you looking to sell that truck??" "No" "Well here's my card and give me a call if you do!" It's nice to see these old trucks getting recognition.
BearFlagRepublic is offline   Reply With Quote