The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
KellerMAC

Bed Liner Question

I have a question for you experts! I had my truck painted professionally about 2 years ago and it has been garaged ever since. They used PPG paint on the truck. I chose at the time to not paint the inside of the bed as I had plans to Rhino line the bed. So here is my question, I am ready to line the bed and have talked to several local shops that perform that service and they have all warned me that the tape they use to protect my paint job might accidentally pull off paint when they remove it after spraying the liner on the bed.

Question A: Is 2 years enough time for the paint to cure(truck was painted and then baked)

Question B: Has anyone faced my situation and did it anyway? If so, what was the results? Did the tape stick?

Question C: What is my alternative, if I get too scared?

Thanks

KellerMac
Old 05-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: Bed Liner Question

A: Paint cure is not the issue, it's the surface prep, good prep and the paint will stick, bad prep and the paint will........

c: Plastic slide in liner? I would say DIY bed liner but I have not seen one that looks decent.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
jocko

Re: Bed Liner Question

skip rhino and go with diamondkote - ask them if they'll ruin your paint and then decide.
Seeing as you just got the truck painted a few years ago - are you considering having the liner tinted to match? That's a nice option I believe. However, I do believe (personal opinion) that rhino lining hurst the trucks value - for old trucks like ours. It can't be undone (easily). It's a great feature on a newer truck because it's functional. If your truck was refinished - it must be kinda nice, so do you still haul stuff in it often? I've seen some folks get rhino lined becasue it costs money and the assumption is that you get your money out of it on resale, but I think that is only the case on newer trucks - and even then maybe not. Again, just my personal opinion. I have one rhino lined and another not lined. Like it better not lined on the old, lined on the new. And if the town I lived in had diamondlote when I had mine done, I'd have gone with that before rhino - it's very clumpy / thick, whereas diamondkote seems to look more "finished" to me.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote