The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2015, 12:28 AM   #226
75Dually

Re: 75 Dually build

A short update. Mom is doing somewhat better. Thanks again for all the kind thoughts and prayers.

Now on to Dually business! I am trying hard to get this truck ready for the Lone Star Throw Down. Now when I say ready all I mean right now is to get it into primer and drivable. I will be trailering it there, so no maiden voyage as of yet.

I have so far finished primering: both dually fenders, passenger side rear fender, tailgate,the front panel of the bed, and the hood. I was doing the finishing body work on the drivers rear fender tonight. Should have that finished tomorrow, weather permitting.

So by this weekend I would like to have the bed back together that way I can start on the roof and fix all that old hail damage. It's not too bad, but it still needs to be done right...

I have a long list, but I am sure that most of it will get done. No matter what I want it up on the trailer ready to go to the show.

Stay tuned!
Attached Images

75Dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #227
rwade

Good progress! Glad to hear mom is doing better. Hope to see it at lonestar throwdown. Take care

Wade
rwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #228
75Dually

Finally some progress! Now that the artic blast has left us I could get back into the shop and start to finish up the bed and start on the cab.

Today I finished up the drivers side rear fender and laid some primer on it. For now it is good enough, and when we get back from Lone Star Throw Down I can do some additional work and get the whole bed ready for paint.

I also have the bed front panel finished and in primer today as well. The tail gate has been done for a while, but I still wanted to snap a pic of it while I was in the shop tonight.

Got to keep at it so I can get this beast ready to go to Conroe!
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2015, 11:25 PM   #229
75Dually

BTW I found a pic I took of the tail gate when I first got it. I paid like $25 for it, and now look at it. I worked on this beast for several weeks to get it to where it is at today. I should have just bought a new replacement, but nah!
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2015, 02:12 AM   #230
95gmc

Nice! I like it! I liked the two tone color on the bed!
95gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:28 PM   #231
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95gmc View Post
Nice! I like it! I liked the two tone color on the bed!
Thanks! Yes I liked the old colors as well. Still not 100% sure what the end color is going to be.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #232
slimneverdies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Dually View Post
Thanks! Yes I liked the old colors as well. Still not 100% sure what the end color is going to be.
How'd you fill those screw holes for the bed panel? The ones on the lettering seem like they would give a few problems
slimneverdies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:18 PM   #233
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimneverdies View Post
How'd you fill those screw holes for the bed panel? The ones on the lettering seem like they would give a few problems
Basically it was just welding them up, grinding them down, and then as little body filler as I could get away with. You are right those letters were the hardest part. That is why I said I worked on it for a couple of weeks (OK off and on over those weeks...) but either way I spent a lot of time getting those small details right. The 'R' was the most difficult because one of the mounting holes was right on the letter, and it made that job a bit more interesting...

However that is why they call it a hobby, if we did not like it so much it would be called work!

Thanks for following my build!
Old 01-28-2015, 12:39 AM   #234
75Dually

Great night to be in the shop. Started by taking the air ride valve apart on the #1 (drivers side front) assembly. Cleaned that dude until it was sparkling inside, made sure there was not a spec of anything on or in it, and then reassembled it. Fired up the truck and let the air system fill up, and that dude still was bleeding air past! I have cleaned that valve several times and it still bleeds air past and lets the front end rise up! Arrrggg!!!

Guys what am I doing wrong? It is letting air past the valve and allowing the front end to creep up on the front corner only, but the seals and the valve is spotless. What else should I be looking at? What have you guys experienced and how did you fix it? Please let me know...

We also got the drivers fender off the bench and bolted it up to the frame work for giggles and grins. Took the drivers side front fender off (now that I have a clean work table!) and started to strip it down so I can start the body work on it. Trying to get some work done while the weather is cooperating for the next 2 days, then we get cold again until early next week.

I want to get both front fenders in primer by mid next week, but that depends on the weather...

Let me know your thoughts on the air ride valve, need some help!
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2015, 01:09 PM   #235
bluex

On your valve while its creeping up try removing the soleniod from the valve or unhooking the wiring to it. Maybe you have some residual voltage causing the valve to slighty open? That or some part of seat is damaged or the spring is being overcome by the air pressure. Thats pretty much all that can go wrong with them if your using the seperate valves.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #236
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex View Post
On your valve while its creeping up try removing the soleniod from the valve or unhooking the wiring to it. Maybe you have some residual voltage causing the valve to slighty open? That or some part of seat is damaged or the spring is being overcome by the air pressure. Thats pretty much all that can go wrong with them if your using the seperate valves.
Thanks BlueX I will try that out. Hopefully I can narrow it down.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #237
stepside83

this is a cool build, one of my dream trucks bagged dually square body.....someday hopefully
stepside83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:11 PM   #238
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside83 View Post
this is a cool build, one of my dream trucks bagged dually square body.....someday hopefully
Thanks stepside83! It was a bucket list vehicle for me as well. Bought it right and have had a blast getting it this far. Stay tuned there is a lot more to come on this build.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:31 PM   #239
75Dually

It's Fender Tuesday! Fender Tuesday! :P

Jammin' tunes in the shop tonight trying to get this rough beast in shape. Had to hammer and dolly the inner lip a ton. This fender was a cheap body shop China fender and the typical areas that are smooth on an OEM fender are anything but on these cheapo fenders. Oh well they need to get done so we can roll on the 20th for Lone Star!

Stay tuned!
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #240
rudigginit

Your truck is freakin awesome!! One day ill build a slammed crew cab dually
rudigginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #241
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudigginit View Post
Your truck is freakin awesome!! One day ill build a slammed crew cab dually
Thanks Rudigginit! When you get the chance to build your ride post it on here so we can all check it out!
Old 02-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #242
rudigginit

I will! I have an 82 short wide but its my hot rod I will have a bagged dually one day though!
rudigginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:07 AM   #243
75Dually

So today the postman brought some additional hardware to my door! My replacement valve. I took several days going back and forth on which valve I wanted. Accuair or back to Airbaggit. Actually what I should say is I did not want to go to a 3/8" valve setup. So stupid me went and ordered a replacement valve body in hopes that it will work and I can move on for a while and concentrate on other things.

I hope this does not bite me!
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #244
bluex

I hope that fixes it, I have the same valve setup to put on mine. I was hoping the modular assembly would give less issues.

What did you order to replace it? I was thinking a generic style valve would work on this setup as well.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #245
SCOTI

Quote:
So today the postman brought some additional hardware to my door! My replacement valve. I took several days going back and forth on which valve I wanted. Accuair or back to Airbaggit. Actually what I should say is I did not want to go to a 3/8" valve setup. So stupid me went and ordered a replacement valve body in hopes that it will work and I can move on for a while and concentrate on other things.

I hope this does not bite me
!
What did the manufacturer have to say about the issue? Are they exchanging it for you?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #246
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex View Post
I hope that fixes it, I have the same valve setup to put on mine. I was hoping the modular assembly would give less issues.

What did you order to replace it? I was thinking a generic style valve would work on this setup as well.
I ordered the same valve as I have on the truck right now. How has your valve been so far? Any issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
What did the manufacturer have to say about the issue? Are they exchanging it for you?
Airbaggit is the manufacturer, and it was their valve I had the issue with. Now I did order the same valve to see if that would work, maybe just a bad unit the first go around (I hope). They were willing to help exchange it, but I was not happy (read pissed!) with them when I was on the phone with their manager. So I decided to just buy another off eBay and go from there. I am sure they would have in the end handled it correctly, but they wanted the valve back to test it and then fix it. I did not have time for that so I went a different direction.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #247
SCOTI

Quote:

Airbaggit is the manufacturer, and it was their valve I had the issue with. Now I did order the same valve to see if that would work, maybe just a bad unit the first go around (I hope). They were willing to help exchange it, but I was not happy (read pissed!) with them when I was on the phone with their manager. So I decided to just buy another off eBay and go from there. I am sure they would have in the end handled it correctly, but they wanted the valve back to test it and then fix it. I did not have time for that so I went a different direction.
This is one of the main reasons I refuse to ever suggest them for parts. How are YOU doing something wrong w/that one valve when you purchased a valve-block assembly? it's not like they were in service for much time.

They should have sent you another & then inspected that one once it was returned. That's customer service.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #248
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
This is one of the main reasons I refuse to ever suggest them for parts. How are YOU doing something wrong w/that one valve when you purchased a valve-block assembly? it's not like they were in service for much time.

They should have sent you another & then inspected that one once it was returned. That's customer service.
Scoti, I agree with you and tried to get them to see the light, which is why I was upset with them. Either way I had to find a solution because I did not really want to buy the 3/8" Accuair valve. Nice valve, but slow... BTW I have also have friends that have had the same issues with the Accuair valve as well. So I was no better off with either unit. Crossing my fingers that this one goes in and works from the get go.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:25 PM   #249
SCOTI

Quote:
Scoti, I agree with you and tried to get them to see the light, which is why I was upset with them. Either way I had to find a solution because I did not really want to buy the 3/8" Accuair valve. Nice valve, but slow... BTW I have also have friends that have had the same issues with the Accuair valve as well. So I was no better off with either unit. Crossing my fingers that this one goes in and works from the get go.
Hopefully it works in your favor.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-06-2015, 05:13 PM   #250
bluex

Quote:
I ordered the same valve as I have on the truck right now. How has your valve been so far? Any issues?
I just got the valve setup for Christmas and my frame an suspension parts are all over my garage waiting for cleanup/prime/paint. I might get it all assembled sometime this year. with the way my work schedule is going so far this year I might not though. I searched for any reviews on this style valve before deciding to go with it an came up empty mostly, I could hardly find anyone using them really.

I don't think airbagit manufactures them though. when I googled the part number on mine it brought up one of those web sites from China where you can buy shipping containers full of stuff for import.