The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
weq92f

A new option for you engine swappers...

My wife is in the Oil and Gas industry...whenever we see a Tesla I generally look at her and in a whimsical voice say "The Future..."

Well check this out...a SBC shaped/sized electric motor designed to replace an existing ICE V8 and mate to a manual transmission...

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/10/14/...v-conversions/

I don't believe it's possible to bolt on your front drive system and have this motor power your accessories though so this would require some additional planning to pull off. The technology is evolving still. Don't see that it would be too difficult to have a "crank" pulley equivalent sticking out the front there to power those accessories.

Still this is an option ( or will be when it hits the market ) and pretty dang cool in my book.

EDIT: More details: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.6jynaot9cbnq

-klb
Attached Images

99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold

Last edited by weq92f; 10-14-2019 at 02:06 PM.
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: A new option for you engine swappers...

Not everyone views "the future" as a cool thing , There are so many things the younger generations will never experience that happened in the 60's /70's /80's even the 90's that defined us . Technology has exposed the young to miss just being a kid when 5 year olds already carry the latest cell phone . Don't be in such a hurry to toss the past . most learn later in life it all passes by faster than they can imagine .

does it come with a synthesizer to make the vroom vroom sound or will it just be totally silent as to not offend the masses ?

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Not everyone views "the future" as a cool thing , There are so many things the younger generations will never experience that happened in the 60's /70's /80's even the 90's that defined us . Technology has exposed the young to miss just being a kid when 5 year olds already carry the latest cell phone . Don't be in such a hurry to toss the past . most learn later in life it all passes by faster than they can imagine .

does it come with a synthesizer to make the vroom vroom sound or will it just be totally silent as to not offend the masses ?
I agree
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
truckster

Most of us who drive classic Chevy and GMC trucks like the past.

My wife has a hybrid, but I'm not a big fan.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:17 PM   #5
Boog
laying low

Thank you no. Not for me. I'd rather use a push scooter.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #6
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I don't think it world handle mud bogs and such. I'm just getting used to the guys doing the LS swaps.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #7
Boog
laying low

Yeah, the LS swaps have already become passe. Everybody's doing them. I have seen some vids of converted bugs and busses and others to electric. Don't make me want one though. Have you seen any of the formula E racing? Formula 1 cars with E power. Yeah they zip around pretty good but it's just not right without the internal combustion engine sound. Like Richard Petty once said about the Busch series cars running the V6 engines "they just don't sound like race cars".

Hmf. I think I'll go out and start up my truck with a gas burning 358 and let it run while I enjoy that V8 sound.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross

Last edited by Boog; 10-14-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #8
Ziegelsteinfaust

I think you will see exponentially more Ford engines in Hot Rod Fords before this takes off.

It so bad right now I personally shake the hands of every person who has a Ford engine in a Ford Hot Rod.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:29 PM   #9
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
<snip>...
Just gear whine and wind noise methinks! Maybe for us there'd be some chassis squeak too LOL

-klb
Old 10-14-2019, 10:19 PM   #10
davischevy

Your wife's future is sound as long as I can pump 91 octane.

Electric motors are for cordless impact wrenches.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:45 PM   #11
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I think you will see exponentially more Ford engines in Hot Rod Fords before this takes off.

It so bad right now I personally shake the hands of every person who has a Ford engine in a Ford Hot Rod.
Can't shake my hand because my old Ford is SBC Powered.
Do you know why they put SBC's in old Fords?....Because they Fit!
Attached Images

Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:39 AM   #12
68bowtie

I think these are all valid points and opinions. But they are also why this site sometimes bites. It can be a very negative group. I wouldn't put one in mine, but It'd sure catch my attention if I saw one!

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:05 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

I don't think this site gets overly negative as a whole. I don't see that happening right here. I think when you get any group of people together on a topic the trend tends to be comments following along with the first one or two, negative or positive. Then comes someone with a view from another angle and some slide on behind that one. We are a bunch of guys who enjoy owning and working on older vehicles that we have only ever known to run on fuel pumping pistons. We didn't decide it was time for something else. But that is how the tech industry is wanting to take things and with the blessings of those who have no preference in what they drive other than as an expense to get them from point A to point B, and politicians pushing the green ticket. I don't want to put an electric motor in my classic or hot rod just because it is offered. I am sure my budget would not allow it anyway. I'm not totally opposed to the idea, but electric powered vehicles will have to become way cheaper and way more sensible. My fuel expense is a major factor in my monthly expenses, but my electric bill is next. If I could drive an economy car I think my fuel bill would be about equal to my electric bill. Charging an electric vehicle daily, I believe, would bring my electric bill close my cost of driving a truck on gasoline... I mean ethanol.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:23 AM   #14
A1971Blazer

There's really no way of knowing for sure..... because it happened before the advent of the internet and all the automobile sites and forums and such.....

But I wonder if people expressed the same sentiments about the "small block chevy" engines being swapped into everything coming and going... as a lot of people do about an LS swap?

I'm sentimental about the past too....I think overall, it was a much less stressful and happier time...but I do have electricity, indoor plumbing and many other "new-fangled" gadgets that make life easier....
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #15
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

I do see many 350 chevy engines in a lot of old cars and trucks no matter what brand,, but they do not fit in everyting because years ago I helped my brother-in-law put a 350 in a jeep truck and we had to cut the fire wall out where the distributor hit it .. Once it was in and had plenty of room for the dizzy ,,all was fine.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #16
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: A new option for you engine swappers...

The electric car has it's place in our world. I for one would own one if the right one ever came up to buy at a good price. I have been working on electric golf carts for many years and don't laugh because the golf cart industry is what has pushed the battery company's into making a better battery for the auto industry.
When you can build a battery pack that can go for 100's of miles on one charge then you are getting some where. Less than 10 years ago the batteries wouldn't go 20 miles on a charge.

Would I put one in one of my classic's no but I would drive one for local travel around the house.
Just a coincidence my wife has been at our beach house for 2 weeks without a vehicle other than our golf cart and hasn't had any problems getting to where she needed to go.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #17
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
Yes I do, but I prefer my Chevys Chevy, and my Fords Ford.

Unless they have something like a Hemi or 427 Cammer. Then they get a pass.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #18
truckster

I don't hate electric cars... One of the teachers at my school drives an all-electric Smart car. That's great for her. Her fuel costs are extremely low.

Here's the deal for me: When I get in my wife's hybrid and push the start button, it beeps when it's ready to go. Sometimes I shift before the car is ready, and then it doesn't go anywhere. In my Blazer and my Camaro, I have that nice V8 rumble that lets me know the car is ready to go. Since they're both convertibles, sometimes I leave the radio off and listen to the beautiful stereo sounds coming from the exhaust pipes.

If electric is your thing, good for you. But I intend to stick with my V8 rumble until I'm no longer able to drive.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #19
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
<snip>...But I intend to stick with my V8 rumble until I'm no longer able to drive.
Electric isn't my thing for sure...although I do enjoy jibing my wife more and more often as they show up around us. Never driven or ridden in anything more exotic than a golf cart really so I'm a total EV nube.

I too will always insist on the V8.

-klb
Old 10-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #20
loosenutz

I never thought I'd own one but last year we bought a Fiat 500e that just came off of a lease with 30k miles for $7000. I charge it with the solar panels on my house so the cost to operate is just registration and insurance. Will need some tires soon but pretty much maintenance free otherwise. It's perfect for around town but only has a 100 mile range so we can't leave the area with it. We have other gas powered vehicles for that anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
The electric car has it's place in our world. I for one would own one if the right one ever came up to buy at a good price. I have been working on electric golf carts for many years and don't laugh because the golf cart industry is what has pushed the battery company's into making a better battery for the auto industry.
When you can build a battery pack that can go for 100's of miles on one charge then you are getting some where. Less than 10 years ago the batteries wouldn't go 20 miles on a charge.

Would I put one in one of my classic's no but I would drive one for local travel around the house.
Just a coincidence my wife has been at our beach house for 2 weeks without a vehicle other than our golf cart and hasn't had any problems getting to where she needed to go.
loosenutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:07 PM   #21
jeffahart

I get it, the future is coming. But, you'll have a hard time talking me into putting an LS in my classic 70 truck. That thing... get that thing out of here! That thing goes in a 2020 school bus or something.

j
Old 10-15-2019, 05:27 PM   #22
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post

Those Ford boys, tell them they don't need to sit on a 9" incher to have fun. Get a Dana60 T-shirt to wear to the hot rod shows, and steal their last bit of dignity!

j
Old 10-15-2019, 08:29 PM   #23
powerdriver

Last edited by powerdriver; 10-15-2019 at 08:36 PM.
powerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:32 PM   #24
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
My girls grew up riding in the back of a 40 Ford Coupe with a SBC in it.

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:35 PM   #25
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
My wife is in the Oil and Gas industry...whenever we see a Tesla I generally look at her and in a whimsical voice say "The Future..."

Well check this out...a SBC shaped/sized electric motor designed to replace an existing ICE V8 and mate to a manual transmission...

EDIT: More details: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.6jynaot9cbnq

-klb
Stick one of them in your truck so I can check It out at C10's in the Park next year. I was parked just down form you, but didn't realize until I got home.