The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Pacific Fabrication

Building a winch bumper, Looking for some feedback

A bit of introduction. Pacific Fabrication is your one stop custom automotive fabrication shop that will satisfy all of your specialty automotive needs. Whether you're building a custom hot rod, a street car, or an off road vehicle, we have the tools and experienced staff to do a complete and professional job. We specialize in custom suspensions, race car fabrication, restorations, complete wiring harnesses, tube bending, and metal fabrication. We sell and install everything from a simple set of wheels and tires to lift kits, lowering kits, custom airbag systems all the way up to aftermarket superchargers, turn-key Chevrolet LS motors, and complementing LS swap parts.

We are currently prototyping a winch bumper for the 67-72 chevy trucks, blazers, and suburbans. Before we finalize the design we would like to get your feedback. Good or bad. Heres some pictures of the current bumper.

We would really like opinions on the sides.
option 1

option 2

option 3

-Its built to accept all of the warn winches, forward mount or bottom mount. Pictured with a 12k forward mount.
-Uses 2.5" round LED turn signals
-Cut outs for Square driving lights
-The center will be 1/4" steel for strength, the rest 1/8" to cut down on weight.
-Tow points for D-Rings integrated
-We are thinking about options as far as tube grill guards and headlight guards.
-No cutting of stock sheet metal or grill. Unless you want to, Then we will have an additional set of holes for you to tuck the bumper even farther back (likely around 1"-1.5").
-Should fit 2wd and 4wd trucks.

(yes this is being modeled on a 2wd. It will also be getting lifted in the front to level it out.) Oh and take a peak under the hood.
Pacific Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
68panelman

Re: Building a winch bumper, Looking for some feedback

I like option #2.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

Looks good, and welcome to the board!

So nice to see a shop cater to the 4x4 scene in regards to old iron trucks.

Personally, I'd like to see the sides angle up rather than squared. Possibly just continue the angle from the front center, then let it continue to the outer corners. So I am leaning towards option 3

What's the price range going to be on this when you get it dialed in?
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I believe I would make the center an in or so deeper(top to bottom) and lower the winch and tuck it under a bit.Shouldn't affect approach angle much if any and would allow the bumper to "tuck" a bit more.

You did ask for an opinion.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
into69z
"brand new second-hand"

I like the angle on option #2....a nice grille guard maybe like to factory optioned type( I think it was factory,maybe not). Wonder how much spring you will have to add to make it balance( I have a big block with dual batteries)............very cool idea however-thanks
67 Camaro
96 Impala ss-sold
04 hybrid Honda-saving gas for the blue truck!:
b69:
into69z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #6
extd56

That would look good on my crew cab, not that I would ever use it.
Attached Images

extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
Sequoyah
so easy a caveman can do it...

I'd say a variation on #2. You should take the angle from the very front of the hood and change the area on each outside part of the bumper and use the same angle to wrap it around. IMO it should relate to the truck somehow and what someone above said...a grille guard that is made from flat stock that is bent. I've seen pics before, but I just don't have any.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242380
Sequoyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

I like the angle on option #3, but I think the bumper would look better and get more attention if the bottom of the bumper was angle in. It seems bumper companies like Road Armor and such have a big following, and I do like the looks of their angle in bumpers. I have never seen one designed for our trucks that has this angled in affect and a lot quite like your design. My 2 cents. Trevor
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
OJ1988
Just a car guy

Just doesn't look right. But, I can't really offer much more than what others have said.

Maybe a sharper angle from the winch to the ends, when viewed from above? Get rid of some of the mass. Its just to big and bulky, doesn't flow with the truck, imo.

Great craftmanship though.
1970 C20 tow rig
OJ1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

They're all too bulky. That's as simple as I can put it. I'd go for a narrower more tapered to the ends look. End up with no more than 4" at the ends. I think you have one too many sections on each side. I think if it was straight across the center,then angled back,with ends on it,possibly angled a bit,it would look better.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #11
elks

For me they look fine. I understand why people do not want the bulky aspect, but form follows function. I say it look fine. I would hesitate a bit due to the approach angle restriction. But then again I committed a sin and shaved my body to improve this. There are bumpers set up with hidden winches. They hide the winch up under the front between the frame rails, below the radiator. I would like to see an after market bumper that provides the strength of an aftermarket with the hidden/tucked in effect. Over all they look finne. Add an elk killer grill and sell the heck out of em. PS here is the bumper on my 72 blazer. Not perfect, but I like the open look of the ladder style...

Old 10-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
SS Tim

Option #2 is close but still needs tweaking to flow better. You should also consider offfering it without cutouts for the pre-'71s.
A diamond plate step surface on top would be great to have as well. A flat stock guard should also be explored. Here are some found pictures.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #13
OJ1988
Just a car guy

That last one on the yellow truck looks great!

Elks, I like your tube style one as well.

Boy this takes me back to my jeep days.

I have contemplated building a 4x4 69 as well.
1970 C20 tow rig
OJ1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
Pacific Fabrication

Thanks for all the feedback guys. We dont have a price just yet but I will keep you guys updated when we nail down one.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
stich626
Account Suspended

have you tried one without thinning(height) the ends.. with a bumber that bulky, I'd think it look better if the height was the same on the sides as the center..
and in doing so, will being the bumber line in line with the lower edge of the front wheel lip..
also on a truck of this vintage, and the idea of off roading..
I'd send the rectange "driving light holes" stiaght to the drawing board, and make round holes that a nice big hella light will fit..
I like option one, but with that said ,you are like an inch from the wheel opening, maybe exstend it a little more and follow the wheel opening curve so the bumper look like it belongs on the truck... it's already a tank.. and the extra 6 lb of steel isn't gonna make or break the shipping..
and yes I'd put one on my 2wd if the top wasn't open like it is for the winch,, as it(the winch) that size is overkill on a 2wd truck.. but a bad@zz ,get out of my way bumper is just the ticket..
YOU ASKED
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #16
Beelzeburb
Devil's in the Details

I personally prefer look #3 with the little bit of angle like the stock bumper. Of course, I'd also go for the tuck back 1.5" option and paint mine white if I were to ever order one. My question is, where will the D-rings attach?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #17
1972RedNeck

I like option 2. Could you post some pictures of how it is mounted? Would it cover the park lights on a GMC? I would be more interested if a grille guard was made into it.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #18
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I prefer option #3.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #19
bigbadchev72
People know me

I also prefer option #3 I think that the round driving lights look alot better than the square ones as well. I am looking at buildinig something very similar to this one once my Jimmy sells. I really like the clean look of this bumper and Would also be interested in a price if you think you could make one similar.

1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:11 AM   #20
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadchev72 View Post
I also prefer option #3 I think that the round driving lights look alot better than the square ones as well. I am looking at buildinig something very similar to this one once my Jimmy sells. I really like the clean look of this bumper and Would also be interested in a price if you think you could make one similar.

I second this design, but I like that your design has the extra edge as it transitions from front to top. I like how this bumper tucks under the fender. I do realize that the requires cutting the fender.

For sides, I like option #2.
I also agree that driving light should be round, not square.

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:40 AM   #21
72gmguy

option 2 is sweet! But agree that round lights look better.

1969 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1971 Blazer partial 2wd convert
1972 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1970 Blazer 4x4 w/ 2 1/2in lift and 33in tires w/4 wheel camper
1970 4x4 suburban w/ 6in lift and 35in tires
1968 Corvette convertible
1970 Malibu convertible
1959 Brookwood wagon
1972 International Scout ii
72gmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #22
Cumminpwr11
Southern Nevada Coal Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadchev72 View Post

jumping in on this a little late, But who builds this bumper pictured? I want one. any prices?

Chris

72 Suburban, 1 ton dodge chassis 4wd cummins, DTT 47rh 89%, PDR VE 3200 spring, PODS, Piers Turbo.

36 Chevy P/U rat rod project. 4bta cummins
Cumminpwr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #23
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminpwr11 View Post
jumping in on this a little late, But who builds this bumper pictured? I want one. any prices?

Chris
Kennesaw Mountain
member Swyfor5 bought one... in the $800 range.. but had some issues. You can read the whole ordeal in the link below.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=336921

Lets keep this thread on track for Pacific Fab....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #24
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I was looking thru this thread again and thought of something you may want tp consider.Though it's a good looking piece and seems well built,I doubt you will find it commercially viable.The reason for that is simple.These trucks are 40 years old.Some are used as true offroad vehicles,but most are just for show.The ones used for real offroad stuff are generally built by the owners who have fab equipment at their disposal.I think most will build their own custom set-up using the ideas they get from bumpers they see. Just my opinion and you probably know your market better than I.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #25
Pacific Fabrication

Got a 4x4 to mock it up on and snapped some pictures.