The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #26
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

Re: S10 build up for kid with Epilepsy

I'll send it to ya, if it doesn't work out maybe you can sell it for a little boot for the project.

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:03 AM   #27
AceX
>130dB Moderator

I'm getting 2 amps, a set of component speakers, and a power distribution block for the stereo. All from Pioneer and Stinger.

Twin 2 ch amps: Pioneer GM5300T
6.75" components: Pioneer TSD720C
Distro block: Stinger; 4ga input with twin 8ga fused outputs.

I'll need to grab some RCA's, fuses, speaker wire, and I also need to know what kind (if any) power block you're running for the compressors so I can determine if another fuse block is needed.

I'll be purchasing and shipping everything as soon as my tax return $$$$ arrives in my beloved checking account.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #28
Twisted Minis

Holy crap dude!

I hope you're getting a deal on it, that's a lot of stuff.

For the compressor, it's going to be one inline fuse and an 80 amp relay.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #29
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Hmmm... ok, because I'm trying to figure out how it would be best to organize the wiring so we don't have like 4 pieces of large wire coming off the terminals.

We have one wire on each terminal now correct?

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #30
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Big Kudos to AceX for the huge donation he's doing! That's great of you to do! Twisted, if there's anything I can do that isn't money related (unbelievably short on that here) let me know!
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
*Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #31
Twisted Minis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceX View Post
Hmmm... ok, because I'm trying to figure out how it would be best to organize the wiring so we don't have like 4 pieces of large wire coming off the terminals.

We have one wire on each terminal now correct?
Ya it's just got one to the starter currently. If I run a Stinger or similar battery post with two 4GA outputs, that will be enough. One for the starter, one for stereo distribution. I generally jump the compressors off the hot wire on the starter, making it another direct connection. It just keeps the clutter down on the battery side. I hate seeing a cluster of wires coming off the top of the battery.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:33 AM   #32
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Ok, because what I was thinking I might do is get a block that has a single 0ga input and four 4/8ga outputs, so we would run just one wire from the battery (albeit a BIG wire...) and then run all the other wires from the block. We could have a separate wire for the starter, compressors, and stereo.

Let me know how you wanna do it and I'll either change the block I have on order or just leave it as is. My tax return $$$ just came in tonight (finally!!!) so as soon as I hear form you I'll be sending off the money for the parts.

Also, are you gonna be the one doing the install? I think if we asked lil moe really nice he might build a box for us. It will probably be bright pink until it's painted, but he's pretty dam good at it by now.

EDIT: If James doesn't have time/want to do it, I'll try and squeeze some time out to get down there and bust out a box. Does he like fiberglass and neon, or does he want something more subdued like my boxes? I have an idea of what I'd do, but I'll go about it differently depending on what the guy likes.

BTW, what's his name?

EDIT2: What size are the speakers in the doors...? I never thought to ask...

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

Last edited by AceX; 03-11-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #33
Twisted Minis

I don't like the idea of running one large cable to a distribution block, and then from there to the starter. The starter wire needs to be as short and direct as it can be.

We could run a battery terminal with two 0GA outputs, one to the starter, and one to a block with two/three 4GA outputs. Then we can run to your fused block for the stereo, and an inline fuse for the compressors.

As far as the install, I will probably do it. Since I am donating my shallow 8s, they are already in a box that will actually fit well on the "shelf" behind his seat with enough room for the seat to slide all the way back still. So basically, this is going in it:

I just need to get him a couple sets of nice RCA's, and some nice speaker wire, and try to get my interior guy to cover it. It's got room for a decent size amp in the middle. I don't know how big the Pioneer amps are? I don't know if two would fit, but if they are shallow one might fit under the seat?

The goal is keeping this thing really simple and understated. We are having a rendering done that should illustrate that.

His name is John.

There are no speakers in the truck at this point. No head unit, dash insert, nothing. The guy stripped everything out before selling. I haven't even looked to see what size speakers would fit. I am thinking a 5.25" would fit easily in the stock location, but I don't remember seeing holes. This thing doesn't need a big high end system, he says he just wants it to bump a little bit. He can't tell the difference between the RF speakers in the truck I just bought, that don't work right, or the $400 ID 6.5" component set in my friends truck. So anything that doesn't go all static will probably suit him fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceX View Post
Ok, because what I was thinking I might do is get a block that has a single 0ga input and four 4/8ga outputs, so we would run just one wire from the battery (albeit a BIG wire...) and then run all the other wires from the block. We could have a separate wire for the starter, compressors, and stereo.

Let me know how you wanna do it and I'll either change the block I have on order or just leave it as is. My tax return $$$ just came in tonight (finally!!!) so as soon as I hear form you I'll be sending off the money for the parts.

Also, are you gonna be the one doing the install? I think if we asked lil moe really nice he might build a box for us. It will probably be bright pink until it's painted, but he's pretty dam good at it by now.

EDIT: If James doesn't have time/want to do it, I'll try and squeeze some time out to get down there and bust out a box. Does he like fiberglass and neon, or does he want something more subdued like my boxes? I have an idea of what I'd do, but I'll go about it differently depending on what the guy likes.

BTW, what's his name?

EDIT2: What size are the speakers in the doors...? I never thought to ask...

Last edited by Twisted Minis; 03-11-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Twisted Minis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #34
AceX
>130dB Moderator

I'm not 100% sure that the amps will fit in the center, but I doubt that both would. What you could do is place one in the center (for the subs) and one under the seat (mids/highs).

The parts should be at my house by the 21st. I wanted to inspect the equipment and makes sure its all good before I send it out to you. I also opted for the 6.75" components instead of the 5.25" set. I figure if you're the one doing the install and you have some time, then fitting a slightly-larger-than-factory set of speakers should be easy.

I'll give you an update as soon as I get the parts and post pics just for kicks.

I'm checking with my room mate on some parts he has lying in the rafters collecting valuable dust and spider webs.

For the rest of you guys reading this, there's still lots of parts that need to come together to help finish this thing out. I know at least one of you guys has an empty air tank just lying around, or a pressure switch you swapped out! Go into the garage. Find a box to ship it in. Send it to Seth. Smile.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

Old 03-12-2009, 01:40 AM   #35
Twisted Minis

I need to update the list, we got an air tank and pressure switch, as well as a compressor relay donated. I will do it in the morning, beat right now. The one big thing we still need is compressors.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:45 AM   #36
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Strange enough, my room mate and I were just talking about this. We might have a pair of compressors that you can have. I'm not 100% sure that they work, so we're going to test them soon to see if they do.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

Old 03-12-2009, 09:04 AM   #37
OrangeAnimal

This is really cool. It's good to see people helping out. I am going to look around and see if I have anything of use. I wish I lived out that way I would love to help out. I am pretty handy with a sawzall LOL. No but really if you need anything custom made to fit let me know I am known for making little odds and ends.
OrangeAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #38
Twisted Minis

Okay I updated the list, it looks like the only things left that we need are:

Compressors
Drop Spindles
Front Shocks
S10 Diff. Bracket
Some fittings
Air Gauges
And a 3/4" rod end
Old 03-13-2009, 07:04 AM   #39
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Hey man, got real busy and didn't get the notch mailed yet. I'll send it out today.

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL

Last edited by dieselarmy13; 03-13-2009 at 07:05 AM.
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #40
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

what kind of Fittings are you looking for Size? I have some 3/8's T's, 90's, bulkheads, PTC and compression. I also have some guages and switch's that I'm not using, I can take them off my truck this weekend. The fittings haven't been used. I also have a old thomas compressor. I think it's a 33% duty cycle. And depending if I get digital guages I can send you 50' of 1/4 air line. Let me know!

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #41
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

oh and I forgot, I have a bunch of RCA cable's if you still need them.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #42
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Got the stuff today. Look to be in working order.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #43
Twisted Minis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 View Post
what kind of Fittings are you looking for Size? I have some 3/8's T's, 90's, bulkheads, PTC and compression. I also have some guages and switch's that I'm not using, I can take them off my truck this weekend. The fittings haven't been used. I also have a old thomas compressor. I think it's a 33% duty cycle. And depending if I get digital guages I can send you 50' of 1/4 air line. Let me know!
I need a couple of 1/4" NPT to 3/8" tube PTC fittings, nickel plated. Other than that, I need miscallaneous pipe fittings.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #44
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Notch was sent out Friday. Sorry it took so long. Should be there Thur.

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:56 PM   #45
Twisted Minis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselarmy13 View Post
Notch was sent out Friday. Sorry it took so long. Should be there Thur.
No worries. We aren't pressed for time yet. I just really appreciate the donation! I can't imagine those notches are that cheap to ship.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #46
OrangeAnimal

Any new pics of the truck in progress?
OrangeAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #47
Twisted Minis

There is no progress, the truck isn't coming into the shop for about another month.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #48
f.monroe

What spindles are you looking for ? Any specific spindle or will these work ? Ebay Item number: 260378714892 . If those will work , I will see if they can just ship them to you and I will take care of it from here . I read this post and you guys should be commended for putting this together for a kid that sounds like he deserves a little help on this . Let me know .
Frank
Old 03-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #49
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

Great Show guys. This is awsome. You are all good people for helping John out with his truck. He has some good friends. I am sorry to say that I am unable to help with this build.
LOW DOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #50
Twisted Minis

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
What spindles are you looking for ? Any specific spindle or will these work ? Ebay Item number: 260378714892 . If those will work , I will see if they can just ship them to you and I will take care of it from here . I read this post and you guys should be commended for putting this together for a kid that sounds like he deserves a little help on this . Let me know .
Frank
Technically those would work, but I would rather not set him up with Chassis Tech spindles. I'd rather have him buy a set of BellTech spindles for $20 more.