The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Claytona08

Project Platinum C10

Some of you may have seen my original post when I bought my project. For those of you that didn't here it is.------------------ "I have noticed this truck over the past 9 or 10 months but could never get anyone to speak to me about selling it. Finally a few days ago I stopped by and the old man told me he would let me have it for $700 and he made sure to tell me "Now that's cash money son" This guy is approx. 80 yr's old. He actually opened the door in his whitey tighties and a t-shirt with no shame and stood there and told me about the truck when he bought it and didn't have a care in the world that he was standing in his underwear. I have attached a couple pics of the truck I took the day I was talking to him. I'm thinking with a good wash job and buff it will look really good. I am going back today to pick it up. I looked it over quickly and didn't notice any dings in this truck. I wiped away probably 20 yrs of dust from the bed and the paint still looked great. The guy told me he put the camper not long after buying it. There is a little bit of rust on the hood (seen in the pic) and at the bottom of the driver door (Approx. 1.5" long). I think overall I got a great deal."---------------The truck is a Scottsdale with the original 4.1L inline 6 with a 4 on the floor, power windows, power locks and tilt steering. The day I picked it up I put a hot battery on it and it actually fired right up. After a quick check of the fluids, new thermostat and valve cover gasket I was able to drive this truck around town. I am excited to get to work on this truck.
Attached Images

Last edited by Claytona08; 05-19-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: text
Claytona08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
Claytona08

Re: Project Platinum C10

Here is the truck with the camper removed and cleaned up a little bit.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
Claytona08

Here is a pic that site member "McCoyAz" photoshopped of what I would like my final finished product to be. I am planning on ordering a 5"-5" DJM drop with 20x8.5 front, 20x10 rear Foose Legend rims painted metallic gray on top and metallic silver on the bottom.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
Claytona08

Ok guys, I'm not up to speed on lowering kits but could someone please guide me to which kit to purchase. I plan on getting this purchased in the next couple days. They are both for a 1984 C10 but I am not sure why they look different.
Attached Images

Last edited by Claytona08; 05-19-2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: text
Old 05-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
SkinnyG

Spindles do a better job of maintaining factory geometry and minimizing bumpsteer and tire scrub. If I have to choose, I choose spindles every time. My spindles just arrived this weekend....
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
Claytona08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
Spindles do a better job of maintaining factory geometry and minimizing bumpsteer and tire scrub. If I have to choose, I choose spindles every time. My spindles just arrived this weekend....
I see some trucks and the wheels bend in and I don't want that. Both lowering kits I am looking at are 5" front and 5" rear. Does this make a difference in my selection? I know the one with the control arms is more expensive so I was thinking it was the better one. But like previously stated.....I don't much about this topic. Also which gives me the better ride quality?
Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
SkinnyG

If the control arms have been fabricated such that they provide the same amount of travel, the ride quality should not be much different between the two. They likely have been fabricated that way.

Since spindles do a better job of maintaining factory steering and suspension geometry, the difference in ride quality will be more subtly improved - it should be better (not specifically "quality", but also "predictability" "grip" and "responsiveness." But these will be subtle differences that you may or may not feel, depending on your "oneness" with your vehicle ).

The spindles will indeed keep your tires more vertical (if that is what you meant by "bend in"), although I would hope the control arms would have been built to correct the camber change (but that is an assumption on my part).
Old 05-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Claytona08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
If the control arms have been fabricated such that they provide the same amount of travel, the ride quality should not be much different between the two. They likely have been fabricated that way.

Since spindles do a better job of maintaining factory steering and suspension geometry, the difference in ride quality will be more subtly improved - it should be better (not specifically "quality", but also "predictability" "grip" and "responsiveness." But these will be subtle differences that you may or may not feel, depending on your "oneness" with your vehicle ).

The spindles will indeed keep your tires more vertical (if that is what you meant by "bend in"), although I would hope the control arms would have been built to correct the camber change (but that is an assumption on my part).
Both kits are made by DJM Suspensions and both offer 5" of drop. The drop spindle kit is approx. $115 less than the kit with the control arms. Do you have to add some kind of ball joint to the spindle kit? I spoke with the folks at DJM and they informed me that the spindle application will work with stock Rallye wheels with some modification to the spindle itself and the rim and said that if I planned to switch between 20" rims and stock rims that the control arms are the better application for what I need. Would you agree with this?

Last edited by Claytona08; 05-20-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: text
Old 05-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
BigMike608

For mine I bought the following components...

Front:
McGaughy's 2.5" drop spindles: http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/lo...hys/6212.aspx#
Cutting coil on factory springs: free

Rear:
5" drop axle brackets: specialtyretail (forum member): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=576560
Western Chassis rear shock extenders: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ws...et?prefilter=1
Old 05-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
Claytona08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike608 View Post
For mine I bought the following components...

Front:
McGaughy's 2.5" drop spindles: http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/lo...hys/6212.aspx#
Cutting coil on factory springs: free

Rear:
5" drop axle brackets: specialtyretail (forum member): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=576560
Western Chassis rear shock extenders: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ws...et?prefilter=1
Thanks BigMike I will look into that. I love your truck in your profile pic. What kind of rims are those?
Old 05-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
77ChevySharkBite

Good looking truck Claytona08!!

Fellow Texan with another nice save!!

This is only an opinion, if your not set on the Foose Legends, you can look at the Boss 338's I believe they are and there like BigMike608 rims, there's also show stopper rims, which we have a vendor here that sells them too, you could always go Coy's if you wanted too. There's a lot of options for that style rim if your not set on the Foose Legend rims.

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
SkinnyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytona08 View Post
DJM... said that if I planned to switch between 20" rims and stock rims that the control arms are the better application for what I need. Would you agree with this?
I can't really disagree with the manufacturer/supplier, can I (tee hee).

I would agree that small diameter wheels fit better with the control arms than they would with spindles.

However,

Once the spindles and/or original control arms are clearanced to fit your wheels, they will now fit 20" rims and stock rims.

You can use the existing everything else when using spindles - no special ball joints or nothing.

I recommend spindles over arms. They will both work.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
Claytona08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77ChevySharkBite View Post
Good looking truck Claytona08!!

Fellow Texan with another nice save!!

This is only an opinion, if your not set on the Foose Legends, you can look at the Boss 338's I believe they are and there like BigMike608 rims, there's also show stopper rims, which we have a vendor here that sells them too, you could always go Coy's if you wanted too. There's a lot of options for that style rim if your not set on the Foose Legend rims.
Yeah I like the style of the Foose Legend and also the Boss 338's. I got a price here at a local tire shop for 20x8.5 & 20x10 Foose Legend rims and Toyo Proxes tires 255-40-20 front & 295-40-20 for 2900$ mounted and balanced with chrome lugnuts.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

I'd be tempted to leave that original color.....

Nice buy!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #15
Claytona08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
I'd be tempted to leave that original color.....

Nice buy!
I'm sure that would save me some money on paint!
Old 05-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #16
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Yeah I like the style of the Foose Legend and also the Boss 338's. I got a price here at a local tire shop for 20x8.5 & 20x10 Foose Legend rims and Toyo Proxes tires 255-40-20 front & 295-40-20 for 2900$ mounted and balanced with chrome lugnuts.
Talk to Discount Tire too man, they might be able to get you a better deal. That's if that wasn't who you talked too. I remember I really like the Legend wheels as well but I ended up not getting them, I'm still trying to decide what rims I want.

I bought some 20x8.5 for my dd about a year ago and paid about 2k for them. Mine are wrapped in Falken FK2 I think they are, but there 245-45-20 all around, but my next set of tires are going to be some nice good ones.

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
BigMike608

Quote:
Thanks BigMike I will look into that. I love your truck in your profile pic. What kind of rims are those?
They are 20" Coys
Old 05-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #18
Claytona08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77ChevySharkBite View Post
Talk to Discount Tire too man, they might be able to get you a better deal. That's if that wasn't who you talked too.
I talked to locally owned shop and the price difference was approx. 10$ difference. I'd rather give the hometown boy my money....lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
Claytona08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike608 View Post
They are 20" Coys
They look really good against your truck color scheme!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #20
bohmankid

It seems that almost everybody I've spoken to prefer spindles over arms as well. I can't say which is better, because the only thing I've used is spindles. My tires are bent in slightly.. I'm hoping after I replace the ball joints that it'll fix most of it, cuz my joints are shot.. I bought these DJM spindles and just cut my coils. The spindles touch the inside of the passenger wheel slightly, I'm just going to grind a tiny bit off.
bohmankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #21
Claytona08

Well it seems that I let the guys at DJM talk me into the control arms. He was rambling about "Better fit, new bushings, new ball joints, yadi yada...blah blah blah" Hope it's not a decision I will regret!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #22
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

If the wheels are canted after lowering any truck, its because you haven't aligned it yet. That's completely adjustable and in no way a bad reflection on any lowering components. Just align the thing, its all part of the lowering process.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #23
Claytona08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
If the wheels are canted after lowering any truck, its because you haven't aligned it yet. That's completely adjustable and in no way a bad reflection on any lowering components. Just align the thing, its all part of the lowering process.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the info. Good point!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #24
SeTx67

Quote:
Here is a pic that site member "McCoyAz" photoshopped of what I would like my final finished product to be. I am planning on ordering a 5"-5" DJM drop with 20x8.5 front, 20x10 rear Foose Legend rims painted metallic gray on top and metallic silver on the bottom.
Looks like you have it all planned out. Good to see someone close to me doing a build . I think silver ice metallic and black granite metallic would make a killer color combo. Black granite looks dark grey in good lighting and black in the shade. It's hard to get a good pic of it but this was about the best I was ever able to capture it in the sun

Posted via Mobile Device
SeTx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #25
Claytona08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeTx67 View Post
Looks like you have it all planned out. Good to see someone close to me doing a build . I think silver ice metallic and black granite metallic would make a killer color combo. Black granite looks dark grey in good lighting and black in the shade. It's hard to get a good pic of it but this was about the best I was ever able to capture it in the sun

Posted via Mobile Device
That is a nice color. I have been checking on paint prices in our area and seems that Jeff's in Silsbee is going to do the best job for the money. I have checked several other places as well.