The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2015, 03:14 AM   #226
K20chevy

Re: Ice cream getter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONOSADSACK View Post
K20
I replaced the old bar with a four point over the rear passenger area. Our local sand dunes require either a bar to be behind the rear passenger’s heads or they must wear helmets. The bar is not really visible with the top on but I mounted permanent fastening plates to the tub allowing for easy removal when not wanted. The picture was taken before I had the bar powder coated.
It looks great! thanks for the pics and info! When do you think you´ll have it on the road? Really curious to hear how you like the Deavers!

That rule is so funny. I can see the roll bar or cage making sense, but how is a helmet going to protect you the same as a roll bar? I´m sure the helmet could not withstand 5000 lbs on top of it! Glad you went with the roll bar. Did you powder coat it black or the same green as the truck? I like how it is hidden below the hard top!

68 Chevy K20 Panel truck, build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...41#post7263441
K20chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #227
1972 Jimmy

Quote:
K20
I replaced the old bar with a four point over the rear passenger area. Our local sand dunes require either a bar to be behind the rear passenger’s heads or they must wear helmets. The bar is not really visible with the top on but I mounted permanent fastening plates to the tub allowing for easy removal when not wanted. The picture was taken before I had the bar powder coated.
Truck looks great!!! Silver Lake is a must with the top off! I put a full cage in mine for the same reason. Have fun in the sand this summer!
Eric
1972 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:59 AM   #228
SONOSADSACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20chevy View Post
It looks great! thanks for the pics and info! When do you think you´ll have it on the road? Really curious to hear how you like the Deavers!

That rule is so funny. I can see the roll bar or cage making sense, but how is a helmet going to protect you the same as a roll bar? I´m sure the helmet could not withstand 5000 lbs on top of it! Glad you went with the roll bar. Did you powder coat it black or the same green as the truck? I like how it is hidden below the hard top!
I was able to put a couple hundred miles on it last fall but they were all on-road miles. So… I can’t say how the Deaver springs handle in the sand. I think they are great on the road. Not bad at all for a short wheelbase, lifted truck anyway. I may add a sway bar yet at some point in time? I agree, the roll bar/helmet rule is silly. I don’t exactly run the dunes hard anyway. In fact I usually take it nice and easy so the chance of me ever really needing to use the bar should be zero but things do happen. I had the bar powder coated black. I can’t believe I don’t have a finished picture!
SONOSADSACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #229
SONOSADSACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 Jimmy View Post
Truck looks great!!! Silver Lake is a must with the top off! I put a full cage in mine for the same reason. Have fun in the sand this summer!
Eric
That's the plan.
I'll keep any eye out for you. I'd love to get a bunch of forum members together this summer at SL!
Old 02-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #230
SONOSADSACK

Quote:
It’s been a few months.... Everything has been plumbed with the exception of venting and all of the wiring has been completed. I’ll snap some pictures next time I’m under it.
Where I left off… I vented the gas tank using a vent from II Much Fuel. I wanted the vent as high as possible but did not want stink in the cab when the top is on. And a couple of random pictures from the bottom side.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2015, 10:43 AM   #231
SONOSADSACK

Once the vent was mounted I was able to move on to the rear interior panels. I blasted and mounted the stands. I also added 3M clear film to the top of the box sides in an attempt to save the paint from the top when it is on. Time will tell how well that works out.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #232
K20chevy

Quote:
Once the vent was mounted I was able to move on to the rear interior panels. I blasted and mounted the stands. I also added 3M clear film to the top of the box sides in an attempt to save the paint from the top when it is on. Time will tell how well that works out.
Looks really awesome! And thanks for the info on the springs! Keep up the good work!

68 Chevy K20 Panel truck, build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...41#post7263441
K20chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:03 PM   #233
JJH Jimmy

Quote:
That's the plan.
I'll keep any eye out for you. I'd love to get a bunch of forum members together this summer at SL!
Your Blazer looks amazing! I love it! Count me in on the Silver Lake get together! I'll be there.
2021 GMC 2500HD Duramax AT4

My "It's a Jimmy Thing" Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=583528
Budget Build 1985 K20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801565
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:15 PM   #234
SONOSADSACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy View Post
Your Blazer looks amazing! I love it! Count me in on the Silver Lake get together! I'll be there.
Thanks for the compliments. It’s a nice driver Yours is really looking great though. I look forward to seeing you up there.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #235
SONOSADSACK

I had some decent carpet strips and a pair of really nice interior quarter moldings stashed away so I sent them off for chroming. The carpet strips were a little bent up and the chrome was shot but the quarter moldings were near perfect with the exception of a bit of pitting/rusting in the very center of each of them. I told them I wanted the carpet strips to look nice as they will likely get scratched again but I stressed I wanted the quarter trim to be perfect. The carpet strips came back nice and the quarter molding came back with the center rust removed but the pits remained and they warped the snot out of them. They are not only warped so they won’t lay flat but they also have a large crown to them. To add insult to injury, they tried to charge me $150 for each of the two pieces they ruined. Needless to say I didn’t pay and the guy on the other end of the phone call and I are no longer friends!
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #236
Low Elco

Sorry about the bad luck on the trim. Rest of the truck looks fantastic. Glad you're still around!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #237
SONOSADSACK

Next up was the interior quarter panels themselves. I wanted to have the same guy that did my seats do these as well but he didn't believe he could get the scroll pattern to match the door panels. Overall I was not impressed by the quality as I didn’t care for all of the wrinkles or loose fit look of the vinyl or Naugahyde or whatever the material is. The next issue I had with the panels was with fitment. I was not sure how they are intended to fit behind the doors but if I tucked them in behind the B pillar the panel was too long at the rear of the truck. Placing it on top of the B pillar was clearly not an option.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #238
SONOSADSACK

What I wanted was an easy way to have the panels removable from inside the truck with the top on. Remember I have a double wall top. I also have a bar that runs parallel with the top of the box side as part of the roll bar, limiting the panel’s ability to be tipped as being removed. I also didn’t want to see any hardware. Velcro to the rescue! To resolve the fitment issue I had to cut off several inches of material which I probably would have had to do anyway because of the limited amount of movement available when pulling the panel up and out. I also would not have been able to use the quarter trim without reworking the top edge of the interior panel and the trim would have had to been attached to panel rather than the box side. I guess it all worked out in the end.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2015, 02:39 PM   #239
SONOSADSACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Sorry about the bad luck on the trim. Rest of the truck looks fantastic. Glad you're still around!
Just took a little break! Besides, I like it here too much to go for good.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #240
1972 Jimmy

Quote:
That's the plan.
I'm all about getting together at Silver Lake. Need to get my Jimmy painted and back together first!!!
Old 02-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #241
Matt's k5
BLAZER THIRTY!!

Way jealous! Any way I can send you mine and have you work your magic? , Matt
Attached Images

72 HIGHLANDER K5 BLAZER 2nd owner

71 K5 MAMMA'S RIDE!
63 GMC 4X4 305 V6
62 GMC SHORT BED SERVICE BODY V6 (STUMPY)
74 GMC CUSTOM 1500 L/B
Matt's k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #242
Madtrucker

Nice to see another Michigan project. Any of you guys ever make it to the Woodward cruise? What's up on the deaver springs, that application isn't posted on their site. I remember considering them for my k10 also, did you just have to have them made? I'll be more interested in road handling than off-road.

Btw my only problem with your truck is its exactly the way I want mine, and I'm far from it. One of my favorites!
My 68 lwb-swb 4x4 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=527176
1972/68 blazer 4x4 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=641824
Madtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #243
SONOSADSACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt's k5 View Post
Way jealous! Any way I can send you mine and have you work your magic? , Matt
Jealous?
How many Blazers do you have? Keep up the great work on the wife's. Its coming along nicely.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #244
SONOSADSACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madtrucker View Post
Nice to see another Michigan project. Any of you guys ever make it to the Woodward cruise? What's up on the deaver springs, that application isn't posted on their site. I remember considering them for my k10 also, did you just have to have them made? I'll be more interested in road handling than off-road.

Btw my only problem with your truck is its exactly the way I want mine, and I'm far from it. One of my favorites!
Thanks for the compliment. I've never been to Woodward but it looks like a good time and it is on my bucket list. I ordered my springs over the phone. Never actually looked on their website for them. On the road they do ride very nice.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:50 PM   #245
tim's68gmc

very nice job on your blazer.

check out my ground up. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=659403
1947 ford 1.5 ton dully
1997 f-350 1 ton
2007 Chrysler 300 with hemi
tim's68gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #246
SONOSADSACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim's68gmc View Post
very nice job on your blazer.

check out my ground up. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=659403
Thanks - it's a lot of fun too!

Your Jimmy looks nice and I dig the father son project
Old 05-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #247
orange72blazer

I got a chance to see this Blazer in person this past weekend, even got a few pics of it in action. You did an amazing job on it, it looks & sounds great.
Attached Images

orange72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #248
orange72blazer

A few more pics.
Attached Images

orange72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #249
1972 Jimmy

Awesome Pics!!! Good to see your enjoying it! Can't wait to get mine done and play in the sand as well!!
Old 05-27-2015, 07:51 PM   #250
SONOSADSACK

orange72blazer
Wow. So cool to see pictures and thanks for posting them. I only took one picture all weekend and didn’t think to snap a picture of my own truck. Thanks for the compliments. The thumbs up and kind words from strangers really made for a great weekend. I was very happy with the way it preformed overall. It feels good to have something with a little pep under the hood too. I looked all over for some of you guys from the forum but didn’t see anyone. Please tell me you were not sitting right behind me in your bright orange Blazer and I missed it??

1972 Jimmy
I am absolutely enjoying it and I hope to see you in the dunes soon.
P.S. They also work well for getting Ice Cream

My one and only weekend picture and one I found on MLive.
Attached Images