The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

'Burb rocker panels

Has anyone done a set of rockers on a 'Burb/Panel? I'm trying to fit a new one and it doesn't seem to be "deep" enough. The top fits much better than I expected but the bottom curve doesn't work out. Either the curve lines up but the "pinch weld area" doesn't reach the inner or the inner fit's up(almost perfectly) but the curve is off of the body line. I asked in the body forum but didn't get any answers or even speculation.
If it even quits raining I will measure and take pics.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: 'Burb rocker panels

Back when I did mine, I used PU rockers.
Had to do a lot of fiddling to get it to work.

Most of my rust issues were in the lower part of this section, so I ended up cutting the new part up just for the areas that needed it.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:10 PM   #3
pritch

Keep us up to speed on how this works out. That's coming right up on my Panel, too. I need new rockers, front floor support (it's been awhile since I looked, but I think just the driver's side) and the dash, which I already have a good one to go in.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

pritch, I found a reference to "burb rockers, which I'm assuming means there is a difference, but it's my parts guy's anniversary and so I'm waiting to call tomorrow. I'll post back what I find. If I'm right the "burb rockers will be deeper from the pinch weld to the curve of the body line on a 'burb at least at the rear. The PU rockers I have fit near perfectly at the top and bottom but the body line is in about 3/8 to 1/2 inch. If I pull the bottom of the rocker out so the body line matches I get that same amount as a gap between the two halves of the pinch weld. I don't have the fender back on to see what I have on that end.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:37 PM   #5
pritch

See, I kinda half remember a thread long ago about this and I think the gist of it was how the poster had found the correct parts from a vendor, but I can't remember which one. Ever since, I've just had it in the back of my mind that they are different, and it's gonna be a PITA finding them when the time comes. So I hope your guy has them!
Ol' Green
Old 04-20-2015, 10:11 PM   #6
Livrat
Member #1049

Interesting, I would like to see pictures of your rockers, I have done several burbs and panels using standard truck rockers for the front and a
burb specific 3rd door rocker and have never had a fitment issue, granted I did have to modify the passenger side truck rocker to fit the burbs.
Attached Images

Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I'm waiting for the roofers and painters to let me have the driveway back so I can get some pics of how it's fitting. I did figure out that I can make it work out and look right but it will be quite a bit more work.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #8
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livrat View Post
Interesting, I would like to see pictures of your rockers, I have done several burbs and panels using standard truck rockers for the front and a
burb specific 3rd door rocker and have never had a fitment issue, granted I did have to modify the passenger side truck rocker to fit the burbs.
That's how I did it.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:03 AM   #9
pritch

My friend has a print version of these guys' catalog, and it seems to show a specific rocker for 'Burb's (so, Panels) I did not download the catalog to provide a link, though.

https://www.fillingstation.com/catalog.htm

His only complaint about buying from them was that it seemed to take a long time to get stuff.
Ol' Green
Old 05-10-2015, 03:25 PM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

OK guys, finally had a chance to get back on it. I got the rocker fitted. I guess I didn't recognize the problem the first time I put it in place but since it's my first one... I'll beg forgiveness. The replacement rocker evidently "spread" some at some point. When I fit it the first time, it was spread just enough to lay way under where it should have. I think two things affected it. First was the spread of the Pinch area from the Sill area. That spread was maybe a 1/4 in. but I also had the rear of the rocker about 1/8-1/4 down from the spot it needed to be. Since the pinch area is narrower on the replacement than the original, this made it drop below the bottom edge of the inner rocker. So the "fix" was to squeeze the rocker to get it to the right 'spread' and tap it up into the area at the rear of the door opening until it was high enough. I still had to take it off a couple of times and squeeze it until the bottom of the pinch area and the inner were at the same 'depth'. It's in and the rear is tacked. The door is on and the fender is hanging in place with part of the bolts started but it's raining again so I can't finish the fender so I can final weld it until I see how the front fits.

Other than having to take the whole side of the truck apart(meaning door, cowl, and fender and thus hood) this wasn't that difficult except for my panic when things didn't "fit" when I went to put the new one in. That and waiting to be able to work on it due to the work being done on our home. The spot weld cutter from NT worked fine but you need to make sure and get a good dimple punched for the guide to fit(it's spring loaded).I used a NT automatic center punch and just did 3-4 punches a spot.Also watch your depth, I went thru in a couple of spots, causing me to have to weld up a hole or two. The bolts holding the fenders to the grille and rad support are a real pain to get your hands into and need a LONG extension to get to.

Pritch, the one you posted seems to be a 3rd door replacement rocker.

Once I got the rear fitting, it seems to be really close. The front bends in the replacement are a little off but not too bad to handle.It also looked like the front will be pretty close but I didn't have a chance to finish putting the fender on so I can't really tell how much I'll need to metalwork that yet.

Last edited by PanelDeland; 05-10-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:15 PM   #11
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Not sure if this will help, but here is an NOS pass, front panel.
Attached Images

70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:38 AM   #12
pritch

Good to hear, Leon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Pritch, the one you posted seems to be a 3rd door replacement rocker.
Yeah, probably so. I wish I could find that thread I was looking for. It may not even have been here where it was. Oh well. As long as what's available fits, I'm happy!
Ol' Green