The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
angelobackwards

Brake line routing - 77c10

Hey guys I’m fixing to run front brake lines on my 77 c10 chassis. I just bought new flex lines to the calipers. Looking for pics/info of what ppl have done from the flex line through the frame to their “T” or master. Looks like the fitting from the flex hose is about 1/2”male, I haven’t found anything locally for an elbow from the 1/2” to the 1/4 (female to female/my hard lines are 1/4”) and don’t wanna run a bunch of fittings if possible. All Thanks for any info.
Attached Images

angelobackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: Brake line routing - 77c10

The ends of the flex lines have both external & internal threads.

The external threads are used with a thin jamb nut to secure the flex lines to the frame.

The internal threads should accept the inverted flare nuts on the hard lines. And there should be a cone shaped seat at the bottom of the inner hole that seals against the flared end of the hard line. The factory hard lines usually had a fairly sharp bend close to the end instead of using a separate elbow fitting.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #3
angelobackwards

Re: Brake line routing - 77c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
The ends of the flex lines have both external & internal threads.

The external threads are used with a thin jamb nut to secure the flex lines to the frame.

The internal threads should accept the inverted flare nuts on the hard lines. And there should be a cone shaped seat at the bottom of the inner hole that seals against the flared end of the hard line. The factory hard lines usually had a fairly sharp bend close to the end instead of using a separate elbow fitting.
Right after I posted this I noticed the flex line was threaded! Guess I should have looked first. . I have a bunch of spare 1/4” line and the fitting off the flex is 3/16 so I’m gonna try and find an elbow or adapter to run my 1/4”. This should take care of the problem. Now just need to find a jam nut. Our chassis didn’t have any lines so I’ll be making a trip to the store again.
angelobackwards is offline   Reply With Quote