The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2020, 04:35 PM   #51
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Re: Project black-ops

Wow! It was sure nice to start with from what I could see.

Neighbors love guys like us I'm sure LOL
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #52
dandansuperman

LS Swap

I found a used GEN III 5.3L /4L60E combo on Ebay with 95K miles and scored it for $2800 plus shipping. I spent weeks stripping it down and cleaning the rust off the block with a wire wheel and paint stripper. I decided to use POR15 engine paint because of how durable it was on my last engine. I also replaced the water pump, power steering pump, starter, knock sensors, installed all new gaskets (including heads) with a Mahle gasket kit. The exhaust manifold bolts were broke off in the heads (nightmare) so I used a welder to get those removed. I spent countless hours getting the carbon buildup off my intake, and pistons with Mopar combustion chamber cleaner. Overall, it turned out pretty good.
Attached Images

dandansuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:55 PM   #53
dandansuperman

LS Install

I finished the LS build with a cam upgrade from Texas Speed along with the LS6 valve springs. I picked up some long tube headers, oil pan, and LS adapter plates from Speed Engineering. I also replaced the engine and transmission mounts with Performance Online urethane mounts. I already had a transmission cross member from my 700R4 that I picked up from ECE (crying...) and my drive line fit great.
Attached Images

Last edited by dandansuperman; 09-10-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:07 PM   #54
dandansuperman

Other Upgrades

I picked up a door latch kit from Trique MFG because "slamming doors sucks". I also rebuilt my rear drum brakes, installed all new stainless brake lines from Inline Tube, and a stainless E-Brake setup. I put in my Boyds welding tank and my CPP LS fuel line kit. I decided to upgrade to a 5 lug conversion with Wilwood disc brakes up front. I just put stock 1971 rotors from Napa on for now. I had to modify my rear drums because my axles stick out more not allowing the drums to slide all the way on. I had my buddy with a CNC machine cut out some spacers for me.
Attached Images

Last edited by dandansuperman; 09-10-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:12 PM   #55
dandansuperman

The last owner did an amazing job at covering up the bad spots with bondo and paint. I expected some rust because I could see bubbles forming on the bottom of the doors. I welded in heater delete panels and a fuel neck filler and started to smooth the firewall. The body shop took over in May and has started cutting out rockers, floor pans etc... If I would have known it would take this long I would have tackled those panels also.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2020, 05:52 PM   #56
dandansuperman

A few more pictures. I had to get CPP engine mounts because my headers were touching the stock ones. I also ended up selling my small block for a good chunk of money that bought my Vintage Air AC system, and Dakota Digital gauges. If you are in the market for Vintage Air or Dakota Digital check out Cameron Richards at Premier Auto Sales and Performance. His customer service is unreal. I have been pretty disappointed in several vendors so far in this process, but not Cameron.

https://www.facebook.com/PremierAutoMT/
Attached Images

Last edited by dandansuperman; 09-10-2020 at 03:56 PM.