The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
BanjoBob48

Having trouble finding a spare tire

I've been looking for weeks for a 15" rim to use as a spare for my 1970 C10.
I called every junk yard within a reasonable distance, and no luck.
I just got my truck, so I'm kinda dumb about what might work.
Like I said, it's a '70 C10 w/ 6 lugs.
I have deep dish chrome rims on her, and I'm running 265/75r15's in the back,
I'd guess the rims are pretty wide. I put 235/75r15's on the front so they wouldn't rub, and I assume I need to get a spare that is pretty close to the 30.7" height of those rear tires, so it doesn't cause problems by being too drastically smaller. I've heard if the spare is shorter that it could cause problems with the rear end.
This means (I think) that I need a rim that's wider than the stock 5.5 or 6 inch to fit a tire that will give me the greater height.
I've been looking on eBay and see rims made for the Colorado/Canyon which have 6 lugs and 5.5" spacing.
Would these fit?
I was told the center hole can be a problem too, but mine's a 2 wheel drive, so does it matter???
I mighta been a bit hasty putting on those 75 aspect ratio tires, now I have a ride that's squirrelly on the highway on windy days, and my accelleration has suffered as well. On the other hand, I'm not as tempted to act up, and those new Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor's do look nice.
David
BanjoBob48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:05 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: Having trouble finding a spare tire

I only carry a spare if going on a long trip. When I do carry a spare I just throw in an old 6 lug stock wheel and I don't worry about the size. For me a spare is used just long enough to get the flat tire fixed.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
neba

i had same problem.no one has a wheel thats 40 years old. what i found is a wheel from a chevy 4wd will fit but cant remember what years. 70's or 80's
are you sure handling problem at highway speeds is tires?
neba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
cdowns

the height of the tire isnt all that important// if you use the spare as a temp fix to get you home and get your problem tire fixed// as far as getting a rim you might have better luck going to a junkyard in person rather than over a phone or on the internet, a 6lug rim that fits your needs shouldnt b hard to find

as far as your handeling , do you have a front sway bar?have you checked the suspension? ball joints tyrod ends idler arm pitman arm some or all might need attention after 40years same with the rear trailing arm bushings
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 04-25-2010 at 08:07 AM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
GKsport67

I drove an hour & a half to get 4 80's model rallye's($80) to have a spare. I found them on craigslist. If i would've waited a day later there was some nearby for $110 with caps & bands.. I just look this morning and a guy selling a set for $50.

The 80's rallye is no match for the 6 lug vette rallye but i won't get stuck on the freeway!!
GKsport67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

GM 4X4 1/2 ton trucks, burbs, and blazers have the 6 lug that you need. Trucks up to 87, and blazers/burbs till 92 or so.
Size doesn't matter so much if used as a temp spare. You can get a tall by skinny tire that'll measure close to the tires you have now and it can work as a long term ugly spare.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
48richard

Most newer cars have those temporary spares that are way smaller than the regular tire, and they work, even if they look stupid. If you're really worried about the diff or have posi, just put the odd-sized spare on the front and move a good matching tire to the back. So long as the spare is properly inflated you'll be fine.
I bought a wheel for $5 and an almost new tire for $10 at a junk yard; with luck I'll never use them
Old 04-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
BanjoBob48

Thank you all for the helpful advice.
My Truck handled extremely well w/ the 275/60R15 tires on the back,
and 255/60R15 tires on the front, but when driving home on the new taller 75 aspect ratio tires at 70+ mph and sidewinds gusting to over 50mph I noticed uncomfortable body movement.
My truck has been pretty well worked over by someone who obviously cared a great deal about it so I doubt there are any issues w/ the suspension, but I won't rule it out.
I'll increase the tire pressure and drive slower on the highway, maybe consider swapping out the sway bar w/ one from a 3/4 or 1 ton.
I just checked out Craigs list and I'm going to go buy an alloy rally wheel from a guy that took it off of an '83 Chevy half ton for $50.
Nicer than I need, but it will put my mind at rest when I'm away from home.
I hate having to call a wrecker ... the cost for a spare will be less than one wrecker call.
Too bad it's 100 miles round trip to go get it, but it's still apparently the closest.
David

1970 Chevy C10 fleetside long bed w/ 350 w/ granny 4-speed
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
1981 Bajaj 150 2-stroke
2003 Ford Taurus
1982 Volvo DL
1973 Morris Mini
1984 Yamaha 750 Virago
Old 04-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

When I need a spare tire I just look above my belt!
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
mr48chev

Never assume that things are ok when it comes to suspension and brakes if you haven't seriously checked them out or had them checked out. A coworker just bought a spotless late 80's motorhome that had to have 1200 worth of brake and front end work done on it before he even got to take the first road trip on it. The great price all the sudden wasn't quite as great but he has a nice safe rig now.

As far as the spare, I think you are putting way too much into something that is way too simple. Plain six hole 15 inch wheels or aftermarket 6 hole 15 inch wheels are easy to find and inexpensive. A good used tire on said rim will get you home or to a shop to have your tire repaired. I'm like a couple of the other guys in that most of the time I don't even carry a spare when driving locally. My bad but I tend to forget to stick it or the jack or the wrench to take off the wheel in.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #11
BanjoBob48

Good point.
I WILL have the suspension checked and if there's anything that's not up to snuff, I'll have it made better than new.
I live in the country so there are NEVER any local trips.
I've been told I need to make sure the center hole is the right size,
and had other warnings about fitment which is why I've been obsessing over what will or won't work.
If I use a 275/60r15 tire for the spare, I'd think I'd need a rim wider than stock.
I thought I was pretty sharp about these things but I haven't done anything but build Earthmover tires for Goodyear since 1977, and back then I wasn't dealing w/ antique parts and everything was much simpler.
It's funny ... if you don't have to do any wrenching for well over 30 years, you get pretty rusty. but when working long hours almost every day, it's quicker and easier to just pay someone else to do everything for you.
David