The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #1
Tobraylor

1967 k20 lift kit question

I've never lifted a truck before but I want to put a 4" kit on my 67 k20. It is all stock except for the axles. It has 79' 3/4 ton suburban axles under it since my stock front axle had cracks in the differential. Its kind of nice cause now I have disc brakes up front. It also has no power steering still. I'm having trouble finding lifts that go back to 67. Any recommendations would be very appreciated. Thanks
Tobraylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:27 PM   #2
burnin oil

Re: 1967 k20 lift kit question

Measure the springs and make sure of the length. There has been many threads about 52" springs. My 72s lift kit was the same as the 73 up. For the rear look around and there is a company that sells a relocation bracket for the rear that uses the stock spring and gets 4" lift the correct way without added arch or lift blocks. I totally trashed the rear lift springs on my truck and they are bent at all 4 corners and I don't abuse it off road! When I replace them it will be with the relocation bracket and stock springs out back.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:10 PM   #3
Chknlyps2

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
Measure the springs and make sure of the length. There has been many threads about 52" springs. My 72s lift kit was the same as the 73 up. For the rear look around and there is a company that sells a relocation bracket for the rear that uses the stock spring and gets 4" lift the correct way without added arch or lift blocks. I totally trashed the rear lift springs on my truck and they are bent at all 4 corners and I don't abuse it off road! When I replace them it will be with the relocation bracket and stock springs out back.
burnin oil, is this the kit you are talking about? I know lots of people use them on 73 & up trucks. http://diy4x.com/product.php?productid=17730

This company has some for 67-72, they look different than the 73 up flip kits http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm

The only thing with a shackle flip is that it may change your pinyon angle enough that your drive line will vibrate. You may need to use wedges between axle tube & spring to get the pinyon back to being on the same plane as the transfer case output shaft.
Chknlyps2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:23 PM   #4
Chknlyps2

This is a good post from another forum showing a shackle flip done on a K5 square body. The last thing he put in the first post commented on the wedges to get pinyon angle correct but didn't show them. http://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/...o-Shackle-Flip

Chknlyps2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:34 AM   #5
burnin oil

No the part I was thinking of is not a spring over or shakle setup. It was a new frame bracket that lowers the entire spring down and gains 4" of lift with the stock spring. Any time the suspension changes there will be a driveline angle change and that can not be avoided without dropping the entire engine to transfercase lower in the frame. Dropping the rear of the tcase to fix angle issues will have the opposite affect on the front driveshaft angle. Rear shims only correct the axle angle. Google Spicer drive line manual and it has a wealth of info on setting driveshaft angles up. FYI 0 driveline angle is really bad also like your first picture shows. There should be around 1.5* in a perfect world.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #6
Tobraylor

Thanks for the feedback guys, I found some lifts that say they're for a 67, but my leaf springs taper in at the center from 3.25"-2.5". All the kits run straight 2.5" wide springs. Don't know how I'll make it work with my stock front shackles
Tobraylor is offline   Reply With Quote