The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
fishmunger

Short Fleet + Spare Tire + Hidden Hitch

Hey guys, the general consensus was that there was no way to get a spare tire and a hidden hitch under my short fleet, but I figured, what the heck, I'll give it a shot...My truck is a 64, but I'm pretty sure this applies to all 60-72 trucks...

First up is a shot of the spare I used. It is from an astro van (got off craigslist for free!). It has a dual pattern so it can work with a truck, camaro, s10, etc. In order to fit it on the rear drums you have to use a spacer about 1" (available for ~$40 at your local swap meet). It is the PERFECT spare, because it's just the right height, a 1/8" either way and it wouldn't work nearly as good (or not at all)...

Next here is the space you have to work with. I had the hitch made at a place here in LA called Eckharts. They did a wonderful job. You want them to make it so the receiver comes out your roll pan as low as possible, and so it sticks through about 3/8." This makes sure that your liscense plate stays straight up and down, because otherwise the hinge at the top of the flip bracket angles the plate down at a slant. Also, by having it as low as possible, this creates more room to sneak in the spare.

Here is the spare up in position. It tilts down at a slight angle towards the front, but since it is just the right length, it fits snugly in between the crossmembers (makes taking it in and out easy). **Note: you have to cut out that one crossmember back there to do this, you can see where I cut mine.** Once you have that hitch welded in there though, strength is a non-issue. You can also see the "studs" I put in that will hold the bracket up.

This is me priming the bracket I made to hold the spare in. I did it out of wood because:
1) it's easier
2) I don't have the resources to make it out of metal
3)I think it offers more "cush" and is less likely to squeak.

Few stainless bolts to hold the center "hub" in place, and you're good to go.

The finished product, up up and away.

From the back, can't even see the tire.

That's it. The hitch is rated to tow 5000 lbs BTW.

~Nate

Last edited by augie; 04-19-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Closed Thread