The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #1
Jayschevy

Raised Stock Steel floor Pic Request

I need to raise the steel floor on my 71 by 6". I was wondering if anyone has any good pictures of how they raised their stock steel floor (not wood). I've searched on here and haven't seen much showing the stock bed floor. I've seen mostly wood floors raised.
I plan to cut the lip on the front bed panel and raise the lip that attaches to the bed floor by 6". I'm just not sure what to do with the bedsides. Raising that lip will not be as easy due to the contours of the inner bed sides. Any pics of how any of you have done it will be appreciated.

Thanks
Jayschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
Woodnears

Re: Raised Stock Steel floor Pic Request

the only way I have figured out how to raise the inner bed panel lip is to have new panels made from sheet metal. im in the middle of this on my wood floor but I think it would be the same for steel floor. i am thinking i will leave the stock inner sides in there and just simply cover with new panels. the contours are not too difficult to replicate and you could use a fancy sheet metal screw to put them in place if you didn't want to weld them in.
i raised my floor 11 inches and have made a new frame structure and support pieces under it. ill get ya some pics if you need me to. For the front panel i ws gonna use the existing panel except make a new piece much like the sides. the real tricky part is matching the wheel wells to match the contour of the inner bed panel. Mine will most likely just be a flat panel with that contour removed that way i can still bolt up the original wells. i might throw a bead roll in the panel to give it some strength.
Woodnears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:13 PM   #3
dec010974

hello guys. I'm glad we are on this subject. my thoughts would be to use the current, bed floor braces as a reference point in the raise floor build. underneath the bed floor, there are braces that are used to position/mount the bed floor. weld some 1x1 tubing, in place, so that bed, without the stock floor, can be mounted in a fixed position, so that the stock floor can be removed. once these fixed positions can be seen, the new floor can be built from there. 67-72trucks, I explained it the best I could. if anyone wants to share ideas, pm me your number. clark. also if someone can post pics we all would definitely appreciate it.
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:17 PM   #4
Woodnears

Here's what I did
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #5
dec010974

Woodnears, that's a great idea. my raised floor may be a lil different, but I got the idea. can you post a few more pics?
Old 04-21-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
Woodnears

sure, I can post whatever you would like to see. its hard to get a good overall imgae because my garage is small and the bed is quite large. Ill post what i have and if you need any additional photos just let me know.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:20 AM   #7
Woodnears

Another
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2015, 11:22 AM   #8
Woodnears

Here's another
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
Woodnears

The front bracket serves as a mount for my accuair exomount and the lid is released with a hood release from inside the truck. That way not everyone can get in there. Also I can have access to the air system, battery, and add fuel when needed. My testament to this is, the hardest part is the inner bed panels and that's just because I don't own an 8 foot sheet metal brake. I'll be adding struts to keep it up if it's not too heavy after the wood floor is installed. Feel free to ask of you need more pictures of anything in particular. Btw the round tubing is just 1.5" roll bar tubing and is pretty cheap at the metal yard. The square stuff is 1" square tubing, also cheap.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:09 PM   #10
dec010974

Thanks for sharing Woodnears.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #11
tinydb84

Here is how it was done on a few square body trucks. I would assume you could do something similar.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=526497&page=8

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=640843&page=4

I didn't link the actual post but rather the page with the posts as there are questions and answers/multiple posts to look at.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:04 PM   #12
smbrouss70

I sectioned the inner wall to raise mine 6.5". I only took pics of the progress when I was practicing on a junk bedside. I wanted to keep the wheel tubs stock but have the lines in the bedwall line up with the tubs. They also retain the ability to un-bolt them like factory. The only problem that I had was when I raised the section of the wall that the tubs bolt-in to, it came very close to the outside wall of the bed, so I had to angle that section in and pie-cut the wheel tub at the same angle. You will probably also notice that I learned that my plasma cutter DID heat up the outer wall when I was making my cuts, you can see the discoloration below my cuts. I'm not sure if it did slightly warp the outer bedside or not, but when I made the cuts on the good bedsides I had some plate asbestos in there to block the heat.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:07 PM   #13
Woodnears

I like what you've done and I did think hard about doing that to mine but to clear my extreme dropmember I would have to remove a lot of the panel. Therefore I thnk it will be easier to produce new panels.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:51 PM   #14
Hart_Rod

Here's how I did mine. They are sectioned 4" and widened 1". The fit the contour of the bed and the lines match up. I am currently having a mold built off of them so I can start making them in fiberglass.
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:47 AM   #15
Hart_Rod

More pics
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote