The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #1
ScottN795

65 Suburban - Upper Door Jam Rust

Hello All,

I have recently acquired a 65 Suburban in exchange for a bunch of parts laying around our shop. I've been wanting one of these for years and finally have one, sort of... The issue, there is rust almost everywhere. The typical rust is there; fenders, front floor board, rear rockers, above the windshield and doors. The roof, drip rails and, rear floor (including barn door sill) actually look very good. Which leads me to my quandary...? I have several 60-66 trucks laying around (5 total) with plenty of clean sheet metal to fix the Suburban. Specifically, I have a fairly clean 65 cab that has most of the pieces I need. I also have good doors, hood and front fenders, so I'm not concerned with these parts. This will be a tremendous amount of work, and a very slow process, which I completely understand. My father in law is an old retired body guy, so I feel I have a great local resource. I could possibly try and find a clean Suburban to start with, however to generate the funds needed to buy one, I would likely need to sell a 72 Nova SS that I've owned for almost 20 years and did nearly a frame off on years ago. My kids don't remember a time before the Nova. I really don't want to to do that...

So, I'm thinking of doing way more work than probably makes sense on a truck that should likely be parted out. However, the primary cost I see is time and effort, and the few sheet metal pieces I will actually need to purchase, which aren't that expensive.

With all that said, I'm curious if anyone has documented the upper door jam replacement on 60-66 truck or Suburban? I'm also looking for feedback regarding the rear rocker replacement on these Suburbans. I realize that these rockers aren't officially offered for Subs, but I believe they are the same as the bed of a LWB truck? If there is an example of anyone doing this, I would appreciate being pointed that way as well.

Here are a few pictures to show what I'm talking about... I know it's bad Much worse than anything we've tackled for sure.

All input is appreciated!

If I do go forward with this, I'll document my steps and keep the list updated...

Thanks!
Scott
Attached Images

ScottN795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:39 PM   #2
ScottN795

Re: 65 Suburban - Upper Door Jam Rust

A few more pictures to show what I'm talking about. You can see the rear sill for the barn doors is actually very solid, but the lower part of the slider windows, not so much Both front doors close very solid, so I think there is some steel still left in the body...
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2019, 01:13 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

While what you have there is going to be quite a bit of work, the '60-'66 suburbans and panels are getting harder to find, especially in decent shape. And when you do find one, you never know what some previous owner has covered up. If you have the time and skills to make it happen, I would fix what you have. And when it is done, you will know exactly what you have with no hidden surprises later on. Yes the rear quarters on the suburbans can be repaired with pickup bed repair panels.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #4
ScottN795

Thanks Captain for the feedback. I think that's direction I'm going to go. It will be a lot of work, but you're right, when it's done, I'll know exactly what I have. Once I get started, I'll document the progress as we're hopefully able to save what would have been otherwise a "parts" car for most. As my father in law always says, they aren't making anymore "old" cars (in this case 65 Suburbans), so we should save all of them we can.