The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2015, 12:01 AM   #1
Smokey burnouts

Please tell me I'm ok

Got this K5 about a month ago and I guess like everybody else I'm slowly messing with things getting the little things fixed and back working. In doing this I realize the wire on the sending unit for the coolant had a bad connection and was causing my gauge not to read. Now that it's fixed it is showing that the truck is running hot, way hot. I have tried an advanced auto parts radiator thinking that maybe mine was busted (which it does have a small leak at the top of the tank). Well that radiator got really hot really quick so now I'm back to the original four row all brass radiator and it's still reading hot.

I'm hoping that since I've been driving the truck for a month with 60+ mile trips in 85-95° weather and it's never actually what I would consider overheated and steam blowing out of the radiator. Maybe it's one of the sending units with the wrong resistance and the gauges reading inaccurate?? Ideas??

Think I'm picking up an infrared heat gun tomorrow and going to try to get a reading off the thermostat housing or the hot side of the radiator and see what I get.

Thanks
Daniel
Old 07-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
pound41

Re: Please tell me I'm ok

check both sides of the block you might find another temp sensor
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #3
bamachem

Did you replace/check the thermostat before you swapped radiators? It may be stuck or corroded and impeeding flow. Could also be a bad water pump and it's not putting out enough flow.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
Smokey burnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamachem View Post
Did you replace/check the thermostat before you swapped radiators? It may be stuck or corroded and impeeding flow. Could also be a bad water pump and it's not putting out enough flow.
Yeah I checked it and it opens and closes. I just put in a new one that's 180* where old one was 195.

When I hit engine with IR thermometer the corner of the rad tank(where the engine coolant enters) I was reading about 196*, at the manifold right below chrome thermostat housing reading about 185*, but now if I shot the temp sending unit(manifold mounted) or right below it was reading 215-220*
Old 07-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
truckster

OK, this may sound like a simplistic question, but when you start the truck, does the temp gauge gradually move to hot, or is it there right away?

If it's gradually moving, I'd echo what others have said and replace the thermostat.

If it's reading hot as soon as you turn on the ignition, you've grounded the wire to the gauge.

As far as being OK, Chevy small blocks are generally pretty forgiving. Just don't do what my father-in-law did and put a hose in the radiator when the engine is overheated.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #6
mtully79

Check your water pump as well. If it's not pushing enough flow you will run hot.
mtully79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
87Skier

It could also be the wrong sending unit. They have varying resistances.

Verify with a heat gun or something else to ensure that it is actually running hot. I once watched a guy working on his Ford spend about 8 hours working on it thinking it was overheating, replaced a ton of parts, only to find out the sending unit went bad.
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #8
Smokey burnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtully79 View Post
Check your water pump as well. If it's not pushing enough flow you will run hot.
I am noticing that it will climb in temps when I'm coasting, ideling or generally low RPMs but when I get on the throttle the temp will drop..... To me that sounded like could be a weak water pump.....???
Old 07-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #9
bamachem

Sounds like it to me. Could also be poor radiator flow (plugged) and when you increase RPM, you increase fan speed, drawing more air over the fins. Could be either. The water pump is less than $30 and only takes a few minutes to change out. Not so lucky with the radiator, but you should be able to look into the radiator to see if there's a lot of scaling and buildup inside.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #10
Smokey burnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamachem View Post
Sounds like it to me. Could also be poor radiator flow (plugged) and when you increase RPM, you increase fan speed, drawing more air over the fins. Could be either. The water pump is less than $30 and only takes a few minutes to change out. Not so lucky with the radiator, but you should be able to look into the radiator to see if there's a lot of scaling and buildup inside.
It looks pretty good in there also decent flow coming through the top rows/channels that are above the coolant level
Old 07-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #11
mtully79

I had similar problems, I went with a 3 core aluminum radiator and stewart phase II pump. I added (2) 14" electric fans as well, might be overkill but I sometimes sit in a lot of beach traffic in the summertime and the fans make a big difference.

Good luck with the diagnosis, sounds like you are on the right track and have some great minds on the forum to help you along the way.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #12
mtully79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey burnouts View Post
I am noticing that it will climb in temps when I'm coasting, ideling or generally low RPMs but when I get on the throttle the temp will drop..... To me that sounded like could be a weak water pump.....???
Don't forget increased air flow over the coils can drop temp when you're moving.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:45 PM   #13
viking427

IR gun is a the right tool. Doesnt sound like exhaust gasses are making their way into the coolant circuit - usually you cant keep coolant in the radiator when that happens, unless its a very small leak. Might be running lean - check carb jetting and timing.
viking427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #14
franken

Does it have a fan shroud? It should, and the fan blades should be about half in the shroud.
You might replace the belts since there may be slipping and chances are they need it.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #15
sawman

sounds like you belt is lose,when you throttle up belt tightens up,
sawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:59 PM   #16
BobbyK

Location: Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,Mi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Does it have a fan shroud? It should, and the fan blades should be about half in the shroud.
You might replace the belts since there may be slipping and chances are they need it.
Fan shroud will make a BIG difference...especially at low speed.
BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #17
Smokey burnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyK View Post
Fan shroud will make a BIG difference...especially at low speed.
It has a shroud.... Think I got the temp good to go now, all new coolant and a 180 thermostat. So far it's hoding up fine. Thanks for all the help
Old 07-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #18
asolde

What did you do to fix it?
asolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #19
Smokey burnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asolde View Post
What did you do to fix it?
Think putting the lower thermostat helped the most, still think it's gets hotter than it should but then drops and stays pretty decent
Old 07-12-2015, 02:09 AM   #20
bp71k5

I don't think 195 is very hot. That's stock operating temp for the later model V8. I run mine at 195-210 with electric fans and fuel with fuel injection. Its probably just fine.
bp71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote