The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #26
bikertim

Re: Decent Brakes on a 70 C10 for today

I guess I didn't realize this thread was still active! Thanks for all the input.

I am just going to bite the bullet and get some new rotors for the front, add some D52 calipers, rear disc conversion, new brake lines and good brake pads and see what happens. I presently have a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve. Most of my stuff is really old anyway so it wouldn't hurt to be replaced. If the performance isn't where I want it to be I can upgrade the front brakes to larger rotors pretty easy it will just cost me wheels and tires, but I am kind of old school and like the 15" wheels!

Interesting comment about tires was made here too. Might be something I need to look closer at for braking performance.

Thanks for all the comments on this thread as I am getting to the point of brakes!
bikertim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #27
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertim View Post
I guess I didn't realize this thread was still active! Thanks for all the input.

I am just going to bite the bullet and get some new rotors for the front, add some D52 calipers, rear disc conversion, new brake lines and good brake pads and see what happens. I presently have a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve. Most of my stuff is really old anyway so it wouldn't hurt to be replaced. If the performance isn't where I want it to be I can upgrade the front brakes to larger rotors pretty easy it will just cost me wheels and tires, but I am kind of old school and like the 15" wheels!

Interesting comment about tires was made here too. Might be something I need to look closer at for braking performance.

Thanks for all the comments on this thread as I am getting to the point of brakes!
It actually should be a standard & should be addressed early on if someone is really trying to improve braking ability. Similar thing is rear disc swaps. If the rear wheels lock up using drum brakes, rear disc brakes are just for the glamour show (on a street driven truck).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #28
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
It actually should be a standard & should be addressed early on if someone is really trying to improve braking ability. Similar thing is rear disc swaps. If the rear wheels lock up using drum brakes, rear disc brakes are just for the glamour show (on a street driven truck).
I quit upgrading brakes and started upgrading tires after seeing how much better my '64 VW stopped just by changing to a tire that had more grip. It had 100% stock drums all the way around and the stock single circuit master cylinder. I had the typical 145/80-15" Firestone F560 tires up front that everyone has used since the 70's on a lowered Bug. Due to the hard compound it would easily lock and skid the front tires without doing much to slow the car down, and it was especially sketchy in the rain. I've seen a lot of VW people swap to discs because "the drums lock up too easily" yet they're running tires with decades old technology.

I swapped to a more modern summer/high performance 195/50-15 and the car would then pull .97g stopping and did so without locking up as easily- you could threshold brake much easier. At the time my mom had a '99 New Beetle with four wheel disc, 205/50-16 summer tires, and ABS that did .99g braking; basically identical performance between four wheel drum brakes that went into production in 1958 and four wheel disc brakes that went into production in 1998. I now have a '63 VW with discs up front and 195/50-15 tires and it doesn't stop the car any shorter than my drum brake '64 because the tire is still the limiting factor in stopping shorter.

Also relevant- dad had a '57 VW that had been upgraded to the later 58-64 style drums but it had reproduction Firestone bias ply tires. You had to plan stops 15 minutes in advance because the tires had such little grip.

On the Festiva, I put all season tires on it when I'm not autocrossing it and it feels almost unsafe because I know I'm missing out on the braking performance of the stickier track tires. I actually lightly hit a deer one night because I had all season tires on it, and I know I could've stopped shorter and avoided it had I still been on stickier track tires. Same brakes, different braking performance.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 11:35 PM   #29
HO455
Post Whore

I'm resurrecting this old thread by posting some information on caliper clamping force.

The link is to a thread from the ProTouring forums involving brake caliper selection. There are several charts with caliper clamping force comparisons including the D52.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...clamping+force
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote