The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
All#sMatching71GMC

68 C-10 Chevy LWB "Basket Case"

Hello everyone, new to the forum, not to 67-72 Chevy's! Found the forum on a google search, while looking for some pointers on body to frame brackets...why is there a difference between bed to frame brackets on a gmc and a chevy? The middle brackets are bigger on a chevy, or is just on the variance of the years between frames?? Is anyone familiar with this?
I built a 70 C-10 5 years ago and have been kicking myself in the butt ever since I sold it! I recently stumbled across a deal on an 68 C-10, this thing is a totally basket case. (1st pic)
It was a Georgia truck, so it's pretty solid, especially the frame for a 68. Most of the rot spots are good body wise, the drip edges and windshield are great. The standard cowling areas need some attention, and some rot on the bottom (like the cab mount supports...but with original cab corners) Isn't that wierd!? I think I can deal with the cancer on the cab, if not I guess I'll have to shell out some dough.
I'm looking to build a solid work truck. I have a solid C-20 frame, from a 71 GMC, the 68 cab, some solid 68 thru 72 front clips, good doors, and all the stuff in between...Are there any known conflicts between chevy frames and gmc cabs? Theres something between beds, thats for sure! lol I have lots of extra parts, been saving them since the last build...I'll have leftovers! lol
I need to find another cab and shortbed, I have another longbed with one bad side, maybe a candidate for a conversion to short box? I have another C-10 frame 6-bolt drum all around with the trailing arm setup, no leafs...was wondering about doing a short box truck with this frame. It's super solid, and is the one from the 68...(Last picture)
I'm doing the work truck first, I need a better cab to start with for a short box truck, that will be the one I strive the most for perfection with!
The main thing for now is my 68 cab resto...(2nd and 3rd pics) I don't think there are any conflicts with a 69-72 front clip and a 68 cab are there? I'll have some more pics to post soon...
Thanks for looking, and any advice or input is always appreciated!
It's not going to be a show truck, it's going to be a go truck!
Attached Images

All#sMatching71GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
gdavis

Re: 68 C-10 Chevy LWB "Basket Case"

Welcom to the board. Your shorty look solid. keep up with the pic and I hope to see your progress.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
All#sMatching71GMC

Some more pictures:
Inside cab above windshield
Below dash
Front Clip
The different bed mounting brackets...?
Underside of cab...(Top right of pic is drivers front)
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
All#sMatching71GMC

And some more pics...
The cab is gutted...
Totally stripped out...Getting uglier, but not to bad!
Needs Inner/outer rockers on both sides
And some cab corner mount supports (possibly all 4)
And I couldn't help but blast up the super solid grill!
Getting ready for more blasting, cutting, drilling, and grinding!!
Then some real primer!
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
gdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by All#sMatching71GMC View Post
And some more pics...
The cab is gutted...
Totally stripped out...Getting uglier, but not to bad!
Needs Inner/outer rockers on both sides
And some cab corner mount supports (possibly all 4)
And I couldn't help but blast up the super solid grill!
Getting ready for more blasting, cutting, drilling, and grinding!!
Then some real primer!
Are you planing on chnging the dash. I se tha someone gutted the radio space. Mine was the same. the dash was my easy fix. about 2 hours and the new one was in.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
All#sMatching71GMC

Here is the days "progress"
I'm still in the "does my truck love me or hate me phase!"
Sandblasted the bottom side this afternoon at work to find the spot welds, I found more holes than spot welds! Not what I was looking for! I have some more cutting in the floor. I was hoping to steer clear of cutting on the floor...
I couldn't resist taking a pic of the new temporary panels just to see how they'd fit, and how much this work is worth it! I had these "universal" pieces lying around from a basket case I got up in NY State, come to find out they were already hacked on! They make great templates! lol
I thought initially I was just looking at 2 cab supports/inner/outer rockers and a couple spots here and there....Now it's about half a dozen spots on the floor and 3 of the 4 cab supports, along with the usual suspects here and there.
Those who say rebuilding a southern truck is easy, should stay as far away from this thread as possible! I'm getting into the 40 yr old red mud on this build, and dang it, it was suppose to be a work truck!
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
All#sMatching71GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
Are you planing on chnging the dash. I se tha someone gutted the radio space. Mine was the same. the dash was my easy fix. about 2 hours and the new one was in.
I don't know what I'm doing with the dash yet. I have a couple other dashes pulled from some other trucks they'd be good candidates. And your right, they aren't to bad to change out!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #8
All#sMatching71GMC

Well I've been busy with work and family lately, and the time I do get I've been staying up late, learning all these great ideas, tips and tricks from all the great builders on here! I can't quit reading some of these build threads!!! Wow! Again, what a great place for the lovers of these trucks!
So I've done a some wielding on the cab, tailgate, and the tops of my doors. I've got to fab up an inner rocker panel yet, then I'm ready to wield in the bad passenger side floor spots, cab supports, inner outer/rocker, and cab corner, last but not least the lower part of the cowl vent, and more wielding on the cab drip rails!! There is sure to be a lot of fittin' and fabbin' in between those commas! lol
I'll be blasting the pieces I've made later today. Then hopefully getting a chance to wield them in later on tonight. More pictures to be coming soon!!
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
gdavis

looking good keep up the good work. It looks like you have aton of work to do. But Rome wasn't built in a single day. Pictures are great they tell a lot.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
1968k10blue

any more progress on this build? I would definitely like to see more! (plus a little bump for ya)
1968k10blue is offline   Reply With Quote