The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2005, 12:37 AM   #1
roj2323

Thumbs up Lowes

Over the last few months I have been searching for a store to buy tools and the other supplies I need for working on my truck. Like most of you when I’m going out locally to get something I’m looking for something basic like a grinder or various abrasives. Well believe it or not I had the hardest time finding what I needed when I needed it for the price I wanted. Pretty typical I know but here are a few examples.

I had been looking for a 4.5in grinder for 2 months. My requirements were simple somewhat cheap but not crap with a warrantee. Here’s what I found:

Menards - high end $80+ or junk $10
Home depot - high end only
Ace hardware - medium quality for high-end prices
Lowes - medium quality 39.95 with a 3yr warrantee

Sheet metal
All 4 stores carry it but Menards and ace are the high priced ones. Home depot actually has the best selection but Lowes seems to have better quality.

Flap disks
Out of the 4 stores only ace hardware and Lowes carries them. Ace hardware's price is $3 more and the quality is crap due to a metal backing. Grits ranging from 40-120 are available at both however Lowes is the better of the choices again.

Ease of finding things
Out of the 4 stores I would say there all pretty much the same however you'll find that home depot and Lowes are less likely to move things around.

Availability of odd things
I found surprisingly that Lowes carries tons of things we use that are rarely found elsewhere. Here are a few examples:
A large variety of welding sticks as well as a well stocked welding section, ingersol-rand air tools, a decent selection of paint guns, a good variety of safety equipment, tools that are clearly displayed and within reach for seeing how they feel, oh and most importantly Lowes employees who actually give a dam and know what there talking about instead of acting like it.

Anyway the short story is,
Give Lowes a try you may find it to be a great place to find what you need at an honest price.

Ondrew
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Re: Lowes

Got a killer deal on a Dewalt 4½" angle grinder about 2 months ago. I picked it up as an open box item for $35 or $40 when the normal retail for this year's model was almost double that.

My only gripe is their garden department down here sucks and the lumber is great, but they don't have the equipment to cut a 8x4 sheet of OSD in half longways. Their tool department never fails to amaze me though - great selection, good quality, excellent prices. I have even gotten them to price match against other local stores if I find stuff cheaper elsewhere!

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 03:25 PM   #3
roj2323

come to think of it you do make a valid point. there gardening department is a pain to navagate. i'm not sure on the lumber though since i've never made into that department.
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:12 PM   #4
Jebb1978

Hmmm, well about 4 years ago our nearset Home Depot closed for a year to rebuild the entire store. It was right after they closed that Lowes moved in just a few major blocks away. Everyone I knew at that time agreed that they were overpriced. Eventually the Home Depot reopened and Lowes closed this huge new store soon after. I think that it is an Ace Hardware now. I prefer Ace over all of them, they always have the bolt I am looking for and nobody else ever has it. Regardless of the size they just never have "that size". Just my input.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
navybear70
hometown heroes!

I'll shop Lowes for lumber; Lowes and the NEX for garden supplies; Lowes, Home Depot and Sears for tools; but for all my quick needs and little items I shop the local Ace.(I try to support the little guy, but price matters too!)

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. -Robert E. Lee

"Never give up ground you've already taken." -Unknown

Last edited by navybear70; 11-30-2005 at 12:35 PM.
navybear70 is offline   Reply With Quote